Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The keyhole tag was used into the 60's on US-made hats. It's a bit hard to read the exact words under the crest on the sweat. In could in principle be several countries where Stetson had hats made under license, but the length of the country name probably fits Australia best :)

John Galt

Vendor
The keyhole tag was used into the 60's on US-made hats. It's a bit hard to read the exact words under the crest on the sweat. In could in principle be several countries where Stetson had hats made under license, but the length of the country name probably fits Australia best :)

Any idea who made Stetsons under license in the UK? Maybe Locke? I have beautiful Stetson Zephyr made under license there. It really isn't _that_ light, but it's made of fantastic felt.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any idea who made Stetsons under license in the UK? Maybe Locke? I have beautiful Stetson Zephyr made under license there. It really isn't _that_ light, but it's made of fantastic felt.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

From the English made Stetson I own I would hesitantly guess Christy's, but I can't confirm.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Blue Royal Delux Whippet

I believe this is an early model blue Royal Delux Whippet. In reading this thread the Whippet made it's debut in 1938. I was thinking this hat goes back to the early 40s but I'm not sure. Since it's a Royal Delux the felt quality is better than the Royal Stetson Whippets I own. The Whippet name is on the sweatband vs the liner. The liner is faded and material is very thin and fine. Does not appear to ever have had a liner protector. I haven't seen this particular color combination on a Whippet before. I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me more about this particular Whippet and help me date it. I'm not planning on selling it.

Brim: 2 3/4" with 1/4 plus grosgrain edge
Crown: 5" as shown (6" open)
Ribbon: 1 1/2"
Sweatband: Unreeded with zig zag stitching on back seam, leather is fairly thick.

photo4-168_zps1f51bc35.jpg

photo2-207_zps5909f840.jpg

photo5-169_zpse861c4b1.jpg

photo1-226_zps3049bbff.jpg

photo3-105_zps83c207f3.jpg

photo5-92_zps78c2ba76.jpg

photo1-113_zps1460548c.jpg

photo1-111_zps9295d0cf.jpg

photo3-106_zps7c1b13e4.jpg

photo1-112_zpsaef519c9.jpg

Very nice Whippet. I have Vita-Felt hats that share these marks and liner - I would say 1940s, whether war era or after, I'm not positive. Hanny's signature store in Phoenix was built in 1947.

Here is a Stetson Royal Vita-Felt homburg that uses this navy/burgundy color scheme:

vitaburg1.jpg

hannys_ext_lrg.jpg

Thanks... I'd like to do something like that, but with a prettier model. The first 7XCB I found came from Hanny's. I remembered looking up the store history at that time.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thanks for the feedback Allen. Nice Homburg color combination. Wish I could wear a Homburg but I can't, same with porkpies. Did you already know about Haney'? I can assume that the blue Whippet could be dated around 1947 or maybe a bit earlier depending when the hat was made before reaching the retailer or maybe it was a special order. I'm not sure how long Stetson would keep the hats in stock before reaching the retailer! It has an unreeded sweatband which could help dating it. I don't know when Stetson stopped using unreeded sweatbands. It would be good to start a thread of various retailers who sold hats and when they went out of business since some names crop up quite often. I've found it almost impossible to find information on certain stores. It's easier to find out when they opened then it is to find when the closed or went out of business unless they were a major department store. And them some stores like Hanney's may have had different stores in different locations that opened at different times.

Please see the post above yours for my comments on Hanny's - Phoenix (and the spelling of my name. :))

Google searching is a skill - I only know how to skim the surface. Searching "Images" and "Books" can often yield a reference point.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Two Whippets

In the last month or so, I picked up these two Whippets. They both belong to the style of Whippet that has the designation on the sweatband rather than the liner, but they're not Canadian; one was made for the more American Young's of New York, the other for the venerable and long-lived Wilson Clothing Company of New England.

Here's the grey one:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And the green one:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

They both have the slightly less-wide brim ribbon, and the ribbons are different:

image.jpg

Do you think one of them was replaced along the way?

Based on the size tags and the lack of tip protectors, I'd guess that these are both mid 40s, but I'm no expert in this matters. The grey one shows some wear in the sweat and the reed, which the green has two slight moth nibbles. Otherwise, they're in great shape. Both have 2 5/8" brims and 5" open crowns. What do you all think?

Cheers,
A

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Funny you guys say that! I paid way more for the grey than for the green; in the auction pix, the green hat clearly looked like Stetson's new Stetsonian with the exact same tawny color. Surprise, surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183