Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriateness of Khaki

Edward said:
Someone who should comment on here is Diamondback - he seems to live in khaki trews / shirt/ A2, and from what few photos he has posted to the FL, he doesn't come out looking like he's playing "dress up soldier", which is, I think, what you're worried about? Sixty odd years ago it might have looked like you were imitating military, but not nowadays, IMO.
Shucks, Edward, thanks for the vote of confidence.

In my case, part of what helps me with not looking like a wannabe is I've been this way for several years now--the first six months, I did have to deal with some of that, mainly from folks who didn't get the fact that styling oneself after a given individual doesn't mean you have delusions of being them. The biggest things are to stand up straight, don't try to act like something you're not unless you're reenacting at that moment, and just be yourself--blue or green colors don't change how you act, why should khaki be any different?

OTOH, none of my posted pics have been at a convention or reenactment or any Halloween parties where I've decided to really "turn it on", although my av is a shot from one such occasion. (Look close and you'll see five stars on that collar, which otherwise stay in an eyeglass case in my pocket.)

I wouldn't wear it for a "Dressy" situation, but for Business Casual and anything below you should be fine. But that's just my pair of copper-coated zinc slugs (can't even really call 'em "pennies" anymore)...
----------------
Now playing: James Hannigan, Frank Klepacki & Timothy Michael Wynn - RA3 Theme - Soviet March
via FoxyTunes

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love khaki but admit to rather loving it more matched against another colour (nothing necessarily bright, even loden or dove or slate works) because I am nervous about matching or not-matching different shades of khaki together in the same outfit. I like one khaki component whether it's pants or jacket though.

Not as huge for khaki shirts - that's where I think olive drab pulls way, way ahead, but this is admittedly because I am, in my brother's words, A Huge Girl, and the green brings out my eyes. lol

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I like OD shirts, but unfortunately, pattern 82 CDN army gear is all solid OD. That's why I wear khaki, because it's so long ago part of the army look that nobody makes the connection. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether you can legitimately wear khaki slacks, a khaki shirt and boots (brown, not black).

What items would you add to such an ensemble for a classic outdoors look? I can't exactly wear a Webley out in the field, much as I would like to.

Thomas

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me the color that goes best with with khaki is black

Khaki and khaki looks like k ....i mean ....it doesnt look so good imo :( [huh]

Maguire

Practically Family
Edward said:
Oh, yes. Along with "where's your gun?", "the tiger went that way", etc.

Hey that one's pretty clever. Most of the time the comments are dumb HEY LOOK ITS INDIANA JONES DERRP or the inspector gadget theme but sometimes you get a clever one, give credit where its due. I was wearing a guayabera and a panama over the summer and i got a "John Hammond" comment. I actually was thinking of john hammond when i decided to go for white pants and a white guayabera, and a hat but you know, you don't expect people to remember the name and style of a secondary character in a 1993 film.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
nor red, nor green, nor blue nor funny check :D
BellyTank said:
OK- maybe we need to define KHAKI.
It's a colour name which has been diluted and re-invented over the last
60 years.

It is not beige, bone, grey, ivory, tan, brown, or taupe.

Any other colours it is not..?

B
T

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Not as huge for khaki shirts - that's where I think olive drab pulls way, way ahead

Oh. I have just been informed by Wiki that khaki is not what I thought it was lol it mentions that in France they call olive drab "khaki". Well, in Spain we also do that :eek: (kaki, in fact anything from greenish beige to quite dark olive) What you call khaki I would call... I don't know, sand? or camel, or beige. Now I am gonna get stoned lol
And I was wondering why all the safari references :eek:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
True- what France and Spain call Kaki, is not what is Khaki in the UK,
or in British military and historical terms. Although "kaki" is used interchangably on eBay, for instance, describing both the OD and the Khaki.
What most folks think of as Khaki is not proper Khaki but a modern, diluted
Chino trouser colour, which is sandy. British Khaki- that which stemmed from India, around 150 years ago and stayed almost to the present day,
is a much deeper colour, with a greenish hue, not the pale sandy colour, which seems to be described as Khaki in America and now anywhere where "Khakis" are sold.

B
T

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Medvssa said:
Oh. I have just been informed by Wiki that khaki is not what I thought it was lol it mentions that in France they call olive drab "khaki". Well, in Spain we also do that :eek: (kaki, in fact anything from greenish beige to quite dark olive) What you call khaki I would call... I don't know, sand? or camel, or beige. Now I am gonna get stoned lol
And I was wondering why all the safari references :eek:

I think I like this interpretation better, especially for when I am instructed to paint walls "neutral tones, like toast or khaki." lol

Canadian said:
What items would you add to such an ensemble for a classic outdoors look? I can't exactly wear a Webley out in the field, much as I would like to.
high boots

A good belt in a tone that flatters the boots is a must. And you need a hat.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Canadian said:

Thomas

well first a nice belt:
Filson 1 1/4 inch double belt #205
pFILSON1-2231488p275w.jpg

I am then partial to a leather belt case for a note book and a map:
Gfeller geologist case
Geologist-Field-Case-Gfeller.gif

a belt knife, or a pocket knife:
Puukko
CKLapplandSammiPuukkoROA.jpg

Opinel
pocket.jpg

and to keep you from getting lost:
Marbles pin on compass
MR222.jpg

Alexi

One of the Regulars
just re-read you post. To look out-doorsey but not to be in the wild woolness
keep the belt, opinel and the compass
The idea of a flat cap or irish walking cap is good it will help keep down the jones coments, but I want to see these making a comeback
Glengarry cap
g-pic45e8a5abac1aa.jpg

I don't think the leather belt pouch is very uhhh urbane, so a place to keep your stuff:
Brady field bag
000001_l.jpg

Stuff to keep in you bag:
Rhodia note book
RhodiaNotepads_l.jpg

some manly reading
400000000000000035761_s4.jpg

and something to keep the night lively
r9417_lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members