Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arsenic and Old Lace

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
OK, it's a Cary Grant film so what's not to love? Peter Lorre and Raymond Massey (in lieu of Boris Karloff who was in the stage production) chew scenery while Josephine Hull and Jean Adair fluff and flutter as only they could. Not to over look the sterling performance by John Alexander as the Roosevelt deluded 'Teddy'... all over laid with Frank Capra's light touch in a comedy/feel good movie...right?

IMO, no. It gives an insight into Capra's direction that indicates we maybe missed out on a horror talent that could, if unfettered, have rivalled James Whale or Tod Browing. At least given them a run for their money.

The deft handling of lighting as Teddy carries another 'Cholera victim' to be buried in the cellar. The hints of a dark secrets in the performance of Hull and Adair... it's Lovecraft in Brooklyn... the Horror at Red Hook without the Grand Guignol of that tale... you *see* nothing, yet, with a different sound track, it could have been one of the most disturbing films of 1944, even with Mr Grant's double taking every 500 frames... The fact that the 'Casablanca' Epsteins reworked the script no doubt helped but, as always, a Capra show IS a Capra Show!

However, it's a Capra/Grant movie so enjoy the look and the feel... but sometime, just for a moment, watch it as a lost horror classic by that master of the macabre Francesco Capra... I think the effort would be rewarding...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I could never take the horror aspect seriously - the film is just too broad and stagey.

I actually think it's one of Capra's weaker films. It's great fun, of course, but that's more from the clever source play itself than the film.

According to Capra's autobiography (The Name Above The Title - highly recommended!), they shot this film as fast as possible because he was about to enter the Army Signal Corps (to do the famous Why We Fight films) and they had an impossible deadline. There were very few takes and no time for finesse. For that reason, it's an overplayed, rather hysterical film, with some shockingly too-broad takes and reactions from the usually smooth Grant.

Entertaining enough, but far from top-flight Capra, IMHO...

Naphtali

Practically Family
Wasn't the film intended to be a showcase for Bell's integral handset telephones, new for 1941? But the film's theatrical release was delayed because the contract with Broadway show's producer included a clause that release would be delayed until the stage play closed on Broadway. So, by its 1944 release, the "new" telephones were no longer new?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've read that Grant didn't like it, thought it was his worst acting.

I, on the other hand, love the film, but especially Lorre and Massey.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
This is one of my favourites. I adore Grant in the film and was sad to read (from the above poster) that he thought this was his worst acting. I thought it was brilliant! Of course this could be because I didn't realize it was a horror -- I thought it was a comedy. :eusa_doh: I thought his exaggerated expressions were quite charming. Naturally I could be bias as pretty much anything he does, I think is charming.

alexandra

Practically Family
I, too, enjoy this movie. I directed the play version as well so I guess I have fond memories attached to the whole thing.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I enjoy the movie. Some of the humour from the play is lost in that the references to Jonathon looking like Karloff when played by Massey aren't the same considering Karloff played the role on stage. Karloff reprised the role on radio in 1946 with Eddie Albert as Mortimer.
Neither version ends with what my mother said was the original last line. According to her Mortimer happily proclaims to his wife to be "I'm a ba***rd!", happy that he isn't related by blood to that insane family.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
"I'm the son of a sea cook" meant almost the same thing...

Rather like the use of the word 'gunsel' (in "The Maltese Falcon") preserved Elmer's relationship to Cairo (who's heavy he was in the book) despite him working for Gutman in the film

One of the good things about using obscure terms... you can look the thought police in the eye and state 'Honi soit que mal y pense' with some authority... then wink broadly at the audience and exit stage left...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
grant was hilarious...i like to watch it also to see priscilla lane...yeowza...
and of course..."CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!"

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I find that movie fantastic and so does my man! I gave it to him as a X-Mas gift 2 years or so ago!!! I never saw it as a horror-movie though. An outstanding performance by everyone involved and damn is Priscilla Lane cute!

Feraud

Bartender
I recently read an news article from England (?) where two elderly women put up a homeless man or two for a while and bumped them off for the insurance money.
Not exactly like Arsenic but I thought of this film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo