Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auction Prices for Fedoras of Famous People

Hi All

I just came across an article about the price of fedoras/hats of famous people.

1- Indiana Jones original hat from the two IJ movies fetched 40K

2- One of Howard Hughes fedoras fetched- 18k

3- 6k for a fedora signed by Michael Jackson

4- 2300 for a hat worn by Winston Churchill

However I did not see any pics of the items.

If any of you great FL members have any pics of famous hats from famous folks fetching big bucks at auction, please post the info.

TIA

Best regards
CCJ

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Funny, those hat prices almost seem to be inversely related to the historical importance of the personage. Well, not really funny, but more sad than anything.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There have been a couple "screen used" Indiana Jones fedoras sold in the past.
indy_hat.jpg

This was a Temple of Doom fedora.

Here's Oddjob's steel brimmed bowler from "Goldfinger."
4903589_1_l.jpg

This would have been a Lock & Co. Square Crown Coke originally, modified by the props dept to have the "deadly" brim.

The vintage Milan Johhny Depp wore in "The Rum Diary" was also on eBay last year.

There have been a couple "screen used" Indiana Jones fedoras sold in the past.
indy_hat.jpg

This was a Temple of Doom fedora.

Here's Oddjob's steel brimmed bowler from "Goldfinger."
4903589_1_l.jpg

This would have been a Lock & Co. Square Crown Coke originally, modified by the props dept to have the "deadly" brim.

The vintage Milan Johhny Depp wore in "The Rum Diary" was also on eBay last year.

Thanks for the post.

I wonder what size hat Oddjobs wore? Huge to say the least.. I saw another thread about a fellow having a size 9. WOW

Best regards

CCJ

Hi Folks

My Grandson is actually doing a highschool essay on fedoras. Hence he is gathering information and passing his new found knowledge onto to me. He picked the subject because of my new interest in fedoras.. Made grandpop happy!

TIA

Best regards
CCJ

Walt

One of the Regulars
When Heritage Auctions held the John Wayne estate auction (last year?) I seem to recall there was a John Ford fedora in the collection. I think it got something like $5K, but memory is fuzzy on that. If you search their website you can probably find it and possible other hats as well since they do lots of celebrity auctions.

BTW, I know you only asked about fedoras, but one of the Duke's western movie hats fetched $119K!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I remember seeing a hat that belonged to Frank Sinatra in an antique mall in NYC. They asked for 10K for the hat. This was around ten years ago.

I would feel more comfortable buying an item from a large auction house more so then a regular vendor.
I believe the auction house would be more responsible in terms of "Authentication'. etc.

I be interested to know if legendary coach Tom Laundry of Dallas Cowboys fame, had his hat collection sold at auction.

TIA

Best regards

CCJ

Walt

One of the Regulars
CCJ, Have you tried Heritage Auction's website? There should be lots of famous fedora info on there. YOu have to register I think, but it's free to look once you do so.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately the auction site does not identify details on manufacturer or provide interior pictures of the hat.... :(

From the world-wide inter web:

What shoe size does Lyndon B. Johnson wear??

Although we couldn't find his shoe size, LBJ was six feet four inches tall and wore a size 7-3/8 Stetson hat.

Not that I would doubt anything I heard on the internet, but I do remember reading that he wore Resistol hats.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now that would be a thing to own, if you trust the inscription (in other words, what's to stop someone from printing a famous name on a hat band and selling it at a premium price). Having said that, I would think it's probably real. But my offer price would include a discounting to account for the risk that the hat is a hoax. But even if the hat were real, but was only one of dozens that were given to LBJ, owning one would be iconic, and definitely worth bidding for. If I had extra money to toss around, and was size 7, I'd be a bidder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda