Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Argyle Socks

Zach R.

Practically Family
If there is one thing that I see which is entirely distinctive to most collegiate styles of the Golden Era, I would say that the Argyle sock is the most important element to get correct.

Are there any good sources out there for "old school" argyle socks? All of my searches have come up dry.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Surprisingly, they seem to be big this year. I see a LOT of them in department stores. I've asked for a wheelbarrow full for Father's Day.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Weird!!! Kohl's had a large collection! They were... in the corner... floor-up display, hundreds of varieties of socks. Maybe I'd better get back there and buy some "right kwik?"

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Try this site. http://www.premierclothing.com/PremierDesignsPages/MensHatsAccessories.html

img227.gif

img224.gif

magneto

Practically Family
For the sock to last a lifetime....maybe I'm spoiled being in a major metro area but I immediately think:
(1) Stores specializing in golf apparel and accessories and (2) stores specializing in "Scottish" products (I'm thinking of that store near SF's Union Square, with a very proper kilted and argyled gentleman at the counter) What is that *really* nice brand..."McRitchie of Scotland" I think?
(Cue "Life is too short to wear cheap socks/hat/etc" comment here)

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
LOVE my Argyle Socks!

I really love argyle socks, and wear them at least 4-5 times a week. I began wearing them in junior high (early 70's), and have since always had 10-15 different colors in my sock drawer. There's just nothing like a pair of classic argyles to give me happy feet! Does anyone else please their pedal digits with argyles?

lyburnum

Practically Family
There's nothing that cheers my boy up more than a nice pair of Argyle socks. Everyone else thinks it's tacky that I buy him socks for Christmas, but he loves it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've just been thinking that I need to replenish my stock. The nicest Argyles I ever had were a blend of wool with rabbit mohair. Very soft and comfy, and they were a very gaudy combination of yellow and other colors.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
My friend had some really classy argyles with a little brass tag on - I'd love to get a pair like that... I was very jealous. It's all in the colour combos, I think, they can be really lovely.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
thank you for posting... I now know I am not the only one. I wear them at least 5 days a week if not more. Spring is a great time for them also because now is the time to bring out all the crazy light blues and yellows one can find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen