Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention UK members please

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think the issue here is you guys don't speak English lol
You could start a whole new thread on that subject. From the GI's in WW2 bringing Americanisms across the pond, and taking home some Brit ones on their return, to today's television, that flows back and forth across the Atlantic.
One thing that does piss me off though, is the way American film makers and TV producers always seem to think that they have Americanise screen imports. You would be forgiven for thinking that our cousins in the new world couldn't work out the odd colloquialism.
On a trip into the Southern States, we were feted by almost everyone we met.
They adored programs like Morse. Yet other imports are either remade, or worse, sub titled. Not taking a pop at Americans, I know you are savvy, just the way program makers treat you.

pipvh

Practically Family
I don't personally think that wearing a Burberry trenchcoat could possibly make the OP's nephew look like a member of that particular British tribe - I'm avoiding the 'c' word - epitomised by the Burb ballcap. Quite the opposite: he'll look (in the UK) like a Young Conservative or just a nerd - not the fault of the wearer, but of the garment. A classic 'Mac' would be much safer and more useful, I'd have thought, or something like a Filson or Woolrich hunting jacket (lots of pockets). The last thing he'll want to feel as he travels around is self-conscious and I'm afraid that he won't find very many 20-year-olds wearing trench coats unless the coat is very old or very beaten up.

majormajor

One Too Many
he dresses like he does because his uncle is a vintage clothes dealer, and he has accompanied me on hunting/buying trips for the last 7 years or so..therefore he is into classic styles, and buys/dresses accordingly, I really would have thought that such taste being handed down to the next generation would be applauded in such a forum...

It is interesting that this thread started by asking for advice from UK FLers, and yet the replies are now being questioned.

If your nephew is the cool dresser that you believe him to be, then he shouldn't need anyone's advice on what to wear. So why ask on here?

Re the trip, I think you might find that he comes back with plenty of new ideas of his own about style. I don't think it is our advice he needs right now - at 20 years old, he will soon establish HIS own style, and it could be quite different to what has gone before:D;)

pipvh

Practically Family
After years of my tailoring advice, i can assure you my nephew is not at all 'self-conscious', as he is used to being far and away the best dressed chap in the room...

I'm sure that's true. But 'best dressed' doesn't necessarily mean 'comfortable, practical and cool' while on a round the world adventure (I'm extremely envious, btw!).

The fact remains that in a trench coat he'll look as if he's on his way to a day's work at the tax office. If that's the effect he's after, then I'd say go for it, but somehow I doubt that's the case.

Last edited:

dr greg

One Too Many
"It is interesting that this thread started by asking for advice from UK FLers, and yet the replies are now being questioned.
If your nephew is the cool dresser that you believe him to be, then he shouldn't need anyone's advice on what to wear. So why ask on here?"

The enquiry was about a BRAND, not the style, due to the negative press he's seen about Burberry, very simple question, and the answers not disputed, so I don't know what you're on about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn