Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Theatre saved!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
4th Ave.Theatre safe at last...

The theater, completed in 1947, features a marble facade with a neon sign, walnut paneling, and many other special touches, and was once considered an excellent example of art deco architecture.

birdsall.jpg

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/anchorage/story/8497142p-8390433c.html

Highlights of theater

Theater opens May 31 with a screening of "The Jolson Story." Building also houses KENI radio.

The double-Oscar-winning war film "Twelve O'Clock High" has its world premiere at the theater.

"The World In His Arms," a tale of seal-pelt poachers, Russian royalty and a race to the Pribilof Islands, has its world premiere at the theater. Actress Ann Blyth appears, but co-stars Gregory Peck and Anthony Quinn don't make it.

Theater unscathed in Good Friday earthquake.

Anchorage audiences view Richard Burton in "Hamlet" on Broadway via an "electronic-optical" link with New York.

Folly

One of the Regulars
That's such good news.
I love art deco and to see so much pulled down because it's fairly modern by all accounts, is heartbreaking.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My local Art Deco Picture House

As I understand, the oldest Art Deco movie house in Northern Ireland (that's still being used as a cinema). I used to live near to this. Although the one I went to as a child was the ASTORIA (which has been demolished).
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, as I've just got in from work and probably juggling too many things at this end.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/1108034118_f629687aa6.jpg?v=0

The wonderfull Cygnet Cinema formerly the "Como" in South Perth, still operating as a movie theatre, and still retains its art deco interior, the Australian Museum of Motion Picture Technolgy show vintage films once a month on a Sunday Morning, the next one is the Jazz singer with Al Jolson on October 19th and Calamity Jane on Sunday November 16th , $10.00 a ticket email ammpt@iinet.net.au for further details of screenings

VivaciousLady

New in Town
So glad to see these places are still around and showing vintage movies! What a treat! - - kind of OT, but they remind me of those wonderfully art deco buildings you can see in the 80s Poirot films. I hope those are still around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner