Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention UK members please

dr greg

One Too Many
My 20 yr-old nephew is going to the UK via Turkey Italy etc in December, so naturally the subject of winter wear has come up, he has a Burberry trench I gave him, and as a military greatcoat would be too heavy to take on the Sri Lankan leg of his trip I advised that the Burb would probably do the trick.. however he is concerned that wearing Burb in the UK will immediately mark him as some low-rent parvenu, or chav, and is shopping for an Aquascutum...does the prejudice against Burb extend to all garments, or just those which feature the pattern on the OUTSIDE?

wdw

One Too Many
I'd say no problem at all if it's a standard plain coat. My wife and very style-conscious older daughter wear theirs with pride and it definitely still has snob appeal. They only wear it if rain is likely, though.

Can't say I've ever seen a young guy wearing one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Burberry only becomes tacky if it's the pattern stuck on to a baseball hat or a sweater. As a lining on raincoat, it's absolutely fine and still has a lot of class. This is what you want to avoid:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Sloan, that picture's an absolute classic.

Nice legs all the same.

And a nice new nose:p
Unfortunately most of what she has there is probably the real thing(TV stars you know:eeek:)
Burberry is a classic style, it is only when it is worn by 'Chavs' it gains the reputation undeserved. But then they usually resort to the cheap, Far Eastern knock offs rather than the exclusive garments we all know. Dont get caught wearing the baseball cap though or you might get pulled in for the audience for a Jeremy Kyle show.;)

Edward

Bartender
Fwiw, Burberry *never* made a baseball cap, so any of those you see are fakes. A trench with the lining is not classifiable with the uniform of the 'Burberryscum'. That said, unless he has the wool lining it won't cut it in an actual Winter in the UK (as opposed to the Belfast in May conditions you Down Under think of as "Winter" ;) ). Something like a nylon B15 or MA1 might be a good choice... warmth and light to carry the rest of the trip.

Edward

Bartender
yes, no need to worry. the 'chav' about town would never wear an actual Burberry trench coat. in fact, you rarely even see the burberry check caps these days.

Yes, I believed they moved on to a new form of ugliness some time ago (to paraphrase something Uncle Oscar once said).

wdw

One Too Many
Edward, they've cornered the market in Barbour Internationals in Edinburgh at least, sadly. Often en famille, like the pic above.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
And a nice new nose:p
Dont get caught wearing the baseball cap though or you might get pulled in for the audience for a Jeremy Kyle show.;)

Fwiw, Burberry *never* made a baseball cap, so any of those you see are fakes.

That's sort of what I meant;). We will probably see some iffy Louis Vuitton Malletie trainers or something like that in the near future. Probably made in China!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
That's disappointing WDW, I've bought a black International and intended to bring it home to Sunny Leith in October with me. As 6'3, 43 year old man, am I going to be shunned and sniggered at in the ale houses of The Shore?

Flashy

Edward

Bartender
Edward, they've cornered the market in Barbour Internationals in Edinburgh at least, sadly. Often en famille, like the pic above.

Bummer. Fortunately that hasn't happened down here.

That's sort of what I meant;). We will probably see some iffy Louis Vuitton Malletie trainers or something like that in the near future. Probably made in China!

Interestingly, I've never seen in the wild a single pair of those trainers made as a result of that guy whoring out Harris Tweed to Nike. Which is nice.

So, if all the chavs start wearing A2s - do we ditch them??:eeek::D;)

Then, my boy, then it comes time to form a militia....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred