Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are the leather jackets from Aero and Lewis Leathers enough for a beginner biker? If not then is there a way to retro-fit the armor into them?
I'm just planning to get a 125cc bike and commute to work about 12km each way. Max speed is only 80km/h.
Thank you.
As a beginner biker, I would get a leather jacket or functional fabric jacket from the respective discounters (here Hein Gericke, Polo, Luis; elsewhere they may be called something else). Especially if you're only travelling around town. When it comes to style, of course, that's something else. But I wouldn't hesitate to ride with an aero either. I did this for a long time with an Aero Café Racer. In the city without protectors, more sporty with a protector jacket underneath.
LL works just as well

KBlake

One Too Many
Should one use “supports” such as the pool noodle method for vintage leather jackets only or new ones as well?

Aloysius

What kinds of hangars do you guys usually attach noodles to, and how? I would imagine those kind of stiff but flat shirt hangers, so they're substantial enough but not preshaped?

KBlake

One Too Many
What kinds of hangars do you guys usually attach noodles to, and how? I would imagine those kind of stiff but flat shirt hangers, so they're substantial enough but not preshaped?
What I did is cut the noodles into sections that are just a bit longer than the hanger arms and then cut a slit down each of them and press the hanger into it the slit. found that thin felt covered hangers work well. I can provide photos when I’m back home tomorrow if you want.

MrProper

I have disposed of the pool noodles. They took up too much space. Instead, I got the widest hangers (50 cm) with thick ends (5.5 cm) and they work well. I don't hang the shearlings up at all, but lay them out.

Aloysius

What I did is cut the noodles into sections that are just a bit longer than the hanger arms and then cut a slit down each of them and press the hanger into it the slit. found that thin felt covered hangers work well. I can provide photos when I’m back home tomorrow if you want.
No need, that's exactly the type of hanger I was thinking of when I asked.
I have disposed of the pool noodles. They took up too much space. Instead, I got the widest hangers (50 cm) with thick ends (5.5 cm) and they work well. I don't hang the shearlings up at all, but lay them out.

I have a few of these from my Schott factory visits and they work extremely well.

KBlake

One Too Many
Anyone know the maker? Fidelity?
IMG_8475.jpeg

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
does anybody have experience with both schott and cockpit usa's current b3? I had the owner of legendary USA tell me schott isn't very good anymore and the one i bought is distressing like crazy. I want to sell it but it already looks 20 years old in the front and i've had it for 2 months with light use (as in i wasn't purposely rubbing on it or working with stuff, mostly walking and daily movement)

i was wondering if cockpit usa's jackets were more durable

jeo

One Too Many
does anybody have experience with both schott and cockpit usa's current b3? I had the owner of legendary USA tell me schott isn't very good anymore and the one i bought is distressing like crazy. I want to sell it but it already looks 20 years old in the front and i've had it for 2 months with light use (as in i wasn't purposely rubbing on it or working with stuff, mostly walking and daily movement)

i was wondering if cockpit usa's jackets were more durable

I would take anything Chris has to say with a grain of salt. Ever since he took over and split with Schott he’s been slamming them any chance he gets.

I was just at Cockpit USA. Their B3s are pretty flimsy and they don’t fit great. And they’re not cheap either. I wouldn’t go with them. I don’t have experience with Schott. I’d go with Eastman or Aero if I was in the market for a B-3.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I would take anything Chris has to say with a grain of salt. Ever since he took over and split with Schott he’s been slamming them any chance he gets.

I was just at Cockpit USA. Their B3s are pretty flimsy and they don’t fit great. And they’re not cheap either. I wouldn’t go with them. I don’t have experience with Schott. I’d go with Eastman or Aero if I was in the market for a B-3.
gotcha, thanks for the information. I don't want a repro though, unfortunately or I would 100% go for the eastman. I wanted something more functional so I want side entry pockets

Aloysius

Anyone know the maker? Fidelity? View attachment 605375

Yes, that's Fidelity. Picked one of these up for my friend for $100 and I'd say it's easily worth more.

i did not know that! thanks, i will reach out

Aero is unlikely to give you handwarmer pockets on a B-3, as usually they reproduce wartime contracts, however you'd have two options. You could go for a D-1 or B-6, which have handwarmer pockets by design, or you could ask for the civilian B-3 inspired jacket they just made for a TV show set in the 80s.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner