Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Articles says men lose fashion sense at age 37....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Never InStyle

Jeremy Clarkson, to funny! I am well over 37, I never really dressed in style, periodically I am in style, like the pilot look and the biker look. Cotton & leather, my favorite combo! I do not wear baggy jeans, but I am in a new pair right now. My old pair had so many holes it looked like something a teenager would buy new!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
So if they try to keep up with fashion they are "mutton dressed as ram" & if they don't they are dressed "too old fashioned". Seems like the poor old fellas just can't win.
One thing I do agree with though, Speedos (or budgie smugglers as we call them here) are never a good look & that's regardless of age.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wow, another lazy bullshit premise by a journalist, who could imagine that? From my own perspective, my taste improved after 37.

m0nk

One Too Many
I'm not quite 37 yet (only a couple years away though) and I think my fashion sense is getting slightly better rather than worse. I'm wearing more suits, less jeans and sneakers...

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I dress better now (almost 50) than I ever did. I have more suits than ever and I have several sets of formal wear. I am also a Mason so I have more use for formal clothing. Perhaps it is the lack of places to wear nice things combined with the low expectations that is leading to male style degeneration. Young folk are worse than old men. Contrary to what most 20 something guys think, slacks and a black shirt is not dressing up.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The survey of 2,000 women aged over 50 found most would prefer their men to copy the styles of actors such as George Clooney and Hugh Grant – but thought they actually dressed Jeremy Clarkson, Prince Charles and Alan Titchmarsh.

Wait, being dressed like Prince Charles is a bad thing? I can see not wanting to dress like Clarkson (although he is among my favorite people on television) but who could possibly have a problem with dressing like Prince Charles? The man is an icon.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why, of course. Self evident to anyone who has ever shopped at a midwestern Wal-Mart, or attended a NASCAR race.

Hi

I didn't see that checking Wal-mart is a good check of men's fashion sense. I haven't seen a picture of anyone wearing the backless hospital gown at WM Yet!!!!. :D

I think that my sense of fashion was at a low between about 30 and 40, maybe 45 because I was constantly dragging the son to baseball games and boy scouts, and the daughter to Girl scouts and a few other sports. It's difficult to get excited about what you're wearing when setting in the bleachers or coaching 3rd base.

I started wearing hats a lot more, and sport coats a little more after finding this forum, but I occasionally wear sports coats anyway.

Later

Undertow

Typical fluff article brainstormed as a piece of filler. I remember spending hours going over this kind of crap.

Every news posting or printing agency must fill space and in order to do so, they must brainstorm a trove of pedestrian articles that can be assigned, researched and printed. This is just one of many you may see.

The difference between a college-level journalist and a professional journalist is how much research is actually done, how many different angles are articulated and how any of the information should actually apply to the audience.

This article Rosie Taylor is guilty of lazy writing just like most of the others. That's what you get with "free" news nowadays, I guess.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The 30s are when men start to put on The Gut. The late 30s are when 5% of us get religion, start biking 500 miles a week and dress only in spandex and Timberland.

The other 95% become resigned and dress in shlumpy shirts and Dockers for the rest of their lives, except for one blue suit where the coat won't button and the pants ride lower and lower under The Gut.

It happened to me. I was never into fashion, but I've had to cut back on style. No point to good clothes if nothing fits.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that by the time I reached (about) 37 I was done keeping up, or evolving into the latest fashions, and just kept wearing all the stuff I had been wearing up until that time. By 37 I had established my own sense of identity. Since I was no longer 'keeping up,' I guess it could be said that had lost my 'fashion sense.'

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The 30s are when men start to put on The Gut. The late 30s are when 5% of us get religion, start biking 500 miles a week and dress only in spandex and Timberland.

The other 95% become resigned and dress in shlumpy shirts and Dockers for the rest of their lives, except for one blue suit where the coat won't button and the pants ride lower and lower under The Gut.

Fletch I generally love your posts, but this one hit it out of the ballpark. This one needs to be recorded somewhere, its really spot on as I look about at my friends and colleagues in this age group.

1961MJS

HI

Good post Fletch, I remember seeing pictures of the elite in past centuries wearing fitted suits of various styles. The 40 year olds had theirs fitted over the gut. That's not a look I consider stylish.

I was warned about the 40 year old growth spurt. My neighbor is 4 years older than me, when he turned 40, he went from a size 44L to a size 50L. At 40 I went from a 42L to a 48 L or 50R (depending on the suit). Shoulders, arms, gut, chest, it all stretched that year. I never owned a size 44 or 46 sport coat. Still wearing the 48L and 50R, but need to work the gut a little more.

Later

LizzieMaine

Bartender
sydney-greenstreet-02.jpg

"You *dare* to tell me to my face that I'm *not stylish?* WILMER!! See these people to the door!"

Metatron

One Too Many
I agree with the 'lazy writing' comments. I found it funny that many of us would be considered 'fashion offenders' by the criteria of this article:

'-Jeans that are too baggy
- high-waisted, Pants that are too old-fashioned
- Out-dated or too loud patterned shirts' :)

I think the problem with this premise is that it assumes that being contemporary is the equivalent of being stylish. I imagine that low waisted slim-fitting jeans are considered both contemporary and stylish by this writer. But this is obviously a youthful and let's say 'sexual' look, and I think it's each person's prerogative to want to dress in a more neutral, and less testosterone charged way. I think many here can attest to the flattering look of a well fitting high waisted pair of trousers. Personally I prefer the high waisted look, though I know it's unusual for my age group (24). However, I would also argue that less 'sexual' clothes are more age-appropriate for someone approaching middle age, not because they are *ahem* irrelevant in that area, but simply because I think one should take pride in his maturity and experience, and should consider drawing attention to his personality rather than his hips. I think that after all this is what good clothing should do, frame your personality in some way. Though I won't say that Jeremy Clarkson is a style icon, I can't really criticise the way he dresses because it appears to me largely utilitarian. I think there's dignity in that, and I can't argue with it. To conclude, I think good style is good style, and it isn't a matter of high waisted vs low waisted, baggy vs fitted, loud vs subtle, or contemporary vs old. Apples and oranges imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy