Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ARE THESE WW2 GERMAN??

nightandthecity

Practically Family
HI CHAPS

been away from the lounge for a while, hunting down goodies and a-listing on ebay (check ZIPPGUNN and JIVINGPLUM and also your wallets...) This is by way of a flying visit to tap your collective expertise!

I recently bought a load of vintage evening dress accessories - white silk scarfs and white court gloves. Among them was the following pair of rather unusual gloves. They are pale cream/ivory and unlined and as such useable as dress gloves, but they are much longer than the norm and also - tellingly - much thicker and heavier. Definately not the usual kidskin or doeskin. They also appear to be dated (?) 10.2.40 inside. All my instincts tell me these are WW2 German or at least continental European military gloves. The only real clue to go on apart from the date stamp are the buttons which are metal and marked WLW.

I'd rate my knowledge of WW2 RAF and AAF kit as pretty damn good. But my knowledge of GERMAN gear is almost non-existant. But I'm hoping some of you guys are better informed than me.......

DSCN4785.jpg

DSCN4783.jpg

Do you have an image of the date? Is it handwritten or printed? If handwritten, different parts of the world have different ways of rendering the numbers. Pity there's no 7 in the date - one of the more obvious differences across europe is in the rendering of the number 7.

Hopefully someone knows about the buttons ...

bk

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Thanks Baron, I should have photoed the dates...I'll try and post one later. But for the moment: the date (if that's what it is) is a small and simple ink stamp. There is a W and below that 10.2.40. I'm sure it's not British - its about the size of a classic British "Librarian" stamp but different graphics/format/appearance.

You get a feel for these things after a while....little subtleties of design you can't always pin down...like those buttons, they just don't look British (or American) to me.

Wonder if the W could be Wehrmacht?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24