Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arrest made in Aero property recovery case:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I was on a "Not Proven" jury once. Despite the accused admitting guilt, the blatant dislike of some jury members for the victim meant that they'd never have committed the guy. Not Proven was a total cop-out, but sadly my experience of jury service wasn't anything like Twelve Angry Men.

The old saw that a jury box contains collective wisdom does not, of course, necessarily hold true; and under factual circumstance
a judge may overturn a jury guilty verdict (judgemente non obstente veredicto); judgement notwithstanding verdict.

(Sidebar) I read an interesting book in law school, The Conscience of a Lawyer by David Melinkoff,
which recounts the trial of Francois Courvoisier for the murder of his employer, Lord William Russell in 1840.
The defendant informed his counsel, Charles Phillips of his guilt; however, the accused nevertheless demanded a defense.
Courvoisier was found guilty and sentenced to death. His hanging was witnessed by Charles Dickens.
Charles Phillips, once word leaked that he had known of his client's guilt, was hanged in the court of public opinion.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
[It'll be really interesting to see what facts transpire from this .... a reasonable collection of jackets and jeans ...]

Ha Fanch..!! A quite 'expectable' and reasonable statement...heh..!! lol

Although obviously I copied and pasted the link incorrectly, I think my point of ".... a reasonable collection of jackets and jeans ..." linked to "Arrest made after Aero Leather theft worth £144k" was made. In any case, we'll see what the court has to say about the matter.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Can't/will not believe even the headlines?
This guy must of had one hell of a salary to 'own' all of this merchandise...don't you think..??
HD

You miss several points. Who? If someone is charged they are named. To be charged is not the same as to be arrested.

So I keep asking him why hasn't the man been named? I also asked him if that part of the contempt law is different in Scotland? Because I'm not aware that it is. However it might be so maybe he can tell us the answer.

I wrote all that before BTW.

Girl on a Motorcycle

New in Town
Hey, my brother's a lawyer and he's drinking tea in my kitchen. He said this guy has been arrested AND charged, so the case is live. And the police usually don't name names unless it's in the public interest - so we won't know who the person is until they are in court next month. And my bro' says that the gap between the raid and court must mean the police have been gathering evidence, so they must have confidence that this will go the distance. Also in Scotland there's a Procurator Fiscal to evaluate case strength beforehand
And Contempt of Court Scotland Act 1981 - some differences because the court systems are different, but as I say, the main thing to hold onto in all courts is that you don't name names unless it's public interest.

Now, can someone tell me more about this possible vintage sale ? :)

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hey, my brother's a lawyer and he's drinking tea in my kitchen. He said this guy has been arrested AND charged, so the case is live. And the police usually don't name names unless it's in the public interest - so we won't know who the person is until they are in court next month. And my bro' says that the gap between the raid and court must mean the police have been gathering evidence, so they must have confidence that this will go the distance. Also in Scotland there's a Procurator Fiscal to evaluate case strength beforehand
And Contempt of Court Scotland Act 1981 - some differences because the court systems are different, but as I say, the main thing to hold onto in all courts is that you don't name names unless it's public interest.

Now, can someone tell me more about this possible vintage sale ? :)

Thanks Marianne. That's what I asked him, but he answered a different question which I didn't ask.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
How does one walk away with what, almost 200 Aeros?

Yes, I want to hear this story too :D According to scotsman.com http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotla...r-goods-worth-140k-found-in-borders-1-2860876

"Lothian and Borders Police raided the address earlier this month, where they are understood to have found three rooms, including the attic space, filled with stock apparently belonging to Aero Leather.

Among the items seized were more than 100 leather jackets, which retail at an average price of £650, and more than 150 pairs of jeans worth £215 each."

How in earth you walk away with all that stuff? You need a truck!

Was the Aero factory assaulted or what?

reeks1

One of the Regulars
The old saw that a jury box contains collective wisdom does not, of course, necessarily hold true; and under factual circumstance
a judge may overturn a jury guilty verdict (judgemente non obstente veredicto); judgement notwithstanding verdict.

(Sidebar) I read an interesting book in law school, The Conscience of a Lawyer by David Melinkoff,
which recounts the trial of Francois Courvoisier for the murder of his employer, Lord William Russell in 1840.
The defendant informed his counsel, Charles Phillips of his guilt; however, the accused nevertheless demanded a defense.
Courvoisier was found guilty and sentenced to death. His hanging was witnessed by Charles Dickens.
Charles Phillips, once word leaked that he had known of his client's guilt, was hanged in the court of public opinion.
Harp,
AFAIK, JNOV is only available in CIVIL matters, i.e. NOT criminal cases. At least not in NJ, where I practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters