Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attack of the spread collars

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
The PoW seems to pull off the narrow tie, spread collar combo. No?

prince_charles.jpg

I'd say this combo works for him about 50% of the time. The other half, as in this picture, the knot just looks overwhelmed by the collar.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Matter of individual taste

For me personally, I dont appreciate the way it looks. I appreciate that others may appreciate it though! all that empty space there makes the collar either look too wide or the knot too thin.

BUt thats heresay, as its just my personal opinion versus yours. I guess it all depends on the individual.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:

And this is what I get for reading up in threads that don't really concern me... My eyes are burning in their sockets, and one of my favorite sex symbols looks like a male dominatrix. :)offtopic: , I know)

And now, back to collars...

-IL

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here Baby, Relax..................Calm Down...............

IlsaLund said:
My eyes are burning in their sockets, and one of my favorite sex symbols looks like a male dominatrix.

seanconnery1.jpg

jml90

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:
And what about Connery?

connery.goldfinger.jpg

Though, he can make any thing look good... well, just about anything:

91533919_5380deaf14.jpg

lol

Kind regards,
Magnoli
I smell a new replication Indy......

moustache

Practically Family
bow ties

I wear bow ties most of the time.Spread collars do not work well with them.I prefer point collars.
But when i do wear a long tie,i prefer Windsor knots.Then the spread is fine.

JD

Feraud

Bartender
Do not feel bad about your collar scotrace. You looked great at the event!
Most collars do not seem long enough to look vintage so we have to settle with what we can get.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
Most collars do not seem long enough to look vintage so we have to settle with what we can get.
Yes, it's rare to find a modern RTW shirt with collar points longer than three inches.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am a fan of the spread collar shirt...

... though it can make one's face look wider. And Ghost, I hate to disagree with you, but I like the chunky knots that are out now. They may be similar in size to the seventies ties, but at least the patterns and materials are nicer. You certainly need a spread collar to accommodate these.

Even J. Crew sells spread collars these days.

If you want to long pointed collars, certain clothiers like Brooks Bros and Charles Tyrwhitt offer them.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i have to agree with Matt and Ghost... i see the ubiquitous spread collar becoming collar of choice for the modern man. i prefer the longer pointed collar of the 40s, but if i couldn't find them i'd settle for a compromise, something like this:

Gavin_Matthews_18.jpg

i have some 50s shirts which have a similar size of collar. not too pointed, not spread, just sort of average size. perfect for the guy who can't decide.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
i have to agree with Matt and Ghost... i see the ubiquitous spread collar becoming collar of choice for the modern man. i prefer the longer pointed collar of the 40s, but if i couldn't find them i'd settle for a compromise, something like this:

i have some 50s shirts which have a similar size of collar. not too pointed, not spread, just sort of average size. perfect for the guy who can't decide.

I'd call that a moderate spread. That's what the majority of my shirts are. If the points of the collar are hidden (or almost hidden) by the jacket's lapels when the jacket is closed, I consider it a spread collar. If not, it's a point collar. I think I read that distinction somewhere, maybe in one of Flusser's books.

benstephens

Practically Family
It seems to be near impossible to get collars that look anything like the ones you want. I have a lot of difficulty finding the nice spear point collars.

However, I am trying to solve that, I have started making my own, here is my first attempt, this was a practice. The next one I have made is much better, and much straighter sticthing.

collar2.jpg

collar.jpg

I have yet to put the button hole in. I made another one today, this time in cream from the tail of a lovely shirt, that had long since lost its collar. I have made a pattern now, but I change the tips of the collar to give a more sporty casual look by being slightly rounded at the end.

It would also be even easier to change the collar on a collar attached shirt for one this shape.

There are a few things with them, such as the stitches are a little big, although they look nice worn.

I would like to see different styles of collar. Bearing in mind that Van Heusen styles go upto 99, and bespoke shirts in the 1930s seem to have a vast array of collars.

Kind Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is the cream one I have made. It is better than my first one, and this time in the right size!

creamcoll1.jpg

creamcoll.jpg

This one is made from the tail of a vintage shirt, The points are level, it is just because I have only pinned it on the tin that it is slightly lop sided.

Kind Regards

Ben

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Looks great! I especially like the curve you've put into the bottom of the collar. Are you going to attach them to a shirt, or keep them as tab collars? Can't wait to see these posted on a shirt with a tie!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

benstephens

Practically Family
This one I am going to keep as a Tab collar. It is from an original shirt that was missing a collar but had very long tails, so I had enough to make a collar for it.

I will put the button holes in today and then post a picture of me wearing it.

Kind regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred