Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baby Names? Vintage?

der schneider

One of the Regulars
My wife nixed wolfgang and Vitus and my sister beat me to nicoli when she named my neice nichol. so I adjusted the spelling of my childrens name to suit me and give them a little different twist than most.

And some would say that me and my children are twisted

my son is Marten he always accented the TEN

then there is Lara like Lara's theme in Dr Chivago

and Sofia spelled like the capital or as many europeans would spell it no H.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
my name is katy joanna - my maternal grandmother's name was joan.
my sister is laura emily - parental grandmother was emily, and there are a few laura's back in the family.
my mother's grandmother's names were iris and hazel - aren't those wonderful names?
on my father's side, my great grandmother was christine wenonah - every firstborn daughter of a first born daughter had wenonah for a middle name. i think that's rather neat.
until my sister and i came along, there was an abundance of j's in the family.
my mom, born jennifer jones, parents: jim and joan. emily (not a j) married jim jessee and had jan, judy, jimmy, and my dad - david. my poor dad always felt a bit left out! lol

my husband's name is reuben seth - named for another reuben of an older generation - everyone in their family also has an "s" middle name.... debbie sue, alfred steven, nathan stewart, jeremy steven (who married a cindy sue, and has haley shae, caleb steven, issac sterling) - also, firstborn son of firstborn son has middle name of 'steven'.

i think it's interesting that both mine and my husband's family have the firstborn-firstborn middle name thing, because i don't know of many families who do that. also, the abundance of an initial in both of ours - J for my family, S for his.

if anyone's familiar with 'cold comfort farm', "reuben seth" is interesting, because flora poste says something along the lines of "highly sexed young men living on farms are always called seth or reuben." - and he did grow up on a farm, and his mother loves CCF.... not why he was named that, but i think it's great. :)

we don't have children, and probably never will, but our cats are victor and opal, and our bunny's name is flora.

i've always like older sounding names, i'm not fond of made up names, although i do like unusual (but classic) ones.
i just heard of a girl i know who wants to name her daughter something along the lines of zazlee ?

kyda

One of the Regulars
There were not to many Kylie's around when my Mum picked the name but every man and his dog is now Kylie. My daughters name is Carrissa Belle we have met a few Carrissa's all spelt completely different and my son is Oscar James. We liked the name Oscar and have since discovered that on my dh's side it is an old family name and James is my dh's middle name. We wanted the kids to have our middle names - Carrissa does not have mine since it just did not sound right.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
My son's first name is Barnabas (etymology: 'the (son of the) prophet' "son of consolation" or "son of encouragement" ) is pretty vintage.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We're thinking of naming our son Gregory Judge, and calling him Judge. My great uncle (b.1891) was named Judge.

And if he doesn't like it, he can always go by Greg.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
kyda said:
There were not to many Kylie's around when my Mum picked the name but every man and his dog is now Kylie. My daughters name is Carrissa Belle we have met a few Carrissa's all spelt completely different and my son is Oscar James. We liked the name Oscar and have since discovered that on my dh's side it is an old family name and James is my dh's middle name. We wanted the kids to have our middle names - Carrissa does not have mine since it just did not sound right.

My nephew is an Oscar...actually a fifth generation Richard Oscar. I think the name is gaining popularity but we have used it for a long time. :D

Subvet642

A-List Customer
My wife and I just found out that we'll be having a baby. Some years ago, we decided on a girl's name, Elinor Judith after my mother, and her sister who raised me when I was orphaned at 8 years old. We will call her Sally. I know this seems strange, but there is a family story to this: When my mother was born, my grandmother intended to name her Sarah, of which Sally is a nickname. As she couldn't go to church for whatever reason (I think it had to do with something pre-Vatican II), my grandfather had to take my mother to be baptized. Somewhere between the house and the church, her name changed from Sarah to Elinor, but my grandmother and everyone else stubbornly called her Sally. If we have a boy, we like Éamonn Alexander. Éamonn is Irish for Edmond, which is a family name, as is Alexander.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Miss Caroline said:
My middle name is Shabnam which i've never really liked too much.
Maheen is a name i like, its my aunt's name. And Aryana, also Farrin.
My sister's middle is Shekoufeh.
Boys names,I like Cyrus, which is pronounced Si-roosh and Zartosht.

You are Persian?

Shirin

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
I am
also way fond of Ursula, Lana and Ava. If I have a boy, he will be a Vlad (if I get my way!).

Hey, Lana is my name! I'm so glad you like it. I never did while growing up and I hated people singing the "Lana bana fo fana' song. But now that I'm older I like it quite much, especially since its the name of a lovely actress, Lana Turner.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Last time I went home, my brother and I went through my dad's family history binders and divvied up the family names. I got Winifred and Rowan, he gets Patrick and Howard Daniel (tradition dictates they are ALWAYS together).
I think I got the better end of the deal. Then again, I'm the FIFTH Anne in my family (one in each for the past five generations) so I'm kinda worn out on the "legacy" namesake thing.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Heck,

My name is Dylan Miguel, I was named after Bob Dylan...(my fathers delusional idea).

My parents names are Delia Jean (Dee) and Jorge and my Step-Fathers name is Wayne Allen.

Grandparents names are Ruben Medina and Belen , Martha and Jose Manuel

Great Grandparents are Jose and Consuelo (Conny) i never knew my Fathers grandparents.

My lineage is mostly Hispanic. Mexican, Native American on my mothers side, and Cuban, French, German on my fathers. There are other elasticities under speculation. But its safe to say I am a mutt lol.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
As much as I loved my Grandpa and I love practically everything vintage...I will not name my son Hermann.

But..if you think about it.. a four year old boy who's called Hermann:D

JennyLou

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
Having grown up a Jennifer, I will be one who gives my child a more interesting name. I'm quite fond of my great grandfather's name Anastace for a little girl. However my grandmother's will not be used - Formida. Most others in my family had rather simple earthy names like Frank, Dave, Edward... I am
also way fond of Ursula, Lana and Ava. If I have a boy, he will be a Vlad (if I get my way!).

There was a phase in which I tried desparately to change mine around going from Jenny to Jenna to Genepher... Now it's just Jen. Tired of being one of 1 million Jennifers in the world.

Oh, I know what you mean. Is Jennifer considered a vintage name?
My full name is Jennifer Louise Sison. Louise is the female version of my grandfather's name Louis. My grandmother's name is Josefina and my twin sister is names Josie, my brother is Romeo and my mother is Mary.

I've always wanted to give my future kids vintage names but lately names of Star Trek characters have been catching my eye. Here are a few examples of the names I have on my list.
Girls: Elizabeth (Betty), Dorothy, Nora, Myrna, Daisy, Gwen, B'Elanna, Jadzia, Deanna
Boys: Gilbert, James(Jimmy), Benjamin, Glenn, Leonard, Julian

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My fiance and I have agree to name the first boy Liam, since he's completely enamoured of that name, but the middlename is still be argued. For girls, things are a bit hazier and while I cruelly nixed "Siobhan" we have quite a list: Rhiannon, Esther, Tegan, Penelope, Rowan, Niamh. I am rather fond of Jael as a possible middle name for a girl (Biblical, classic!) but my guy would NEVER agree to it as a first name.

Since we agreed to two kids we should probably have a second boy's name on stand-by but we don't. I'm rather fond of Henry, Harrison, and some Biblical names my guy has banned: Nehemiah, Hezekiah, ("We could call him Zeke," I said, to which he replied "We could call him It's Your Mother's Fault You Sound Like an 1880s Cowboy" :p ) and Elchanon, which I'm still kind of hoping slips in as a middle name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner