Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyway to repair this damage?

foxtrot1213

New in Town
Is there anyway to repair this damage? It seems like the "wool skin" has been peeled off or something. Can't remember how did it happen. Must be grease or something from fingers after pizza time.

iuWjb2b.jpg

Though I'm afraid it might be permanent, and there's probably noway to recover it except using some boot polish on it but decided to ask it anyway.

Hat is from Stetson, bought it for 87€ ($112) back in 2010. Don't know the model.
I am also looking for a replacement but there's very less selection with high prices and appalling quality in Finland. The other option is to get it from ebay.de. I'll put it on tomorrow to show how this hat looks like on a human face. Now I'm in bathrobe so might not be a good combo :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Gently try 220 grit sandpaper. Don't forget to stay in that counterclockwise flow. Carefully.

I wear my hats with my bathrobe often. How else could I grab the newspaper from the front steps on Sunday mornings? It's a great combo.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
"Though I'm afraid it might be permanent, and there's probably noway to recover it except using some boot polish on it but decided to ask it anyway."
Please don't foxtrot!! Before you go to sandpaper or boot polish try first using some denatured alcohol on the spot. If that doesn't work, try some hydrogen peroxide on it ( good for food stains). If that doesn't work try some white gas ( coleman stove fluid) . Only then go to the more extreme measures. It is SO easy do do more damage than you expect so start easy, then work up to extreme.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It would help to know what caused the stain ........... if it's fat or grease then washing up liquid will at least reduce the mark so it will be less noticeable, sanding first will loosen up the surface so the detergent can get to work. You could also take it to a dry cleaners & see what they have to say.
I am a little perplexed about the boot polish idea though, can't see how that would improve things.:confused:

Pa Fig

New in Town
It is matted - steam and a felt sponge. Work the hat over steam - open the crown - steam - work the sponge over the mat against a hard surface (blocks work well) - do this over and over until the steam has broken the mat, and the sponge helps flick it away.

As far as how much steam - well it takes years to find a felts right amount without over burdening - but it should of course be incrementally throughout the day so the felt can rest in between - don't plan to do it in one sitting. A stain like that I could see taking 4-5 days to remove without chemicals or covering up with Maybelline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou