Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

decodoll

Practically Family
I do! :) I think I make more nowadays than I buy vintage. I made the dress and hat in my Avatar. I'll have to see if I can dig up anymore pictures. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, I have! I made one for a lounge member last year, I believe. He chose the colors and the fabrics, and I made it up for him. It was my first smoking jacket attempt, and I think it came out well. I don't think I ever got pictures of it though.

Here's the coat M. Deckard mentioned:
30scoat1.gif
30scoat2.gif

30scoat3.gif

swankysister

New in Town
SHARPETOYS said:
Have you ever made any Smoking jackets? :)

Hmmm, I've made a man's purple and black paisley lounge jacket with fake black fur collar. Not quite a smoking jacket, and something that Oscar Wilde would look more at home in, but would that do?

And I can't seem to post photos, so I'll let your imagination run overtime. :p

swankysister

New in Town
Hi Lauren Henline,
I LOVED your coat BTW, I think that I was drooling too much to remember to type that in my last post. Very, very clever.
I don't have a website to upload photos from, but it's one of those things that I'll do eventually. :rolleyes:
I'm very much a novice sewer. Have enrolled in an overlocker course, and we'll be spending the first three weeks just learning how to thread the thing.

Lauren

Thanks so much! I'm sure once you get used to overlock you will never look back! And you don't sound like a novice to me! You had some great advice. Welcome to the lounge, if I didn't greet you properly before. And now I must get back to sewing...

Lauren

Those are lovely, Decodoll! I have to try a hat one of these days...

I have a vintage simplicity pattern just like the dress you are wearing! I was looking at it today, and putting it near the top of my "to sew" list :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks! Is it Simplicity 3310? That's the pattern I used. I just left of the back tie and changed the neckline a bit. I love making hats. I'm sure you'd be great at it.

Lauren

I just ran up and checked. It's not that one, and now that I look at them, it's a cross between two that I was considering! 3008 and 2887. Ha! I'll try to get one made up within the next month so I can post a pic. But for now I'm making my roomate a Phantom of the Opera dress for Halloween, and even though I'm getting paid for it, I'm bummed because I can't make my vintage repros!

decodoll

Practically Family
I can't wait! Would really like to see the Phantom dress when you're done as well. I've never seen the theatre show, but I love the movie.

This weekend I plan to work on a skirt. Nothing fancy. Just an early 40's a-line in a wool gabardine. My favourite style for everyday wear.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Ladies,your talent amazes me.I would have thought all the items pictured were museum quality peices.
How did everyone get started? Did you grow up around family that could sew?
I'd love to take classes,but don't think this is an area that I would be talented in.

swinggal

One Too Many
I've made quite a few things from vintage patterns. Dresses, shirts and my fav - a pair of wide legged fitted at the waist overalls from an early 40s pattern. I wear these dancing a lot and get a lot of compliments on how flattering they are.

decodoll

Practically Family
Ruby, My mom taught me most of what I know about sewing, and then I went on to get a degree in fashion design. My gramma taught my mom and aunt when they were young. We're all obsessed with fabric. :) Can't walk through a fabric store without touching everything! You should try looking to see if the Junior colleges in your area have sewing classes. It just takes practice. Although, I wouldn't recommend starting with vintage patterns. The directions are usually rather vague and assume you know what you're doing.

Swinggal, I think I've made the same pattern. :) Is it the one that comes with slacks and a hooded blouse as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran