Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with any experience with R Lauren's "Purple Label"?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I'd stay away from all Asian slave labor made stuff unless you want something cheap and disposable. A lot of stuff from high-priced designer brands can look good in pics, but is absolute crap in person

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
But, with respect, that's no different than all those repro flying jackets out there with tags that are 99% copies of original military tags!
The difference is that none of the repro jacket makers hold themselves out to be a designer, as Ralph does. In Seventh Avenue parlance he is a knock-off artist. He's got a lot of chutzpah to call himself a designer.

That said, I like it when he digs up old designs and brings them back to life for the RRL line. Sure he has them made in the third world for peanuts and sells them at bespoke prices but hey a guy's gotta put food on the table and jets in the hangar.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thanks for that biit of information!!!! Very interesting.
TJ Maxx have designated "runway" stores that get designer goods from the likes of RL and from stores like Barney's and sell them at a steep discount (70-80% off). Lots of the stuff ends up on eBay after a healthy markup.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The difference is that none of the repro jacket makers hold themselves out to be a designer, as Ralph does. In Seventh Avenue parlance he is a knock-off artist. He's got a lot of chutzpah to call himself a designer.

That said, I like it when he digs up old designs and brings them back to life for the RRL line. Sure he has them made in the third world for peanuts and sells them at bespoke prices but hey a guy's gotta put food on the table and jets in the hangar.

Meh, to call anyone a "designer" in fashion is kind of crazy since in clothing there has been nothing that hasn't been done before for decades. I think when it comes to that jacket, copying the label is part of the concept, surely. I think it adds something amusing and camp to the whole thing.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep. I am glad he does all the repros. Even with the cheaper lines you can find some jewels. He doesn't only go for the obvious (flight jackets) but also stuff like hunting jackets, workwear that isn't just a chambray shirt...I think this is better than artsy fartsy stuff with big holes, neon colors and skirts for men.

But to the original question: I don't know about his leather jackets. I only have purple label linen jackets and they are very well made. But since the choice of leather is so important this doesn't really compare.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you mean? Pitti Uomo guys with bespoke jackets made of fluffy towels? Just kidding.
You have to cut him some slack. He was "stealing" 1930s styles since the beginning. When it was NOT trendy at all.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You have to cut him some slack. He was "stealing" 1930s styles since the beginning. When it was NOT trendy at all.
If you read my post above you'll see that I've given kudos for just that.:)

But when Ralph walks into the Charles Department Store in Katonah (NY), which is stocked with classic American workwear, and buys one of everything for the sole purpose of knocking it off.......in the third world.....and then charges appreciably more than the original.......[huh]

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Alright... I give up!!!! Tomasso... who is that "heel" in your avatar? Doesn't remind me of any east coast wrassler I can remember!

Worf

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
The Ralph Lauren website had a great sale in late November. I ordered the Shearwater deck jacket which is a replica of the early 1940s U.S. Navy blue deck jacket. It is very nice quality fine corduroy jungle cloth. It is very accurate with the exception of the one toggle latch near the neck area, so it is a hybrid of the zip up and toggle deck jackets. I took a few days to make the decision to purchase so by the time I did they were out of my size medium. I took a chance and ordered large since they have a good return policy. Ralph Lauren jackets fit very tapered so the large is a perfect fit. They don't currently offer it. This Japanese link has images of it, but don't completely do it justice. http://currentgeneral.shop-pro.jp/?pid=68246124 http://25.media.tumblr.com/6ff5c3f184d6baa29ed98f2e5e24afb7/tumblr_mwjs4kLGTZ1scssh5o1_1280.jpg
_________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo