Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
Pictures Barry...pictures!:)

Found a few nice looking ones on Ebay, Spitfire, think I might take the plunge one of these days and place a modest bid.....Will be sure to post some pics once I finally get one, which won't be too long, hopefully!

The pictures you have posted have really been an inspiration....You look as if you were born to wear them, I hope I can pull one off as easily as you do!!!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem I have with this method is that it becomes very loose after a short time especially if the ascot is made of silk.
I like the type on the right (image #8) as posted by Shindeco.
newestmisc063.jpg

I suppose one would need a lot of material to be able to wrap all the way around the neck then make a bow. It is sharp though.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
As I don't own any real ascots, I use a patterned silk scarf and do the 19th century stock a la Okisaka san. Perfect with linen pants, an unstarched white shirt, and a navy blazer topped with panama or boater.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The four in hand knot is deffinately my favourit.
It stays in shape even with silk. (What other material is there?:rolleyes: )
And even when it's hot...like in Tuscany!
Toscanajuli2007053.jpg

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Spitfire, you have an ascot/cravat collection that I'm mighty envious of, and you wear them all well.....They suit you indeed!!!! :eusa_clap

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Spitfir... In that pic you look amazing. I wish I had the Gravitas to carry off that kind of swaggar in just one image.

Great job!

I've been talking to a few people about those cravates... I can't do it yet, just not me. Goes against my Clark Kent/ James Stewart/ Indiana Jones mentality. Hemmingway can. You can. and, well those who can can.

Edward

Bartender
I like the photos BJB has posted - that's exactly how i do it. Cotton holds its shape better this way if you want to maximise coverage of flesh (IMO, the ideal is to have only the same amount of your neck on view as if the collar was closed and you were wearing a regular four in hand. I find that silk and silk-like (Rayon, acetate, etc) fabrics can "slide" when you tie them this way, but repeating step 3 a second time generally gives it enough body to stay put IME.

I must get some decent photos of my cravats, I've just bought three new ones from eBay this last week. I'm wearing an all-silk one today that is pretty much identical to Spitfires. :)

Edward

Bartender
It looks at least like he has made the effort to wear something proper. As a regular cravat wearer for about the last four years (I don't haver to wear a collar and tie in the office every day - on non-suit days, I mostly choose, shirt allowing, to wear a cravat), one thing that fills me with horror is the pre-tied "cravat." I can understand the pre-tied trend with bow ties to an extent as most folks have no idea how to even begin to go about tying one (even though it really is very simple with a small amount of practice). But a cravat? these people can always manage a four in hand, so why not a cravat - it's simpler!! Grr....

However, I digress. I do like his cravat (I just recently bought a very similar vintage one myself), but it's not something I would have chosen for black tie wear myself. I'd suggest it is excusable perchance for someone who wanted to make an effort but wasn't comfortable dressing so far above the run of the mill guests at the event, though. I wouldn't care, myself, but if that's what made the difference for him between dressing down to the standards of others and making an effort, well then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy