Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any Borsalino experts here? Can you recommend a site?

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Hi All, so glad I found this site! I have acquired 2 vintage Borsalinos (Alessandra, made in Genova) and (Antica Casa, Napoli) and one really bitchin' box, they were both in the one box. I am thinking 40s, maybe early 50s on these, but I was wondering if anybody could refer me to a site that might be able to help in regards to dating, construction, etc. I am going to spend the next hour or so searching the net for information, but I will come and check back here later today and post pics if anybody is interested in seeing them. Thanks in advance! Bobbi

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Well I have so enjoyed browsing the site and actually went back to my shop so that I could bring the hats home and check under the bands to see if any of those serial numbers coincided with the dates they were made...from the "dating" link provided. I got one winner (maybe) and then one that just doesnt make sense. I am now going to try and upload a few pics without reading the rules on how to do that...so, we will see! If you see a bunch of pizza boxes, you know I failed! Bobbi

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If you read the dating thread, you'll see that the serial number dating guide is only for Borsalinos from the past 30 years or so.
To post pictures, you have to host your pics on an external site, like photobucket, and link with

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
ok, so the gray one, the alessandria, has a serial number of 31578
the darker one, the antica casa Maior, has a serial number of 8771

Does anybody feel like venturing a guess on eras?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
For future reference, there are existing "ask a question, get an answer" and "dating your vintage hat" threads stickied at the top of the forum.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Forgot to mention, there are a multitude of pinch and crown bashed you can do.

When I do mine, I spray the area I am going to pinch/bash with water, so the felt is movabale, then I pinch it to my liking, so when it dries it holds.

Here is my current look:

00312.jpg

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Forgot to mention, there are a multitude of pinch and crown bashed you can do.

When I do mine, I spray the area I am going to pinch/bash with water, so the felt is movabale, then I pinch it to my liking, so when it dries it holds.

Here is my current look:

00312.jpg

Love the look! The crown was so high and one of them has a rather firm brim that I thought it was supposed to be kinda HowdyDoody tall looking. Shows what I know. Now the gray one would definately look better kinda shaped and sassy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred