Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attic Find

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I just found what I can only assume is a vintage fedora stashed in storage. Anybody familiar with Brent hats? It has a Montgomery Ward price tag in it, but it's ripped. I think it's got a price of $4.95. The sweatband has "The American" embossed on it, size 6 7/8. There's no indication if it's fur or wool felt, but it feels like fur to me. The felt and trim is in great condition, but needs a reblocking. The sweatband and liner need replacing. Anybody got a clue on what I'm looking at? It's far too small on me, otherwise I'd fix it up. Here's the album of pics...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelgarcia13/detail?.dir=/ad67&.dnm=a281.jpg&.src=ph

Not bad. You have Montgomery Ward hat that was sold with under the brand name Brent. I have one similar but without the bound edge. These were contract hats likely made by Lee . Lee manufactured hats for many private labels. They even made bodies for sale to hatters in the golden age.
This example is sort of atypical for a Brent though. It has a wider ribbon and a bound edge. I have not seen an example like this but then again maybe not many of them survived this long . ;)

Regards to all,

J

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have a Brent Hat, complete with hatbox. Indeed it was sold through Monkey Wards. The booklet that came with the hat tells you many things. The hat is made of felt. Can be worn in the rain, and even describes the proper way to put the hat on, and take it off. My Brent hat is Bankers Gray in color. It cost me about $20, but that was with the original box and shipping. (ebay item.)

Chad
ps...somewhere on here are pictures of me with it on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR