Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are 71/2 Size vitage Hats Harder to Find?

SteveS

New in Town
Hello everyone,

Question for the experienced fedora shoppersand fellow hat size 71/2ers. I have a hard time finding vintage fedoras in size 71/2. I was recently given a Cavanagh as a gift that was a 71/4. I had to have a hatter stretch it out for me. Also, as I have hit the anitque stores in my area over the past 4 months or so I have yet to come across a 71/2 and I have seen quit a few fedoras. Just curios if anyone else has either had this problem or knows if this size is a bit more scarce than others.

Thanks!

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Yes

As a fellow 7 1/2'er and a frequent antique/thrift store shopper, I can assure you the are VERY hard to find. I have lucked out a total of twice, but that is what keeps me coming back again & again.

Pete

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I can say, honestly, they are not very common. One's tastes and spare time have a lot to do with it. If you have loads of time to search, or you happen to like the Stetson Open Road, or stingy brims, your luck will be slightly better.

There are those who will insist, "they are there if you look." Judge by your own experience, I say. There's a reason people pile on high to get them.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Short Answer...YES!

And when you find one, especially on E-bay, it will be much more expensive than a comparable hat in the smaller sizes. I'm a 7 1/2 LO, although I have a couple of older Open Roads in 7 1/2 that fit fine. I have yet to win an auction hat. I found one of my ORs by placing a wanted ad in the local free classified newspaper. Bought the second by placing a similar ad in the Lounge classified. Both were less expensive than ORs on Ebay. Yep, patience and persistence.

carldelo

One Too Many
Few and far between

NB-13 is on the mark. I found a vintage unworn size 7-3/4 Cavanagh back in 1976. I'm still waiting for lightning to strike a second time - luckily I stopped holding my breath a while ago....

edit - oops - I quoted GWD, not NB-13, but he's right too....

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
I have six 7 1/2 hats left to sell

I've been gone for a few days, but I have been auctioning a large collection of unworn, vintage hats in the Merchants section of the Lounge, and I have quite a few happy customers. I count 6 unsold 7 1/2 hats and several more 7 3/8 hats.

Here is a link to the unsold hats: http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/johnnyphi/?action=tags&current=Unsold

I plan to restart the auctions this weekend, and I hope you'll join the fun.

As others have mentioned, these hats are rare, so you won't find my hats for "bargain" prices, but the opening prices are very fair, and the quality of each hat is guaranteed.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
I've been gone for a few days, but I have been auctioning a large collection of unworn, vintage hats in the Merchants section of the Lounge, and I have quite a few happy customers. I count 6 unsold 7 1/2 hats and several more 7 3/8 hats.

Here is a link to the unsold hats: http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/johnnyphi/?action=tags&current=Unsold

I plan to restart the auctions this weekend, and I hope you'll join the fun.

As others have mentioned, these hats are rare, so you won't find my hats for "bargain" prices, but the opening prices are very fair, and the quality of each hat is guaranteed.

OOOOhhhh, Is it the weekend yet? :eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I've had the pleasure of nabbing several of Johnny's hats. They are excellent, and probably the best opportunity for vintage 7 1/2's to come along in all my years here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran