Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVG Patches

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Stunning work. However I have to wonder what the Chinese would have said if an American airman showed up with the last badge. :p

Most likely Ding Hao! Even today there's a tremendous amount of pride and respect for what the AVG did in China back in the day. From what I gather, the people of China young and old are very well aware of the Flying Tigers as opposed to most of my American generation and younger. They probably couldn't tell you who bombed Peal Harbor.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the only thing I would be careful about would be too-open display of the Republic of China flag, a sensitive symbol in the modern People's Republic of China. The RoC were the nationalists who lost the civil war against Mao, now restricted to de facto sovereignty of Taiwan. As a rule, the Chinese aren't quite as adoring of the US as Japan tends to be, but there's no sense either of them being 'anti-American'. At least in Beijing, where I spend a few weeks a year (and am currently typing from - Hello from the Future, at least twelve hours ahead of most of you!), the popular culture of the young people is very heavily US-influenced, as is globally the case, really. A lot of kids here will wear the US flag in the way I remember it being popular in the UK in the early eighties - not as a political symbol, more a fashion brand of sorts. In the same way as I see US citizens buying Union-flag t shirts on holiday in London, I suppose. I hope maybe next year to stay on for a holiday after one of my teaching trips. I've done this a few times before, but I've yet to travel to the area where the AVG museum is. I'd love to see it - maybe I'll have an AVG repro finished by then and take it with me for some photos.

ETA: The Navy stenciled the letter USN onto the underside of the collars of the jackets they issued, and this is an option on repros I've looked at. My question is whether this would be out of place on a jacket issued to an AVG pilot... (or was this something that was added by the quartermaster's office before issue to an individual pilot, in which case the jackets would have arrived in China without stencils)? Of course, politically speaking as the US at the time were denying any official involvement with the AVG it would make logical sense for it to be absent, but I would have thought it's much more likely to be dictated by where in the production chain it was added...

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Edward, where is this AVG museum placed?
Wife and I am going for a month holiday in China later this year, and I would love to see it

Not sure what is appropriate there but I've got quite a following. They're buying all variations of my AVG and most recently at least three of my Japanese Aerial Victories patches have found their way to China. My partner and I have a translator in China that is very proud to render American names into the pre-1947 Mandarin as well, A very nice guy, I actually had to convince him to be paid.

Navy Jackets were stenciled at the factory and these pilots used the jackets they were issued previous to joining the AVG, not officially being there it is quite possible they removed it. But the earliest M422's had silver and white stenciled USN along with the ANJ-3's depending on manufacturer. Not sure exactly when, but USN was also punched into the zipper wind flaps with small dots.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. I think the punched USN came in post-war with the G1 designated USN jackets, but I can't claim to know that for sure.

Edward, where is this AVG museum placed?
Wife and I am going for a month holiday in China later this year, and I would love to see it

It's in at the Zhijiang Airport in Zhijiang County, Hunan province. Down in the South... by my reckoning, probably an hour or two's flight from Hong Kong.

Nice little article on it here, from no less a source than the China Daily (clearly the museum is "approved"... ;) ):

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-12/19/content_16030413.htm

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Chinese government purchased 442 jackets straight from Willis & Geiger, along with other flight gear, then issued it to the AVG. Some members brought their A2s from the Air Corp, along with their Pinks & Greens. For some reason, Navy and Marine aviators were told not to bring their uniforms, although many brought their peak hats, which they wore with locally purchased bush jackets, which looked really sharp. I do not know if those 442s had the USN stenciled on the collar.

My new improved English / Chinese name tags. I had to grind my own stamping tools using a Dremel and grinding wheel out of mini screwdrivers, heavy duty nails, and stainless steel dental picks. The character lines have some thickness to them now and stand out better.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The Chinese government purchased 442 jackets straight from Willis & Geiger, along with other flight gear, then issued it to the AVG. Some members brought their A2s from the Air Corp, along with their Pinks & Greens. For some reason, Navy and Marine aviators were told not to bring their uniforms, although many brought their peak hats, which they wore with locally purchased bush jackets, which looked really sharp. I do not know if those 442s had the USN stenciled on the collar.

Jackets going straight from the W&G factory (I thought G&F made the AVG jackets[huh]) to China, would not have been stenciled 'USN' on the reverse of the collar- that would have been done by the Navy upon receipt.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Jackets going straight from the W&G factory (I thought G&F made the AVG jackets[huh]) to China, would not have been stenciled 'USN' on the reverse of the collar- that would have been done by the Navy upon receipt.

Non of the original jackets I have seen had USN on them. A couple of Navy Aviators may have brought their own jackets, just like some of the AAC pilots brought their A2s.

Edward

Bartender
Aha!

This project has been on hold for a couple of years owing to funds and time gonig on other things. Reviving it this year, though.... Hope eventually to have photos of the finished article to put up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot