Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
LogeogRoma2008057.jpg

My new cravat - bought and worn for the first time in sunny Roma last saturday.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Very nice, Spitfire. I think cravats are perfect for the Continent.

I was in Cartagena, Spain last week and wore one of my cravats with fishing flies on it paired with a tattersall and Purdey safari jacket. May men were wearing them, so there were no second glances like in America. Two months ago I was in the Seychell Islands and wore my blue/white polka dots with a simple white shirt and received many compliments. I will definately expand my collection.

Will post pics next week.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lionheart said:
Thanks for the tip Carter - is the quality decent from them?

With apologies to Lionheart, here are photos of some items. These are of good quality but I'd prefer a bit more length on all but the silk since they are ideal for a 16" neck and mine is a bit larger.

teadyedsilk.jpg

Tea-dyed silk with tea-dyed lace. This one is 50" long end-to-end excluding the lace. It can be worn as a double cravat as shown. This is a one-of-a-kind item and the lace is fairly delicate.

burgtweed2.jpg

Burgundy and black plaid reverses to solid black. The tie flaps are 14" long and 5" wide.

plaidtweed.jpg

Houndstooth reverses to plaid. Tie flaps are 13" long and 6" wide.

oaky.jpg

Victorian Steampunk design. Tie flaps are 14" long and 5" wide.

Spitfire said:
Thanks gents.
I have been looking for a silk burgundy/white dots for so long - and found it in a tieshop in Rome last saturday.:D

I love the new one. I've been trying to find a fabric with dots just like that for some time. I'm wanting to do a range of colors in it. So far, the fabric is either a) cheaply made or b) insanely expensive.

Well done, and great find!!

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Is an ascot too much?

Although I detest the idea of ever doubting a single fashion impulse of my own, I'm asking what I'm sure is a tired old question: Would wearing an ascot (and by ascot I refer to the ascot scarf, or day cravat, worn under the shirt rather than the formal ascot) be too much day wear in these less fashionable times? I crave the honest opinion of my fellow loungers!

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
LordJohnRoxton said:
Would wearing an ascot (and by ascot I refer to the ascot scarf, or day cravat, worn under the shirt rather than the formal ascot) be too much day wear in these less fashionable times? I crave the honest opinion of my fellow loungers!

That's a very good question. I guess it depends on the occasion. I still wear ascots on a fairly regular basis. There's also a few loungers who wear them more than I do, and some who actually wear them to the workplace. But, I think we would all agree on one thing - If you haven't tried wearing one yet, give it a shot! Frankly, I think everyone looks great wearing them.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I wear cravats 5-6 days a week. (Allmost feel naked without it.)
Flashy? No. Attitude? Yes!
Maybe it's a european thing, but I never hear any negative or joking remarks.
Some times it's actually the opposite.:)

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
I wear cravats 5-6 days a week. (Allmost feel naked without it.)
Flashy? No. Attitude? Yes!
Maybe it's a european thing, but I never hear any negative or joking remarks.
Some times it's actually the opposite.:)

I have to agree with Spitfire - I've never heard anything negative when I've worn ascots either. I think it is something that is more flexible in Europe, though. When I was in Italy in 2006, I saw a lot more freedom in the way people dress in general. They seemed to pull it off shamelessly. I remember feeling that it was "style without affectation". In other words, they wanted to look good, they did look good, and it didn't make them unapproachable or affected in any way.

Edward

Bartender
LordJohnRoxton said:
Although I detest the idea of ever doubting a single fashion impulse of my own, I'm asking what I'm sure is a tired old question: Would wearing an ascot (and by ascot I refer to the ascot scarf, or day cravat, worn under the shirt rather than the formal ascot) be too much day wear in these less fashionable times? I crave the honest opinion of my fellow loungers!

Go for it. I wear them several days a week in the office - basically, if I'm wearing an open neck shirt, I'll be in a cravat as a general rule. Never had anything but positive comments - especially from ladies. ;) Much like anything else, it's all about confidence. If you don't make it a big deal, just what you're wearing and happy in, then it's unlikely anyone else will find it odd.

alexandra

Practically Family
I went through a phase last year of wearing ascots and bowties regularly. As a girl I think I got a different response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred