Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austin, Texas needs a real hat shop!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
How is it that a town as wealthy and trendy as Austin, Texas lacks a real hatter? There's Texas Hatters in Lockhart, but they're a 30-minute drive away and mostly western. There's an ol' boy over on the east side who works on hats, but he's a disaster. I would think that by now it would be an obvious addition to this town.
I'm seeing fedoras and homburgs all over the place, but they're mostly wool. Maybe some Austinite knows a Dellionaire willing to spring for a new small business. The only other solution I can think of is to locate some compromising photos of Art Fawcett and blackmail him into opening an outpost here. Am I the only Austinite who wishes a real hat shop would appear here?

kbadr

Familiar Face
I've bought a few hats from www.hatbox.com. They're on 6th, just east of Congress. Their selection in the store isn't particularly wonderful, but the women who owns it seems rather knowledgeable and I'm sure they could order things for you.

majormoore

Vendor
Texas Hatters is right off I-35 South about 25 miles south of Austin. Drive on down, or go east toward Bryon, Texas to Catalina Hatters, they are about 50 miles east of Austin. I have been to both many times.

Major Moore,

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I guess what I'm talking about is a real hatter, not a just a hat sales person, but someone who can strip a hat and clean it, and more importantly, someone who can build custom hats.

majormoore

Vendor
Go to Catalena hatters, they do complete redo's no matter how dirty the hat, and they can make any type hat you want.

To open up a real hat shop you need some serious money, the hardest thing is finding the old equipment needed.

Maybe one day my wife and I will pack up and move back to Texas, she has all of her family in Austin and the areas south of Austin and I'll take my hat shop with me. I sure do like that Texas hill country.

Major Moore

indycop

I'll Lock Up
majormoore said:
Go to Catalena hatters, they do complete redo's no matter how dirty the hat, and they can make any type hat you want.

To open up a real hat shop you need some serious money, the hardest thing is finding the old equipment needed.

Maybe one day my wife and I will pack up and move back to Texas, she has all of her family in Austin and the areas south of Austin and I'll take my hat shop with me. I sure do like that Texas hill country.

Major Moore
Uh, how about Jacksonville instead?:rolleyes: :D We need a hatter!

majormoore

Vendor
I do yard work here with a bull dozer and round up, my wife has me all the time making her new gardens around the house or out by the pool. I hate yard work.

Her sister lives up on Mt. Bownell, there in Austin, over looking the lake.

Major Moore

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Mount Bonnell is solid limestone, so you won't have to worry much about gardening. Just load up your hat-making gear and head this way, and you can devote all your time to making hats.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I like IndyCop's plan...Move to Jacksonville or North Fla in general....we are in desperate need of a proper hattery!:eusa_clap
Besides...Texas already has so many....and the SASS groups are pretty good.....:D :D

majormoore

Vendor
My real job, has a office in Orlando, I travel there about 3 times a year. At night and on the weekends I make hats, with one day hoping to go full time in the hat making business, but there is a huge shortage of some equipment and also there are only so many customers that can or will pay to have a hat built.

But the one thing is I sure do like making them, and each person has to have a goal to work toward, mine is going full time in a few years into making hats full time.

Mike

indycop

I'll Lock Up
majormoore said:
My real job, has a office in Orlando, I travel there about 3 times a year. At night and on the weekends I make hats, with one day hoping to go full time in the hat making business, but there is a huge shortage of some equipment and also there are only so many customers that can or will pay to have a hat built.

But the one thing is I sure do like making them, and each person has to have a goal to work toward, mine is going full time in a few years into making hats full time.

Mike
So does that mean a possible Memphis Mafia meet in Orlando next year!? Lunch at Bongo's Cafe in Downtown Disney?:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925