Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Nice jacket. Because the reinforcing leather patch would be on the inside, you can try to save some coin and do the reinforcing yourself. The best glue to connect two leather surfaces on their roughout side is rubber cement. The bond will be damn near unbreakable. If you decide that someone else should do the reinforcing, I would talk to a cobbler, not a tailor. A cobbler will dig the concept of a reinforcing patch in a second, and will know what glue to use.
Agreed! The only issue will be getting inside the liner, but I see that there's no existing quilting (other pic looked like it)

Bluechel

Practically Family
It's a quilted liner actually, so this may pose a challenge compared to other linings.
I have a few ex-cop jackets like this and I honestly can't see them ripping in that shoulder area from the stitch holes. You have a double that someone was pretty aggressive with but I'd touch that up with Clyde's and move on myself.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip. When you say Clyde's, are you referring to this product? https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Recoloring-Furniture-ClydeColorTM-Technology/dp/B09MBQLPKZ
Yes, pat it on and rub in broader circle, and rub it lightly
I can't seem to find this exact brand in stock but there seem to be equivalent products on Amazon.
For me, it is only Clyde's...of course you can use whatever you're comfortable with. https://clydesleathercompany.com/

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes, pat it on and rub in broader circle, and rub it lightly

For me, it is only Clyde's...of course you can use whatever you're comfortable with. https://clydesleathercompany.com/
That looks good @Bluechel , particularly the part that says it fills scratches and holes like a putty. If it was my project, I would rub this compound into the stitch holes in circular motion like you say, but then I would try to take the excess off, leaving only the filled stitch holes. It just might work.

Bluechel

Practically Family
That looks good @Bluechel , particularly the part that says it fills scratches and holes like a putty. If it was my project, I would rub this compound into the stitch holes in circular motion like you say, but then I would try to take the excess off, leaving only the filled stitch holes. It just might work.
My message got interrupted by work, and appears to have been uncompleted... yes you need to rub the entire area with a clean cloth as a final step

Viking752

Practically Family
I have a Schott 174G that fits me great in every way but is 2” short in the body. The leather is exactly as I like it and I currently have it for sale. Now, I see a post from a Japanese IG account with the same jacket that has been I believe modified. Basically replaced the ribbing at the bottom of jacket and sleeve cuffs with leather. Question is how hard is it to find the leather to match a 20 year old jacket to add the 2”” I need and the cost effectiveness and more. I am not a flight jacket purist so this would not bother me.
my jacket:

IMG_0285.jpeg

modified
IMG_0414.jpeg

Bluechel

Practically Family
I have a Schott 174G that fits me great in every way but is 2” short in the body. The leather is exactly as I like it and I currently have it for sale. Now, I see a post from a Japanese IG account with the same jacket that has been I believe modified. Basically replaced the ribbing at the bottom of jacket and sleeve cuffs with leather. Question is how hard is it to find the leather to match a 20 year old jacket to add the 2”” I need and the cost effectiveness and more. I am not a flight jacket purist so this would not bother me.
my jacket:

View attachment 536922

modified
View attachment 536926
Wow...I love that look and that idea....hmmmmm. I also hate how these jackets feel when they grab at you on the small of the back....

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
my jacket:

View attachment 536922

modified
View attachment 536926
I think Schott repair department would be your best bet. i bet thats where the Japanese jacket guy got his modified. There’s a repair shop inside the Schott Japan retail shop. It’s not a hard job, like replacing worn out knits, but instead of knits use leather. He also did the cuffs.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Has anyone applied leather conditioner to naked cowhide? Grail from schott used to say not to, as this would clog the pores.

However my naked cowhide jackets have no water resistance, so I am babying them a lot more than I usually would

Bluechel

Practically Family
If they handle the lower back with a little more flair, this could really be
Has anyone applied leather conditioner to naked cowhide? Grail from schott used to say not to, as this would clog the pores.

However my naked cowhide jackets have no water resistance, so I am babying them a lot more than I usually would
, like their own product Otter Wax…?

newtojackets

Practically Family
If they handle the lower back with a little more flair, this could really be

, like their own product Otter Wax…?
‘definately do not apply a water repellent product to any jacket. Water replellent products seal the leather, when pores are closed on the hide it can not breathe and will cause dry rot. Once the leather is sealed by a water repellent any conditioner you would want to apply later can not be absorbed and the natural oils in hide will dry up.’

https://www.schottnyc.com/forum/posts/treating_naked_cowhide_with_pecard.htm

Observe

One Too Many
‘definately do not apply a water repellent product to any jacket. Water replellent products seal the leather, when pores are closed on the hide it can not breathe and will cause dry rot. Once the leather is sealed by a water repellent any conditioner you would want to apply later can not be absorbed and the natural oils in hide will dry up.’

Idk, seems a bit absurd to me. Finishes wear off over time, and you can always deglaze and reapply a product to keep the leather hydrated if you gunk it up. Frankly, if I can't wear my leather jacket in the rain, I don't want it.

Bluechel

Practically Family

please look at all the great information about the the CORRECT types of conditioners to use that do not clog leather pores Available by searching here on TFL….there are many!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace