Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Ask Men" Video on how to buy a hat

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
The web sight Ask Men posted a video on how to buy your first hat. Was shot as the Stetson Show room, I think in NYC
[video=youtube;DVFjPTrJMBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFjPTrJMBo[/video]

I don't agree with everything but all in all a good video.

Jeff

tealseal

A-List Customer
I think it's a good video, with a lot of good points, particularly about wearing the hat instead of vice-versa. However, I wear my fedoras with anything from jeans and polo to suits (brown and grey/black respectively). Most recently, I've only been wearing trousers and a dress shirt, no jacket (Arizona isn't jacket-tie weather), and wear my fedoras or homburg with that outfit; again, matching colors. I'm not sure about a bucket hat with a suit to the office, but that may be just me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Did you notice the guy said that when a man gets out of college he should get a suit, even if he's uncomfortable wearing one? In my day you got one for high school graduation. Sigh.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I wore Suits in High School.:) and ties in grade school.:) I can tie a tie and bow tie with my eye's closed and not even thinking about it. Xaiver Brothers highschools I am sure others here have the same back ground. I always had several Jackets in my school locker. It was a great learning experience one that you really do not "get" until you are much older.

[video=youtube_share;DVFjPTrJMBo]http://youtu.be/DVFjPTrJMBo[/video]

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Turn around slowly and walk away

I haven't looked at the video, but if I opened the door to the hat store and saw what I see on the frozen opening frame of this video, I would turn around slowly and walk away calmly, and hope no one saw me coming out of the place.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I understand on the hats in the video.:) As with most of the Stetson stuff lately they are not looking to us to purchase their hats.
They are looking at the market that never has worn a hat or knows what a good hat looks like.

That's about the size of it, Ed. They aren't marketing to a bunch of troglodytes like us.

I joke a bit, but in truth I don't find those hats on the wall so objectionable. This is not to say I would find much occasion to actually wear one, just as I wouldn't wear one of those plaid cloth fedora-style things favored by those old fellows who have, for the most part, now shuffled off to the big haberdashery in the sky, but they seem about right for the younger guys at whom I assume the video is targeted. As has been noted here many times already -- at least they're wearing hats.

I understand on the hats in the video.:) As with most of the Stetson stuff lately they are not looking to us to purchase their hats.
They are looking at the market that never has worn a hat or knows what a good hat looks like.

Ed is dead on...they have our market share & are trying to get new market share...Harley-Davidson has gone thru same thing.
The bigger challenge is getting new loyal customers in the younger demographic...identify the new "cool" factor or manufacture it....

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I stop by a local vintage shop from time to time and see what he gets in from estate sales that he goes too. He told be last time that the Kid's look the black beat up hats the best. I think it is the Johnny Depp factor at play. I am just happy they are wearing hats because the will then learn that they like how they look and as they get older will find how much they love the wider that 1 inch brim's and Taller crowns that we here have learned to love.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I stop by a local vintage shop from time to time and see what he gets in from estate sales that he goes too. He told be last time that the Kid's look the black beat up hats the best. I think it is the Johnny Depp factor at play. I am just happy they are wearing hats because the will then learn that they like how they look and as they get older will find how much they love the wider that 1 inch brim's and Taller crowns that we here have learned to love.
I have to really agree with all you are saying here. Myself, I am evolving as to what I find I want to wear now, as compared to 14 or so years ago when I found my first real hat, (fedora). Not all stingy brims are flat out ugly, in fact, I have seen a few 2 inch brim hats for summer that if they would have been my size, I would have wanted to own them. I do still own a few hats that have less than a 2 1/2 inch brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails