Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As A Kid, What Were You Like?

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Really shy.
Really active.
Legos. My brother and I used to make anything and everything look like guns too.
I was never really into school sports... Hunting season rolled around and I was no where to be found.
I was tall and skinny all the way through school. Still am.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I never liked toys much. Didn't watch cartoons. Rarely "played" outside....

...but give me my parents' records, their huge 1970s record player and matching huge earphones, and an empty basement and I was in heaven.

I liked MTV, too. Total anti-social MTV couch potato!!

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I grew up in a Latino/Black barrio in Los Angeles. I was short, skinny and a punk (kinda like Sinatra). Always getting in fights with a win/loss ratio of about 50/50. I also was in a gang. Trouble with the police and a junevnile record. I also caused trouble with the teachers, but always got very good grades, which they hated me for. I went to Catholic schools for a while. Got expelled. Went back to the school a couple of years later and got expelled again. Both cases for fighting and getting lippy with the teachers. In public schools same thing. I went to five different schools in 7th grade all over the L.A. basin. I was famous :D

I am still a punk, but now I am rich and handsome :D

M8

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Photo) At my grandparents'

Every holiday I'd spend down in the country and this was taken on the beach at the back of my grandparent's house. HAPPY DAYS :)

PaddyHomePics009.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was a textbook nerd, way back before nerds became cool! And I mean a science-fiction reading, chess-playing, movie-making and movie-collecting, photographically-involved, Mad-magazine-subscribing, terrified-of-girls hardcore nerd.

Shy or outgoing? - Generally shy, though I could always do the class clown thing or perform (I was a magician, in school plays, and we made our own Super 8 films).

Active or a couch potato? - Not a jock at all, but I spent vastly more time playing outside or walking around than my own kids do now!

What was your favorite toy? - My earliest toys were all lost when were burned out of our apartment when I was 5; later toys included (now politically incorrect) realistic cap guns, walkie-talkies, tape recorders, plastic models and such, then cameras and moviemaking equipment as I got older (including my first Minox spy camera)... and I collected hats from an early age.

What sports, if any, did you like to play? - I have always passionated hated all sports and simply don't see the attraction. Being a total klutz and going to tough inner-city schools where gym was entirely about basketball and lunch-money extortion didn't help!

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? - Average size, but always chunky (though when I look at pictures of myself as a teen now, I think I was downright svelte!)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Shy or outgoing? Unimaginably shy. Still, I had a fair amount of friends, and we were a tight knit bunch. I was also a complete doormat, and would go out of my way to make sure their happiness took priority before my own.

Active or a couch potato? I could alternate between two extremes, but for the most part, I could have lived outdoors, for the amount of time I spent there. With friends and alone, I would do everything. Build blanket forts and pretend we were the Boxcar Children, climb trees, have swinging contests on the neighborhood playground, camp out, etc. On the other hand, I could spend days at a time inside, curled around books, reading until I couldn't see straight.

What was your favorite toy? My collection of Breyer horses, and my Samantha American Girl.

What sports, if any, did you like to play? Tennis and horseback riding.

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group? Pretty tiny. Maximum height until 10th grade was about 4'10", and never got above 85 lbs.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I was always either the tallest, or one of the tallest in class.

I could read before I went into kindergarten, and usually had all the textbooks read by the first week.

My favorite toys were model airplanes.

I used to draw W.W. I airplanes in class, then sold the drawings to my classmates.

Never cared about sports.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I was quite quiet and shy at school, but bossy with my brother and just normal within my group of friends, not majorly outgoing, but not too quiet!

I was somewhere in between, activity-wise. I was on the netball and hockey teams from 11-13, then an influx of new kids came in, and there were lots who were better at the sports than me so I got kicked off the teams! I was always good at swimming, came first in loads of swimming gala races, got medals for diving etc. We had a pool when | was a child, so I loved it, until puberty came along, I realised all the other girls had something growing that I didn't (and still don't) then the self esteem and body issues came along and I refused to put a swimming costume on or and get in a pool for about 4 years. :( I was quite good at running though!
But I loved TV and books, had a huge appetite for reading, I think I did LotR at about 9 or 10 and would always rather be indoors than out in the cold. Sadly our school didn't let people skive games, and I'm grateful as it meant I was in good shape!

I had an entire village of Sylvanian Families, lots of my Little Ponies and Seaponies, a few Sindies and an array of cuddly toys. The Sylvanians were my favourite though, I still have them somewhere!

I was tall! Tallest girl in the year! Tall and lanky, not so lanky any more, but still taller than most girls at 5'11".

Steve

Practically Family
When I was younger, (I'm still pretty young,) I was somewhat obnoxious; the fat little twerp who was always trying to make a joke and never succeeding. I woke up one morning and realized it was a waste, so now I'm an introspective silent type.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
I was a very shy and introvert child with a low self esteem and I suffered a lot from it.

I was always the tallest or one of the tallest in class.

My favourite toys were my Barbies.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bright, nrrrd glasses and whiny voice, drew comix & built models but never studied, liked bikes and exploring but hated team sports or competition, had friends but basically f'd socially.

I've improved in all but the last 2 categories. However, I have fewer friends now than ever, and I expect I shall die alone, surrounded by objects and possibly a cat.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I liked my record player.

I drew a lot of pictures. Mostly of the wolfman or the Planet of the Apes.

I watched Magic Shadows every night with my pop, and we watched the creature feature on most Sundays before Disney.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Shy or outgoing?

Active or a couch potato?

What was your favorite toy?

What sports, if any, did you like to play?

Were you small, regular, or large for your age group?

I was very shy, usually only had one or two friends, but also very precocious in that I have been in my "30s" since I was about 10. I much prefered adults to other kids. Now, I am very outgoing, friendly, boisterous even maybe?

I was pretty wiggly and I liked to ride my bike around the neighborhood a lot, so I guess my bike would be my favorite toy. I liked pretend games, dolls, house, pretending "grown up life"

I played no sports, ugh, a fate worse than hell to me. I wore glasses so invariably if a ball was coming at me, it hit me above the shoulders and broke my glasses. I was in theatre, debate, yearbook, literary magazine.

I was really tall, the second tallest from 5th grade until 9th grade when I joyfully found out many high school boys were taller than me. Thank goodness for Two Story Cory who was the tallest so she got teased about height. I got teased about the name. I was really skinny, my curves filled in about age 18.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Well!...thank you Miss J.D.! How sweet of you!... you should see me in hats now! :D -d.c.

You're most welcome.

What can I say, I have a soft spot for cowboys; small or otherwise...
My Grandpa was one. :)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hmm. Probably roughly the same as I am now, but with less shaping/neuroses brought on by experiences and the World itself.

I was outgoing, friendly, and inclusive, but also prone to being private, quiet, thoughtful, and extremely observant - especially of adults. I loved books, dancing, music, and games. I had/have great relationships with my siblings, and we all had many friends.

I could be very willful, stubborn, and outspoken. When my Mother was putting it diplomatically she would say I was very "independent." I was very protective of the people I cared about and regularly stood up to bullies. I had a fierce belief in speaking the truth was always trying to stand up for what was right and fair.

I prefered the out-of-doors to being inside, and played outside daily with my siblings for as long as we could until our parents called us in. In the deep Winter or height of Summer heat, we would stay in the basement inside and play my Mom's Beatles records and my Dad's Elvis records and sing and dance. I also loved (and still do) board games and card games.

I hated being a child. Childhood to me was an awful state and lack of freedom. I hated being small; the fact that people patronized you and never took a child's opinion seriously... I found it maddening. I couldn't wait to grow up. I still feel that way. You couldn't pay me to be young again.

Because childhood was rough on me in many ways for many reasons, I find I'm having a sort of late-childhood now, and I'm thoroughly loving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum