Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoes 50s or 60s?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Struggling between the two eras. I believe they are 50s, the shape of the shoe and the logos point me in this direction, but the toe keeps throwing me a bit. The label says 'Flexsole Fetherwait.' Either way, they are mine now, but if they don't look right, be on the lookout for them in a classifieds section near you.... (in a US 9.5D)

shoesa.jpg

shoes6.jpg

shoes3y.jpg

shoes4hp.jpg

shoes5k.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I'd say 50's as well, or very early 60's at the latest.
Very nice shoes!

I was hoping either you or Matt would respond to this one, as you guys know your stuff. They were cheap too, so if they don't work out, no love lost.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I think 50s = from the heel type and the construction. The 60s did have that lacing with 3-4 eyelets but these have a rockabilly flavour that is more late 50s. I often wonder about dating this style of shoe. A similar shaped pair I had of Edwin Clapps were defintely 60s but with these ...I still think 50s FWIW.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
cookie said:
I think 50s = from the heel type and the construction. The 60s did have that lacing with 3-4 eyelets but these have a rockabilly flavour that is more late 50s. I often wonder about dating this style of shoe. A similar shaped pair I had of Edwin Clapps were defintely 60s but with these ...I still think 50s FWIW.

Yeah there is something about the shape, especially towards the back of the shoe that makes me go ' yeah, definitely 50s.' Thanks!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
On Reflection

The mild spade/flanged soles give me more indication these would be early 50s at the latest. The true giveaway would be the cursive font on the inside heel area writing. Maybe somne expert hereabouts could identify it.
shoes4hp.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
cookie said:
The mild spade/flanged soles give me more indication these would be early 50s at the latest. The true giveaway would be the cursive font on the inside heel area writing. Maybe somne expert hereabouts could identify it.

Quite true, the soles to have a bit of a spade shape to them, mainly on the inside. I'm thinking of writing to Nunn Bush about them. I did it with a pair of Jantzen swim trunks, and Jantzen wrote back in a day, saying the pattern name, the year (1946 or 47, can't remember), and the fact that it came in two colorways. Very exciting!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I agree with matfink, flat-top, and cookie, those definitely look like there from the 1950's to me. That's a really interesting point about the subtle hint of a spade sole hinting at the early fifties, it makes a lot of sense . . . good score repeatclicks!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
I agree with matfink, flat-top, and cookie, those definitely look like there from the 1950's to me. That's a really interesting point about the subtle hint of a spade sole hinting at the early fifties, it makes a lot of sense . . . good score repeatclicks!

Thanks! Can't wait to get at them with some shoe trees and polish!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Very cool kicks, 'clicks.

The leather quality of the uppers certainly rates up there with '40s and '50s shoes I own. If the heel were stacked leather I would say definitely '50s. Looks like it may be a plastic base though, which may point more to the mid-'60s, I would think.

Either way, I like 'em!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore