Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHP91

Practically Family
Anyone have any ideas how to untie some leather laces that look like they haven't been untied in decades? See attached photo. The ties are so tight and almost like they begun to mold together. I've tried using things like toothpicks and such but I don't seem to be making any progress. Thanks!
leather.jpg

Nacho

Practically Family
Anyone have any ideas how to untie some leather laces that look like they haven't been untied in decades? See attached photo. The ties are so tight and almost like they begun to mold together. I've tried using things like toothpicks and such but I don't seem to be making any progress. Thanks! View attachment 515549
Also heat gun in low setting.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jacket Stretching
I recently got a cross zip, which has a 22 inch pit to pit which is very reasonable for me. I know people say the shoulder measurement is not very important in a jacket but this has a 17 inch shoulder. It leaves me feeling pinched on my upper body when I move . so I’ve decided to enlarge it. I just want a17.5 to 18 inch shoulder.
I have read the threads on getting the leather good and wet and wearing it while wet and stuffing it with towels. The talk is about the water lubricating the fibers in the leather to allow it to stretch. However, when I have something to lubricate so one surface can slide across another I use oil or grease, not water. Do you think it would be better to hit it with a good dose of Obenaufs leather oil to get it to stretch? Would the oil work better than water? I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this approach before I jump in the swimming pool.
I'm not sure if this will work for the shoulders. Depends on whether the shoulder seam can stretch with. Chest is easier because there is usually no seam there (except for front yoke).
I am curious.

jeo

One Too Many
Does anyone have an experience with Falcon Garments? What is their quality like?

I first heard of this brand before my Fedora Lounge days, where people on other forums would rave about the brand. But how would this compare to the higher standards set here on TFL?

Yes. They used to stock them at Franklin and Poe.

I’ve also owned (and still own one) TOJ jackets, which is the now defunct company that came before Falcon Garments. Back when they first came out they were made in the same place in Korea. Not sure if they’re still made there.

They’re pretty good jackets of decent quality build and leather. Back in the day they were worth the price. Now I see they’re $900 and up. For that money you’re better off with something else imo.

jeo

One Too Many
What is the purpose of kidney panels? I'm learning there are both internal and external. I assume the internal is to prevent lining wear. So what is the purpose of an external? Just aesthetics?
Support and a little more protection. A proper kidney panel that is tightly cinched should provide support for the back on long bike rides.

Some companies just put extra layers of leather and some put a hard material there. I have a 50’s Pennys mc jacket where the liner has a little tear at the bottom and this fell out of the kidney panel area.

IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg

tk1971

New in Town
Received a Schott 641HH in 38 and I’m wondering about the fit. From what I’ve read, it should be a very slim fit.

I had an unlined horsehide 641 in the past but I didn’t like the fit. Seemed made for a much taller person than I.

Pardon my crappy pics, but how does it look compared to my Vanson Comet (competition weight in 38)? The Comet feels like it is a much tighter fit.

Also, this 641HH has a very soft and supple feel, unlike my Aero Highwayman oil pulled FQHH. Can I wear the 641HH as a motorcycle riding jacket? It weighs about 4.5 lbs so it’s on par with the Comet. It’s just so soft and supple so I wonder how it would hold up if I actually go down with it.

641HH
IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

Comet
IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg
IMG_0119.jpeg

As for the age of the 641HH, there’s no way to tell as the previous owner cut the number off the tag, but the main zipper looks great.

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
Anyone know if the Aero Speedway, since it is a pattern created with Levi's, is a different pattern block than other Aeros? I ask because I really want an Aero but I have the neck hanging problem with their jackets. I notice the problem is especially bad with their jackets that have the narrow collar opening that looks like its tilted forward on the shoulders. The speedway looks a little different around the neck and shoulder area, and I'm hoping this might mean I won't have the same problem with the neck on this jacket.

I know historically this neck hanging phenomenon has been attributed to neck hole and shoulder slope. Sorry for beating a dead horse.

Reactions: jeo

newtojackets

Practically Family
Yes. They used to stock them at Franklin and Poe.

I’ve also owned (and still own one) TOJ jackets, which is the now defunct company that came before Falcon Garments. Back when they first came out they were made in the same place in Korea. Not sure if they’re still made there.

They’re pretty good jackets of decent quality build and leather. Back in the day they were worth the price. Now I see they’re $900 and up. For that money you’re better off with something else imo.
The price is what surprised me. They are aero territory now, but guessing not as good?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Received a Schott 641HH in 38 and I’m wondering about the fit. From what I’ve read, it should be a very slim fit.

I had an unlined horsehide 641 in the past but I didn’t like the fit. Seemed made for a much taller person than I.

Pardon my crappy pics, but how does it look compared to my Vanson Comet (competition weight in 38)? The Comet feels like it is a much tighter fit.

Also, this 641HH has a very soft and supple feel, unlike my Aero Highwayman oil pulled FQHH. Can I wear the 641HH as a motorcycle riding jacket? It weighs about 4.5 lbs so it’s on par with the Comet. It’s just so soft and supple so I wonder how it would hold up if I actually go down with it.

641HH
View attachment 515707
View attachment 515706
View attachment 515708
View attachment 515709

Comet
View attachment 515700
View attachment 515701 View attachment 515702 View attachment 515705

As for the age of the 641HH, there’s no way to tell as the previous owner cut the number off the tag, but the main zipper looks great.

View attachment 515710

View attachment 515711
It’s quite hard to tell the fit from the photos. I suggest you prop your phone up on a table, and take a photo using the timer from a bit further away

tk1971

New in Town
It’s quite hard to tell the fit from the photos. I suggest you prop your phone up on a table, and take a photo using the timer from a bit further away
How does the Schott 641HH look (fit-wise) compared to my Vanson Comet? I thought the 641HH would be a tighter fit. Also, what's the deal with the horsehide being so soft/supple? I thought it would feel a little tougher... Did I mistakenly buy a fashion leather jacket due to lack of experience?

641hh
IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

Comet
IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg

Thanks.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Jacket Stretching
I recently got a cross zip, which has a 22 inch pit to pit which is very reasonable for me. I know people say the shoulder measurement is not very important in a jacket but this has a 17 inch shoulder. It leaves me feeling pinched on my upper body when I move . so I’ve decided to enlarge it. I just want a17.5 to 18 inch shoulder.
I have read the threads on getting the leather good and wet and wearing it while wet and stuffing it with towels. The talk is about the water lubricating the fibers in the leather to allow it to stretch. However, when I have something to lubricate so one surface can slide across another I use oil or grease, not water. Do you think it would be better to hit it with a good dose of Obenaufs leather oil to get it to stretch? Would the oil work better than water? I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this approach before I jump in the swimming pool.
Water is better as a lubricant because water evaporates, and the fibers cannot move back to their original position, making the stretch more permanent. I would not use Obenaufs to stretch. I would thoroughly wet the upper/shoulder area of the jacket and wear it over a thick hoodie until dry. I bet you'd gain some shoulder room.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone know if the Aero Speedway, since it is a pattern created with Levi's, is a different pattern block than other Aeros? I ask because I really want an Aero but I have the neck hanging problem with their jackets. I notice the problem is especially bad with their jackets that have the narrow collar opening that looks like its tilted forward on the shoulders. The speedway looks a little different around the neck and shoulder area, and I'm hoping this might mean I won't have the same problem with the neck on this jacket.

I know historically this neck hanging phenomenon has been attributed to neck hole and shoulder slope. Sorry for beating a dead horse.
The Aero Speedway is actually based off a vintage design, I saw an original on eBay once. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's an exact repo (ie: they copied the pattern). Your bet bet is to probably contact them directly about this. I had one years ago but I cant remember if how the neck fit sorry.

Observe

One Too Many
The Aero Speedway is actually based off a vintage design, I saw an original on eBay once. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's an exact repo (ie: they copied the pattern). Your bet bet is to probably contact them directly about this. I had one years ago but I cant remember if how the neck fit sorry.
I sent them an email, just waiting to hear back.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@jeo owns the original Levi's.

AFAIK the Aero is an exact repro of the original Levi's pattern.

1683808130180.jpeg

1683808128499.png

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many

@jeo owns the original Levi's.

AFAIK the Aero is an exact repro of the original Levi's pattern.

View attachment 516239
View attachment 516240

Here's the jacket with the Levi's label in goatskin. Mine is horsehide.

Levi's Speedway2.jpg

The Aero Speedway is a repro of the original Levis. This was confirmed by Ken at Aero.

As far as being an exact repro including cut/pattern, I'm not sure as I've never owned an Aero Speedway. I don't think it is though as my Levis has pretty bulky sleeves and I've seen people wear the Aero Speedway and it looks a bit slimmer. I did own the LVC version of this jacket, the blue/black and while it had the same fit, the pattern was modified and slimmed down all around.

Observe

One Too Many
Thanks for the info all. Honestly it looks promising that it may not cause me the same issues as other Aero patterns.

cbez

One Too Many
Any recs for lost worlds patterns that don't have parachute sized 90s sleeves?

I love the grainy hides they use but the sleeves kill me on most I've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav