Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dang. Can't pre-order.

apple-iphone-21.jpg

matei

One Too Many
No pre-order isn't too bad... we've got to wait until Q4 to get them here in Europe! :(

Salv

One Too Many
Looks like being the greatest gadget ever. From Apple's iPhone page:

iPhone combines three products — a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching — into one small and lightweight handheld device.

iPhone also introduces an entirely new user interface based on a large multi-touch display and pioneering new software, letting you control everything with just your fingers. So it ushers in an era of software power and sophistication never before seen in a mobile device, completely redefining what you can do on a mobile phone.

Salv

One Too Many
From the yahoo news report:

With a few finger taps, Jobs demonstrated how to pull up a Google Maps site and find the closest Starbucks to the Moscone Center. He then prank-called the cafe and ordered 4,000 lattes to go before quickly hanging up.

$499 for a 4GB, $599 for 8GB.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So...

You plan on attending the Queen Mary event in 2007.
On the flight, you can watch Casablanca, call ahead for your ride, keep up with Fedora Lounge posts, order the newly published book about your favorite Golden Era star, email your spouse back home about the new purchase, listen to the Andrews Sisters, review photos from the QM '06 and snap a pic of the flight attendant.

All on the same device, pretty much all at the same time.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
We were just talking about this. My boss of course wants one. :eusa_doh:

Apparently Apple stock has gone up 8.6% (or something like that!?) since they announced this.

My cell phone is practically an antique, but you know what? It works just fine.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been reading about this, being a huge fan of Apple. It's gonna be hard, but I'm gonna wait for at least the second generation to come out. Apple is notorious for introducing cool things, then within months upgrading them and also dropping the price. They did this with the iPods and their iBooks.
I just got a new cell and a new iPod (80gb, it's great) so I think I should wait for another purchase from them. Will be difficult though, this thing looks soooo cooool.

S

Samsa

I saw an article on this today, and it was the first time I had heard about Apple going into the cell phone business. I would be eager to buy one, but don't think I will be able to scrape together the $500 necessary to buy one.

GOK

One Too Many
After reading the live transcript of Steve Jobs' keynote speech this afternoon (it was afternoon for me anyway!), and seeing all of the USPs for this new 'phone, all I can say is...

**squeeee**

lol lol lol

I definitely want one and of course, by the time it gets over to good ol' Blighty, it's altogether possible that the firmware will have been updated. There is a definite advantage to not being first in the running! :D

As for the price point - that's half what my current one cost (£400)...although to be fair, things across the pond do tend to be more sanely priced than here. I expect it to be in the same region as the one I have at the moment.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
With the google maps thing he demonstrated that he could pinpoint where he was... I wonder if that can be used like satnav? Cool, never getting lost again!

The one thing that worries me is battery life, he didn't mention standby time. My V3i stays charged for days even a week at times... battery life on phones has got so good you almost can forget about them, iPods are getting much better too. Not so on things like a PSP that battery life on that is abysmal.

Needless to say I WANT one, but I'd really want it to do most of it's stuff via wifi to a local basestation rather than paying for the airtime like a normal mobile phone. I wonder also if it could be made to VoIP?

Rosie

One Too Many
That is too cool. Since I just got a new razr, I'll wait a bit for all the bugs to be kinked out, the price to drop and of course being a New Yorker, I'll wait 'til no one wants to kill me for it anymore. :(

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
That is too cool. Since I just got a new razr, I'll wait a bit for all the bugs to be kinked out, the price to drop and of course being a New Yorker, I'll wait 'til no one wants to kill me for it anymore. :(

Exactly - and no mention on the service contract pricing. You can bet Cingular's going to get a pretty penny for that...we'll have to wait until closer to June for that bombshell to be dropped. And RE: emailing and calling from the air - so far, no cell phones operate at cruising altitudes. Great scenario, though.

matei

One Too Many
I wonder if it will be offered in the Apple store as well, as an unlocked phone?

If so... I could always take a weekend break to NY and pick one up prior to it's release here!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

scotrace said:
You plan on attending the Queen Mary event in 2007.
On the flight, you can watch Casablanca, call ahead for your ride, keep up with Fedora Lounge posts, order the newly published book about your favorite Golden Era star, email your spouse back home about the new purchase, listen to the Andrews Sisters, review photos from the QM '06 and snap a pic of the flight attendant.

All on the same device, pretty much all at the same time.

Short of watching the video, I have been doing all that for over two years on my PDA. In fact, I am typing this post from it right now.

This is just the next step. I am certain that Nokia, Samsung, HP, LG, Motorola and a dozen more companies are developing similar devices.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, not to be combative, but there isn't anything on the market that "does all that." This is the very first of its kind. An entirely new invention.

Better watch that product intro vid. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters