Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate photographer wear?

CombatCam

New in Town
Hi, everyone.

I'm going to the WW2 event at Lyon's Farm in Illinois this June, and I'm going to attend as a photographer. They are having four different battles during that weekend, and I want to try and get pictures from both sides (for example, one battle will feature the Japanese and the US Marines...being that it's the only battle with either of these units, I want to go back and forth from one side to the other and get pictures of both).

What would you all suggest I wear (either civilian or military) that will be neutral enough to allow me to float between the battle lines without being mistaken for the other side, yet still be "period" enough to fit in with the time period? I know if I were with one side or the other I'd probably wear their uniform, but that won't work with what I want to do.

The battles are Japanese VS Marines, BEF and French Army vs Germans in 1940, British and Americans vs Germans in 1944, and Germans vs Russians in 1945 (though I'll probably have to leave before that battle, since I've got to drive 8 hours back home that night...)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
How about this?

2198087468_29b9a00b13.jpg

This is obviously the most fashionable option.

But seriously, if you're wanting to photograph both sides, I'd say go with civilian attire. Maybe with a couple of pieces of random field gear, which would have been obtained "on the job". I really like the look of photographer's vests. Here is a link to one I found in Google, I'm sure there are plenty to choose from all over the web. Other than that, I'd suggest "adventure gear" (See the giant thread in Attire & Accouterments). Some comfortable khakis or chinos, a cotton shirt (whatever is weather appropriate), and probably some boots.

Practically speaking, you'd be wearing comfortable clothing to move around in, maybe a field bag for equipment, and definitely some sort of helmet.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, first, I'm jealous of an event that has a USMC vs. Japanese battle. PTO is unheard of 'round these parts. lol

I know you mentioned that you didn't really want to have to "choose sides" so you'd be able to float around taking photographs, but I have to say that I think a civilian War Correspondent attached to the US Army would be your best (and most historically accurate) bet. If you try to do civilian clothing, my feeling is that you'll have a hard time fitting in with all the different scenarios. And most civilians of the period would have run the other direction from the battles, not tried to get in and photograph them. While photographing the "enemy" sides you will just need to entrench yourself and not be right alongside them - the way a real WarCo would have done in those days!

There were quite a few accredited civilian War Correspondents during WWII - most of the major newspapers and magazines had them stationed abroad. They all had issued military garments but you'd just need the basic bare bones stuff - wool pants & shirt, or perhaps HBT shirt & pants, of course boots, and maybe a musette bag or gas mask bag for carrying your cameras and stuff. Of course you could probably also mix in period civilian clothing pieces. Also you might want to contact some of the reenactment units if you know anyone else who is going and is involved - some larger events require you to be a part of a recognized unit in order to participate at all. (I'm not sure about this event, I'm in Texas. Just throwing the info out there!)

Here are a couple of interesting links:
http://www.abc.net.au/aroundtheworld/content/s1059668.htm

http://newarkmemories.com/memories/858.php

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure anyone in civilian attire in the middle of a WW II battlefield, who wasn't an obvious refugee, or person cowering in their basement, would immediately be shot or at least arrested as a spy. You should try to get the appropriate uniform. Post some of you pix! What kind of camera will you be using? Will you be using authentic vintage film?

CombatCam

New in Town
Thanks for your help, everyone. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

As far as equipment, my main camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I've got a standard, zoom, and 50mm lens for it, and I use Photoshop CS3 to "age" the pictures. I also have an early '50s Ricoh rangefinder that I'll be using, and I've got a couple of old movie cameras I'd like to get film for and use (one is Super-8, and the other is Standard 8mm). I have high hopes that it'll turn out well.

I have dark hair and thicker eyebrows, so I've thought of doing a Robert Capa impression, and while that might not fit in so well during the PTO battle, it'd be fine for the Dunkirk and Normandy battles.

A_Lad_Insane

New in Town
Are you my mummy?.. (sorry, couldn't resist... if you get the reference, kudos to you ) thats a great pic..

Mr_Misanthropy said:

But seriously, if you're wanting to photograph both sides, I'd say go with civilian attire. Maybe with a couple of pieces of random field gear, which would have been obtained "on the job". I really like the look of photographer's vests. Here is a link to one I found in Google, I'm sure there are plenty to choose from all over the web. Other than that, I'd suggest "adventure gear" (See the giant thread in Attire & Accouterments). Some comfortable khakis or chinos, a cotton shirt (whatever is weather appropriate), and probably some boots.

Practically speaking, you'd be wearing comfortable clothing to move around in, maybe a field bag for equipment, and definitely some sort of helmet.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Correspondents embedded w/ th troops in WWII were usually issued that army's uniform. Plus they had ID. So if they got separated from the troops who knew them, they wouldnt be shot as spies. Often they wore customized gear, like custom made boots.
You'll see some reenactors wearing brassards that say PHOTOGRAPHER or the inititals WP for war photog, or wc for war correspondent. But really, those werent worn in combat.
Correspondents covering the Allies had dress uniforms as well.
Dont carry a weapon unless youre doing Axis.

Carrying a proper period camera is 90% of the look.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
save it for fishing

Mr_Misanthropy said:

Actually, Id have to say that a photo vest is dead wrong for WWII era photogs. Ive never seen a picture of a combat photog or press photog wearing a vest or carrying that much gear as to require a vest.

Dont forget your helmet. Most reenactments wont allow you into a battle unless you have a helmet.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Drop me a PM

Hey CC!

Drop me a PM. I'll also be at Lyon's in June, and though I also portray American GI, I'll be serving the Motherland (Russian Infantry) with the 95th Rifles.

Actually if you have a good telephoto lense you can usually get some great shots. I'm hoping to post my pics from Lowell Indiana from a couple weeks back, so you can see what folks were wearing. However my missus and I shot about 200+ pics and need to do some editing!!

But regardless, you're more than welcome!!

Take care

BTW: I might actually volunteer to go Japanese if it's needed!!!

Cobden

Practically Family
Perhaps a pair of fairly generic wool military trousers and boots, and change the jacket/tunic and headgear as appropriate. As long as you're not too close to the crowd lines it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Here is the deal, early on, the conflicts of WWII prior to the US involment you would see civilian news photographers taking pictures of the happenings. There is a film with Clark Gable (I Think) where they are in China during the Japanese invasion taking newsreels.

Once the US gets in the fight all US news from the front is under the US Army if I recall correctly. It was important for the Army to control the info coming from the battlefield. So, at that point the news guy wear US uniforms. <If you do the uniform thing, will the guys portraying the Japanese be OK with you there?>

Since that time the modern conflicts have had civilains in semi-civilian garb about. I recall reading that they would usually hire Land Rovers or Land Cruisers and spray paint the world PRESS on all sides and top in 2-3 foot letters.

If you do civilain you might get a late 30's early 40's suit and fedora, make a large press button for your lapel and a card board PRESS pass for your hat.

You could also dress in Adventurer style. ( Don't forget Dan Rather in his bush jacket ready to reveal US plans to the VC.;) )

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Robert Capa on Captured Japanese tank in China, 1938

2101633909_0f0da980e2.jpg

Italy. Naples. 1943. War correspondents Robert CAPA (left) and George RODGER (right).
2123624302_b3f2bb91cc.jpg

Note Capa wears the airborne uniform, having jumped into Sicily with paratroopers & gone on to Italy with them.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
KIEV

an economical alternative to an actual WWII camera.
The Russians captured the Contax factory & continued to make WWII style cameras well into the 80s & 90s.

Convenient as it is 35mm & was often sported by LIFE photographers of the time. Note the pix of Capa in this thread.
Kiev.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
TM said:
For two different war correspondent looks rent "The Story of G.I. Joe"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038120/

Burgess Meredith plays Ernie Pyle, in the field, so that might be a good inspiration.

And Lucien Hubbard plays himself as a reporter for Readers Digest in a dress uniform.

Or you could just look for a pic of the real Ernie Pyle, after all reeneactments are supposed to be historical, not theatrical.
72ErniePyleNormandy-2table.jpg

ernie4.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Check out the book "Women Who Wrote the War." It is about female civilian WarCos during WWII, but also has a lot of good pictures and information on civilian male correspondents. Even as a civilian you would have been issued basic military gear & clothing.

(FYI the WAC pictured above is part of the military, not a civilian correspondent. There were actual military photographers as part of the Signal Corps, but I assume that isn't what you are wanting to portray.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs