Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B6 - Who makes the best?

Close Shave

New in Town
Despite an ongoing (and, I suspect, ultimately undeniable!) desire to own an ANJ-4, I have decided that a B-6 would be a more wearable jacket.

I like the vegetable-tanned, hand dyed approach of the so-called "redskin" jackets (if for no other reason than I don't like chrome waste from tanneries in the environment!) but I think Eastman and Aero Leather are the only producers.

Am I correct and can anyone offer advice with regard to the two offerings?

Tally Ho - Last one home gets them in!

Close Shave

New in Town
Hi

Thanks; that would be my initial thought based on A2's I have seen; however, sheepskin being a different kettle of fish I thought it worth checking with the community at large!

Shame Aero don't make an ANJ-4!

jake431

Practically Family
In sheepskins, I tend to go RMNZZ; however the Redskin issue might make that impossible. You could ask though.
-Jake

Close Shave

New in Town
But...do RMNZ do "redskin" material? RMNZ need a way better website, too!

And, off on a slight tangent (well, this IS a cocktail lounge..!) where oh where will I get the best ANJ-4? Only ELC and Lost Worlds still seem to make them!

Close Shave

New in Town
Well spotted, that man!

Looks like areally smart piece of work; I'll give them a shout when they get back from hols!

Anyone know why RMNZ stopped making their version?

JWG

Familiar Face
"Best" is subjective. I happen to enjoy my Aero B3. Basically it's what fits/suits you best.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Close Shave said:
Looks like areally smart piece of work; I'll give them a shout when they get back from hols!

Anyone know why RMNZ stopped making their version?

My understanding is that they stopped to market this jacket under "the Few" production which is geared to the Japanese market. They are great jackets but very expensive.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Close Shave said:
And, off on a slight tangent (well, this IS a cocktail lounge..!) where oh where will I get the best ANJ-4? Only ELC and Lost Worlds still seem to make them!

I just noticed flightjacket.com has an ANJ-4. Anyone have an opinion about their quality? k

grant

Familiar Face
Used to own a RMNZ redskin B-6 that was leftover wardrobe from Band of Brothers. It was a beautiful jacket but I found myself reaching for the D-1 or B-10 instead so I sold it a couple years ago.
RMNZB-6.jpg

ldmax

Familiar Face
I have an A2 from US Authentic (flightjacket.com). It is very good quality. Not up to the same standard as the Big Three (Aero, ELC, RMNZ), but far better than a typical mall jacket. Very good quality leather, moderately high quality workmanship, and reasonably correct (not 100% authentic) details. Good choice if you want a nice looking wearable jacket for everyday use.

Regards,

LD

Close Shave

New in Town
Nice Jacket, Grant!

Also nice provenance!

I think maybe now that I live in NZ I should shop local! I have an ELC B2 cap in redskin, which is very nice, I must say - although the pile is definitely shorter than the regulation 0.5" in places.

Better Duck

New in Town
Close Shave said:
RMNZ need a way better website, too!
So true! It is amazing how uniformative and, if I may say so, amateurish their site is. Of course one can say, they put their energy where it should be, i.e. in making perfect replica jackets. But a slightly more professional approach to this modern communication device would certainly benefit both RMNZ and the customers?

Peter

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Better Duck said:
So true! It is amazing how uniformative and, if I may say so, amateurish their site is. Of course one can say, they put their energy where it should be, i.e. in making perfect replica jackets. But slightly more professional approach to this modern communication device would certainly benefit both RMNZ and the customers?

Peter

I agree. Even their paper catalog is ok but not like Buzz Rickson. But they do make great jackets. I think a good web designer could have a better site up and running in a matter of days.

Better Duck

New in Town
grant said:
Used to own a RMNZ redskin B-6 that was leftover wardrobe from Band of Brothers. It was a beautiful jacket but I found myself reaching for the D-1 or B-10 instead so I sold it a couple years ago.

Hi Grant,
Can you tell me why you would rather take the D1 or the B10 than the B6?
I am curious, as I am considering a B6 as well.
Someone asked me what I preferred: a B3 or a Irvin. I have both (ELC's) and, to my own surprise, I wear the B3 all the time in fall and winter, as it sits better on me than the Irvin, underarm gussets and zippered sleeves notwithstanding. As boxy as the B3 is, it still is more comfortable than my Irvin.
So: why the D1 or B10 over the B6?

peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24