Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
DSC04672.jpg

One detail that my brown whippet didn't have is this stitching on the underside of the brim. I like it!

DSC04671.jpg

That's because the edge ribbon is asymmetrical on the gray one.....I think.

Pompidou

One Too Many
My dad is a collector/fanatic of cameras, and wanted the golden age "press hat" to add flavor to his collection. He found a vintage fedora on ebay, a size 7, but it didn't fit. He'd been spending ages trying to find out exactly what sort of hat it was. When the hat came in the mail, I thought I'd look really cool wearing those kind of hats. I've bought a few now - four total, two for me. The third hat I bought was a whippet - the new Stetson. I'll have lab-style photos soon. It was the hat he was looking for. Things came full circle. Needless to say, the fourth hat I bought wasn't for me - it was a Stetson Whippet 7.25. I love this hat. So does he. I'm glad I have my black Baileys' porkpie, because the idea of wearing father and son identical hats seems too Disney/sitcom for me. But here it is. Thought you'd all like a story about hats.

picture.php

Edit: It's a shame all my photos still only post as links. I'll shoot for 50 posts and see what happens.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
Looks pretty symmetrical to me. I thought so at first glance as well.[huh]

It looks like to me that a wider portion of the ribbon is showing on the top side of the brim than is showing on the underneath part of the brim.....or is that just an optical delusion?

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Types - fedoras.

:eusa_doh: Sorry for the vague question. I am pretty new to the hat terminology. Trying to learn.

Guess I am wondering if there is a style name for them.

I really like those wide, stiff brims of those two hats in the photos I linked. Just wondering if those would fall under certain categories.

The Whippets seem to have some of that but not sure of the hats I linked would be considered that.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
:eusa_doh: Sorry for the vague question. I am pretty new to the hat terminology. Trying to learn.

I really like those wide, stiff brims of those two hats in the photos I linked. Just wondering if those would fall under certain categories.

The Whippets seem to have some of that but not sure of the hats I linked would be considered that.

Feraud is correct in saying that the "style" or "type" is simply a fedora.....a name given to hats that resemble the style first worn by a character in the 19th Century play of the same name, however the definition has evolved over the years.

The Whippet is a model name given by Stetson to the particular model of hat that is being discussed in this thread: they have fairly wide brims and ribbons, as well as a brim edge ribbon.....and, of course, the name "Whippet" on the sweatband or on the crown liner. The crease and "flatness" of the brim can be molded to taste by the wearer.

Other styles of hats include PorkPie, Homburg, Trilby, Boater, etc., and each style has it's particular features. In addition, the hat-makers usually give a model name to the individual hats that they make, just as automobile companies give their models a name. The Impala is the model name of a sedan-type vehicle made by Chevrolet. A Bronco is the model name of a SUV-type vehicle made byFord, etc. In the same way, the Whippet is the model name of a Fedora-style hat made by Stetson.

Axl is wearing a Fedora type hat with a wide ribbon, but I don't see a brim ribbon, so it's not a Stetson Whippet. Depp's hat appears to have a skinny ribbon, thus it is not a Stetson Whippet. From looking at the photos, that's about all that can be determined. I doubt their brims are "stiff".....probably just molded with their hands to be straight and flat.

Hope this helps. Read the thread that Feraud linked to.....it's a wealth of info.

Randy

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much! Really appreciate all the info and patience. This place is great. Just wish I would have found it sooner.

Thanks, again!

Tone

A-List Customer
AXL DEMOCRACY said:

Hi Axl,
For that style have a look at the Borsalino Alessandrias. Depp's is a mink in the shot you posted (though, it's not always a borso he wears.) Same particular "style" of fedora, however. Neither are Whippets, but if you want a stiff brim version that's pretty similar, a Campdraft or an old Stetson Stratoliner could get fairly close with some work (but they'd also give a stiffer-brim version that you seem to be after, as well.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda