Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Kitty - hang in there. See your regular MD if you can. He/She may give you a low dose antibiotic to take for a few weeks/month. I normally have dry skin, and when I was in my late 20s, went through a spurt of having acne along my jawline. Ended up with a low dose antibiotic and something called Cleocin. Within a week, it was all gone. Never had it happen again. Skin is weird. Could be stress, hormones, anything.

Good luck.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'mSuzyParker said:
Kitty - hang in there. See your regular MD if you can. He/She may give you a low dose antibiotic to take for a few weeks/month. I normally have dry skin, and when I was in my late 20s, went through a spurt of having acne along my jawline. Ended up with a low dose antibiotic and something called Cleocin. Within a week, it was all gone. Never had it happen again. Skin is weird. Could be stress, hormones, anything.

Thanks for the tips, Suzy. I'm really hesitant to take antibiotics for anything unless I absolutely have to, though. They're way overprescribed and we end up building tolerance to them, over time reducing their effectiveness. Also, I don't know about you, but most gals get pretty negative side-effects from them, and I'm not sure I'd be able to handle an antibiotic-induced yeast infection for a few weeks/month.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yes, but if it is something like pinkeye, then you use topical antibiotics and they aren't so bad for you. I wouldn't want to mess around with something that close to my eye.

Even if it is only a big pimple, if the doctor drains it, then it can heal faster. I wouldn't want to suffer needlessly myself.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I am so ready for clear skin! I've always had pretty good skin, and then (I remember very clearly) on my 20th birthday I woke up with a huge zit on my chin. That was only the beginning. Since then I've had acne, and it's gotten worse since I had my daughter. I am SICK of it! I've decided I am going to put an end to this no matter what. I will begin at the beginning, the inside. I am drinking more water, and less coffee. I am going to decrease the amount of saturated, and hydrogenated fats in my diet. I will take Alpha Linoleic Acid supplements as well as Centrum Performance or Forte. The Centrum contains Selenium, and Vitamin E - in combination they can treat acne. As well as Zinc, and Vitamin B3 (niacin), which are also supposed to help. I am also working out and sweating, which should help. I'll let you know how it's going in a month.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MarieAnne said:
I am going to decrease the amount of saturated, and hydrogenated fats in my diet. I will take Alpha Linoleic Acid supplements as well as Centrum Performance or Forte. The Centrum contains Selenium, and Vitamin E - in combination they can treat acne. As well as Zinc, and Vitamin B3 (niacin), which are also supposed to help. I am also working out and sweating, which should help. I'll let you know how it's going in a month.

Actually, there's no scientific proof that fat in your diet affects acne. Also, sweating doesn't really help at all, you should be extremely careful to wash acne prone areas *immediately* after you work out.

I'm all about Proactiv. It seriously cleared up my skin in about 2 weeks, with a noted improvement within days.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont know...
Out of craving, I started eating a couple oranges a day.
That was two weeks ago, my skin hasnt been this clear in months!

LD

MarieAnne

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Actually, there's no scientific proof that fat in your diet affects acne. Also, sweating doesn't really help at all, you should be extremely careful to wash acne prone areas *immediately* after you work out.

I'm all about Proactiv. It seriously cleared up my skin in about 2 weeks, with a noted improvement within days.

Thanks for all your advice. I know there isn't much scientific proof. Some articles (non-scientific) say yes, others no, all depending on what they are selling. I'm just trying to get to the root of the problem and fix it from the inside, if that's possible. I think proper nutrition and exercise is the place to start; I know it can't hurt.

I've heard really good things about Proactiv and lot's of my friends swear by it. I'd definitely consider trying it; with their money back garantee, you can't loose.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
From my experience, acne can't really be fixed with creams, washes and so forth.

The right food probably does give you better skin, but I don't know if it helps acne. My own experience says that there is a connection. If I eat chips my skin usually breaks out, and on wikipedia it says: "The long-held belief that there is no link between diets high in refined sugars and processed foods and acne has recently been challenged." They refer to this article: Keri JE, Nijhawan RI (2008). "Diet and acne". Expert Rev Dermatol 3 (4): 437–440

Often, acne can be caused by something hormonal. Have you noticed that if you have acne-prone skin, you often break out when you get your period? Also, I got an outbreak of acne some years ago and took brith control pills containing anti-androgens. It really helped, I guess I was overproducing male hormones and the pills regulated that.

MarieAnne, especially if you say that it got worse after you had kids, it could very well be hormonal changes. I would see a skin doctor.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i have acne now that I have had my kids.
I am just waiting it out until I wean my youngest from the booju.
although, It is really annoying, my poor jawline and chin :(:rolleyes:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely hormonal...

As I am a lady of a certain age, I now have a totally different kind of acne. I thought it was supposed to go away, not just change! But with the nice part of menopause, comes other challenges.

But I do have another new tip - if, like me, one zit leads to another and becomes a spreading plague due to the bacteria, try this which I learned out of desperation this week:

Purell, or other brands of the anti-bacterial instant hand wash, works wonders! It is mostly ethyl alcohol, with some added moisturizers and they claim aloe vera. And it has cleared up this massive breakout area in a few days.

Normally I would never put alcohol on my face, as it would be too strong and drying, but this doesn't dry the surrounding skin, yet does dry up the zits! Hallelujah.

It's a miracle.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Laura - I'm pretty sure my acne is hormonal. I have used Diane-35 with wonderful results. I just can't afford it right now. I found this website which I find interesting, http://www.absoluteacneinfo.com/. The problem with these websites is you don't know where they are getting their information [huh] . I have thought of seeing a doctor but I haven't had the time. I also don't have a family doctor so I'm pretty sure they'll just give me a prescription and be done with me.

exquisitebones - I totally know the feeling. It's hard to treat acne when you are pregnant and breastfeeding. I hate that I don't want to have my picture taken, even when it's with my baby girl sleeping in my arms, or pulling on my hair. I should be documenting every precious second. Hopefully your acne will disappear when you wean your little one.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Laura - I'm pretty sure my acne is hormonal. I have used Diane-35 with wonderful results. I just can't afford it right now. I found this website which I find interesting, http://www.absoluteacneinfo.com/. The problem with these websites is you don't know where they are getting their information [huh] . I have thought of seeing a doctor but I haven't had the time. I also don't have a family doctor so I'm pretty sure they'll just give me a prescription and be done with me.

The pills I took were called Diane Mite, I think it's the same ones as Diane-35, just different names. They worked wonders, I took them for 9 months or so. Over here they cost around $35 for three months, do they cost more in the US?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Laura - I'm actually in Canada. My Ortho Tri-Cyclen cost 27CAD for three months, and the Diane-35 was 72CAD for three months.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Laura - I'm actually in Canada. My Ortho Tri-Cyclen cost 27CAD for three months, and the Diane-35 was 72CAD for three months.

I'm sorry, I didn't even see you are from Ontario. :eek: But I guess stuff like Proactiv can easily get just as expensive as the Diane-35. Let us know if changing your diet helps. :)

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
After I got my wisdom teeth taken out, I started up my meds again and am breaking out like crazy because of them. It's now under control a little more and learned that babying my skin helps-a lot.

What did wonders also were these face pads I got at Trader Joes with the green tea and witch hazel formula.

THe most trouble I have with my face are blackheads. Zits are easy to get rid of compared to these. :rage:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Venting:
I am so SAD that I no longer have clear skin.. sigh.. its all gone.. out the bucket gone..:rage: :rage:

I am soo upset.. and I know its hormonal.. cause it deadly on the chin.. and there is NOTHING that is making it happy.. I have tried every daily moisturizer from the store.. and NOTHING.. it makes it worse by the end of the day and I just dont know what to do anymore..
I am on the Nuva Ring.. and I have never had a break out like this.. so Im thinking my body is going through something real Big right now.. and I cant Do anything about it.

Ohhhhh this sucks..

I use the cold cream with a warm washcloth and my skin seems to like that.. but its the moisturizer that it making my face soooo angry.. even the Gentle of the gentle is not making my face happy..
Ohh.. and non of the acne creams are working either..

is there any hope? :( :(

Ok.,.. im done now.. LOL

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LelaViavonie said:
V
is there any hope? :( :(

Yes, Proactive. At the very least, try one of their oil-free moisturizers. They make the dry part of my combination skin happy without upsetting the oilier parts.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I've had bad skin continually since I was about 13. It's changed form over the years alot, but now I seem to finally be clearing up the remaining few pimples using a regime of purpose face wash, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, and purpose moisturizer at morning and night. Hopefully it will continue clearing up!

But I have a question. Especially when I was younger (though I'm guity of doing it now too) I had a bad habit of popping pimples. I have scarring (looks like big pores) and also some spots that look like there is a red or dark spot under my skin. It's not acne anymore I don't think. Does anyone know any thing that will get rid of this? I would probably wait til my skin clears a bit more before trying anything.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lau Mo said:
some spots that look like there is a red or dark spot under my skin. It's not acne anymore I don't think. Does anyone know any thing that will get rid of this? I would probably wait til my skin clears a bit more before trying anything.

It's called hyperpigmentation. There are creams that SUPPOSEDLY help fade it, but I'm not sure of their effectiveness and they usually state that you have to use them for 3 months or more before seeing any results. Usually these creams have vitamin K or more commonly, Hydroquinone, in them. If you find anything that works, let me know :-/

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I think that that is the most annoying thing with acne products...you have to wait months, and it might not even work! I'll try to find some cream and I'll certainly let you know if it works. I have had some people suggest a peel, but I feel like that might be too harsh and make the problem worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW