Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you feeling the economic crunch?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gee Carlisle, thanks.

I never thought of that. In fact, I never thought of it so much that I got a BFA in children's book illustration. Never crossed my mind to actually try and *make* that a career. Ill go out and do that right now...genius!

I think the air needs to be cleared to all ponying up advice. When people site a hardship, that does not warrant any type of response on how to 'fix' said problem. I consider myself a pretty smart person, and I am not bragging. Simply because I, and many others have found ourselves in a hard way and describe it here in the thread, does not mean that we are soliciting suggestions on how to make our situations better from anyone here. Perhaps the most apt reply would be to simply listen and maybe commiserate, 'cause trust me, you all are not saying anything new. At all.

LD

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Gee Carlisle, thanks.

I never thought of that. In fact, I never thought of it so much that I got a BFA in children's book illustration. Never crossed my mind to actually try and *make* that a career. Ill go out and do that right now...genius!
LD

Sorry you are going through a hard time. One lesson may be new. I actually may have been in a position to help you.

Needless to say, your post has a chilling effect on anything positive I would have been willing to do. Not that you were asking of course.

You are not the first and won't be the last to suffer in this economy. But to suffer alone truly sucks. You got your wish I am gone. shakeshead

Lady Day said:
Go away.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
One lesson may be new. I actually may have been in a position to help you.

Needless to say, your post has a chilling effect on anything positive I would have been willing to do. Not that you were asking of course.

lol
What can a person say to this? That put a smile on my face, so thank you.

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Sorry you are going through a hard time. One lesson may be new. I actually may have been in a position to help you.

You are not the first and won't be the last to suffer in this economy. But to suffer alone truly sucks. You got your wish I am gone. shakeshead

I'm right behind you.

analiebe

A-List Customer
i genuinely feel for every individual on this thread who is suffering financial hardship, job loss, an unsecure housing situation and all the other stresses involved with these difficult global financial times but i can't help but make the point that for most people in most countries (outside of the very few first world countries we are all living in) life is, and has been, in constant economic crisis...as well as medical, social, food, political, water & basic humanitarian rights crises... for decades

as much as all our individual situations can be difficult, challenging and confronting i think sometimes it is wise to try and take a step back and get a wider perspective...

this is one example... brazil - and in 2004... imagine the statistics now

Brazil.jpg

and yes... you read it correctly - thats LESS than $10 a MONTH!

Foofoogal

Banned
analiebe.

I understand what you are saying. We have had a few discussions along the lines here at FL.
I have always said as an American I am and most all here are truly wealthy compared to others. I appreciate running water and not seeing my grandchildren walking around with a bowl looking for some rice.
Perspective is everything. Counting my many blessings.
I think it is much harder to of had and loss though then never have had before.
I was very poor by US standards as a child monetarily but didn't know it till others sort of told me I was. No.9 of 11 children. I was about 10 years old when that point came across to me.
I was raised in the country and didn't see inside a brand new car with leather seats till then. I was amazed.
When you are hungry you think a bit differently and desperate people do desperate things. :(

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.cityrating.com/costofliving.asp

this link is amazing for those in the USA though. It shows for example one can expect the same living say in San Diego California making $60000.00 in Little Rock Arkansas making $44,428.09.

I state that as in your chart you have to factor in cost of living in Brazil.

Everything is different where you live. Food, fuel, many factors come into play.

analiebe

A-List Customer
foofoogal... i understand completely what all of you who are suffering economically are saying - and i am certainly not living the high or easy life myself (or even relatively comfortable for that matter) ... i just think that sometimes it helps to remember just how fortunate we are in comparison to so so many who won't ever know for a single day of their lives what its like to not be hungry...
having said that i do hope that there are better days ahead soon for any and all individuals who are facing struggles, wherever it is they may live...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is an AP article on what is being called all over I guess 'The Great Recession'. :eusa_doh:

WASHINGTON - The recession is profoundly disrupting American life: More people are delaying marriage and home-buying, turning to carpools yet getting stuck in ever-worse traffic, staying put rather than moving to new cities.

The percentage of people who drove alone to work dropped last year to 75.5 percent, the lowest in a decade, as commuters grew weary of paying close to $4 a gallon for gasoline and opted to carpool or take public transportation.

Twenty-two states had declines in solo drivers compared with the year before, with the rest statistically unchanged. The decreases were particularly evident in states with higher traffic congestion, such as Maryland, Texas and Washington.

Average commute times edged up to 25.5 minutes, erasing years of decreases to stand at the level of 2000, as people had to leave home earlier in the morning to pick up friends for their ride to work or to catch a bus or subway train.

Nearly one in three Americans 15 and over, or 31.2 percent, reported they had never been married, the highest level in a decade. The share had previously hovered for years around 27 percent, before beginning to climb during the housing downturn in 2006.The never-married included three-quarters of men in their 20s and two-thirds of women in that age range.
Sociologists say younger people are taking longer to reach economic independence and consider marriage, because they are struggling to find work or focusing on an advanced education.

LD

Dixon Cannon

Funny, you should ask!....

Yesterday was the first day that I felt a palpable pinch in the wallet and realized that I'm "feeling the economic crunch".

It's the old truism: "When your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep becomes your downfall" Something's got to give!

-dixon cannon

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
cupcake said:
I'm feeling it.
Unemployed for months now since the cafe I got work at closed down.
I'm currently homeless also. It's a terrible cycle to get stuck in. Hard to find a stable job without a stable "home base" and it's near impossible to find a house when you don't have that income coming in! :eusa_doh:
i feel for you cupcake....was in this position for two yrs....after i left the army (relationship break up not long after laid any preplanning/avoidance to rest!!)
it takes time but does get better..it when you find your true friends too.xx:)

Undertow

Thought it might be interested to revisit this thread.

Personally, I have found it's easier to replace broken items with vintage ones, so my "collecting" hasn't been impeded, per se. I've also discarded some cheaply made items for more expensive alternatives that will last until I die.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
here in the uk the interest rates are so low .5%. people with mortgages feel a false sense of security. if the rates go up to lets say the 1980's levels of 18% plus. they just wont be able to afford the repayments.
the politian's have a lot to answer for.
im lucky as in i own my house outright. that said the bills just keep on a coming...
as monty python once said -always look on the brighter side of life-(under gritted teeth..)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran