Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austin Reed suit 42R dated 10-6-1953

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last week I bought a very nice 1953 suit on ebay. It arrived mid week and is perfect-1953 out of a box! This is my first vintage suit as i generally buy RAF and USAAF uniforms and flight gear. It fits me well, but I will need to shorten the trousers by 3cm! What do you think it cost?

MYDHZYN6XGLZ.jpg

UMRPDW7KKQ9Q.jpg

6P63KHYLC8NV.jpg

7BYTSAATZZCU.jpg

G7D5RZGHAD4P.jpg

GBR

One of the Regulars
A nice looking suit.

Out of interest it would be helpful if you could let me have some details to help spec a modern replica i want to commission.

Button fly?
Lined trousers
What pockets in the trousers and the inside of the jacket.

being MTM/Bespoke (Possibly the latter in those days) it may well reflect its owners choice but I suspect many were less discerning then and it may reflect RTW practice.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Austin Reed

There was an Irish guy who was the head tailor at AR for years who they reckon was responsible for the high quality and reputation of their manufacture.

Feraud

Bartender
Not sure of the cost but a great suit.
There is an Austin Reed 2pc. tweed suit sitting at one of my local haunts.
It is a bit small for me but I check it out every time I am there.

Jovan

Suspended
Hemming trousers is fairly inexpensive and just about the easiest alteration to do. Heck, you could probably find a friend or relative who can do it (like I do). If you want to save even more time and money, you might consider learning how to do it yourself. I'm thinking of doing so!

That said, you got a steal, I'm envious, wear it in good health... and so on and so forth. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy