Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUCTION #56: Stetson - Royal Stetson - Size 7 3/8 - C0000228933 - SOLD

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
END DATE: Wednesday, July 9, at 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4) according to Lounge Server.

AUCTION #56: Stetson - Royal Stetson - Size 7 3/8 - C0000228933

HAT BARCODE: C0000228933
BRAND: Stetson
STYLE: Royal Stetson
SIZE: 7 3/8
CONDITION: Pristine
MOTH NIBBLES?: No
BRIM WIDTH: 2 3/4"

C0000228933_1.jpg

C0000228933_2.jpg

C0000228933_3.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John, what color is the ribbon on this hat? It's hard to tell from the photos. It looks like it might be black or dark brown or maybe even green.

Thanks.

I'll open for $200.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's a classic...

The ribbon is very dark brown. This hat is beyond words.

BobC said:
John, what color is the ribbon on this hat? It's hard to tell from the photos. It looks like it might be black or dark brown or maybe even green.

Thanks.

I'll open for $200.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Does anybody have any info about dating this hat?

I seem to remember that Stetson stopped supplying Hirsch's sometime in the mid-40's -- is that right johnnyphi?

So, in terms of dating, this lid is certainly early to mid-40's at the latest. What intrigues me is the extra stitching around the reeded portion of the sweat. I notice that on a number of johnnyphi's lids. I'd be curious to know whether that detail could be used to date the lids more precisely. I'm inclined to think that this detail dates the lid to the very early 40's. Anyone know anything about this stitching technique and when it was used?

Cheers,
JtL

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Likely age of this hat...

This hat is probably from the early 1940s. We've had a great discussion about the question in the Hats forum.

Click here to check it out... http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=608863#post608863

jimmy the lid said:
I seem to remember that Stetson stopped supplying Hirsch's sometime in the mid-40's -- is that right johnnyphi?

So, in terms of dating, this lid is certainly early to mid-40's at the latest. What intrigues me is the extra stitching around the reeded portion of the sweat. I notice that on a number of johnnyphi's lids. I'd be curious to know whether that detail could be used to date the lids more precisely. I'm inclined to think that this detail dates the lid to the very early 40's. Anyone know anything about this stitching technique and when it was used?

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

Thank you JtL, johnnyphi and Art the the help with my question about dating this hat and for extending my vintage hat education. I very much appreciate the input from those of you who are far more knowledgeable than me.

BobC

jimmy the lid said:
Bob -- Congrats! That's one heckuva nice lid. :eusa_clap

Thank you, JtL. I feel like I got a really great deal on a really, really great hat.

Thanks too for your hat history lesson. It definitely helped me to decide to keep bidding on this hat if I needed to, but as it were, I didn't need to.

Yesterday was a great day. I won this auction and I talked to Art Fawcett about getting one of his hats started. ;) ;) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy