Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appaloosa (2008)

vintage68

Practically Family
The Captain said:
Kudos to costumer David C Robinson for the "authentic" look. I can't wait for APPALOOSA to open on the third of October; It's always a long time between western films - too long!

I agree. There's a perception in Hollywood that westerns don't make money, but they all make modest profits, just not huge profits, and are well received by the public.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
APPALOOSA or BUST

Captain,

I plan to go Oct. 3rd irregardless
of reviews. I LIKE westerns!

Vintage68,

An example Costner's film "Open Range"
DID make money per world wide release.
Costner spent 22 mil for the film. He has
an idea for another western, but costs
would be 50 mil+ which IS a problem for him.

Solid Citizen ;)

vintage68

Practically Family
Solid Citizen said:
Vintage68,

An example Costner's film "Open Range"
DID make money per world wide release.
Costner spent 22 mil for the film. He has
an idea for another western, but costs
would be 50 mil+ which IS a problem for him.

Solid Citizen ;)

From what I've read, Costner's next western, titled "A Little War of Our Own", is already in pre-production, and set in the 1930's. Hollywood accounting is a mysterious thing, but obviously they wouldn't make westerns if they didn't return a profit. It is the movie business...

vintage68

Practically Family
Just got home from watching the first showing of Appaloosa in my town.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Excellent film. As one reviewer wrote, this is a film made for grown-ups. Ed Harris, who directed and also starred, was smart enough to leave Robert Parker's work the way it is. Almost the entire film is straight out of the book, scene for scene and word for word. Parker's work shines through in every moment. If you like the book you'll love the film.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I'm looking forward to this as well although it may be a few weeks before I can get out to see it

Solid Citizen said:
Of all the actor stills I've seen for Appalloosa
Mortensen really looks authentic costume/body type/period facial hair.

I have liked Mortensen in everything I have seen him in. He is especially good in westerns. He has a true love of horses and makes a great cowboy. If you haven't seen Hidalgo yet you really should.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Appalloosa MORTENSEN

The STORY:

Very interesting with lots of character interaction.

The LOOK:

Ed Harris made the most of his 22 Mil budget in set
decor & costumes. REALLY nice & great cinematography.

Viggo MORTENSEN:

Oh my gosh with his rail thin period build, haircut
facial hair, clothing he is something to behold. But
the way he walks, handles weapons & horses, his
whole presentation is on a differrent authenticity level

The OUTCOME:

See the movie & I WILL buy the DVD on this one! A keeper!

Solid Citizen ;)

vintage68

Practically Family
I went to see it again today and it holds up to repeated viewings. I'll probably see it one more time before it leaves theaters.

You're right, this is one to own on dvd when it comes out.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
MORE Appaloosa

vintage68,

Glad you liked it, assume you saw "3:10 to Yuma" (remake)
& Costner's "Open Range"? IMO way better than Yuma & equal
or slightly better than Range?

The HATS:

Mortensen's the BEST, Ed Harris's was good, BUT Jeremy Irons
was so-so reminded me of Russell Crowes in Yuma?

Solid Citizen ;)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doh! said:
I just finished watching the first season of Deadwood so I'm primed for some more horse opera.

:eek:fftopic:

Mrs. Blaine & I are on our fourth time through Deadwood & see something new each time. A very dense narrative, very rewarding as a viewer.

vintage68

Practically Family
Solid Citizen said:
vintage68,

Glad you liked it, assume you saw "3:10 to Yuma" (remake)
& Costner's "Open Range"? IMO way better than Yuma & equal
or slightly better than Range?

The HATS:

Mortensen's the BEST, Ed Harris's was good, BUT Jeremy Irons
was so-so reminded me of Russell Crowes in Yuma?

Solid Citizen ;)

Yep, saw both, own both. I try to support westerns as much as I can.

Appaloosa was much better in writing and attention to detail than either, though Range was very good.

You're right, Mortensen's hat was the best, while Iron's was just plain bad. It reminded me of a hat you'd pick up at the Tombstone gift shop. What were they thinking?

Have you read the book?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
Men will get this one were I think some women won't, just because the dialog is very abrupt like most men's conversations.
Should be qualified: modern men's conversations in the movies. You'd be surprised how talky some early westerns were, at least till the shooting started.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Nicely done...

I caught Appaloosa on Sunday afternoon. It was extremely well done.

Mr. Harris and his cast have done an excellent job of translating the story to the big screen.

I've read all but a few of Robert B. Parkers works and I found the feel of the dialog to be the same as if read from the pages.

Sets, costume, guns and gunleather were all very nicely done.

I will see it again to catch all that I missed the first time and look forward to the dvd.

Regards.

C79

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Should be qualified: modern men's conversations in the movies. You'd be surprised how talky some early westerns were, at least till the shooting started.

Actuall I wasn't refering to men's movie dialogue, but real every day dialogue between men who have known eachother for a very long time. Conversations are very short & clipped and they can finish a sentence or a thought without saying so. Qualified.;)

Now, I got to see it this weekend and loved it. Other than one character change and some non essential filler left out, it was a dead ringer for the book. Ed Harris did justice to this story. I only hope that they get the chance to do the next two stories, it would be well worth the effort. Worth the admission price too.

Cheers!

Dan

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I'm going on Saturday!!

Well though I've taken a couple years off from WW reenacting, I have always loved the westerns!!!

The first movie I remember ever watching with my grandfather (God rest his soul!) was John Wayne, dean Martin and Ricky Nelson in Rio Bravo.

And since I finally have a WW event next weekend, I better go see Appaloosa before I get strung up for being the only holdout!!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I rented this one tonight. I enjoyed it though it dragged a bit in the middle.
Viggo Mortenson was the highlight of the film I thought.
He carries an 8-guage shotgun that steals the show!
I'd watch it again but its not one I'd buy.

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
after being called corey appaloosa at work the other day and not having a clue what that meant when i found out it was a flick i headed straight to the dollar movies...i was very impressed with the cast. it was quite good but i was expecting more action then there was not that it took away from the movie i just wanted to see all those big wig actors have a serious showdown. "that was fast"..."everybody knew how to shoot"

ukali1066

Practically Family
Great Western, I own it on DVD.....Viggo is an actor I admire for his dedication to his craft.....he WAS totally 19th Century in this film....he certainly did his research..

The dialogue is a joy.....

It's on my list of Favourite Westerns

Apaploosa
Open Range
Broken trail
The outlaw Josey Wales
The good the bad and the ugly
A fistful of dollars
For a few dollars more
Lonesome Dove
The Unforgiven
Tombstone