Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Cheers girls!

What on earth is Crest? Is that what you put in your sandwiches? :eek:

My skin has got bad just recently - I think it is more diet than anything (which I am trying to improve!) and drinking lots of water, but just wanted something to treat the real nasty buggers. Someone told me toothpaste at work!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
landgirl said:
Cheers girls!

What on earth is Crest? Is that what you put in your sandwiches? :eek:

My skin has got bad just recently - I think it is more diet than anything (which I am trying to improve!) and drinking lots of water, but just wanted something to treat the real nasty buggers. Someone told me toothpaste at work!

Crest is a toothpaste here in the States.

I prefer some salisic acid or benzoil peroxide cream right on the spot myself.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It starts with good diet. I avoid eating a lot of grains and instead eat mostly fish, eggs, and produce. I also take skin vitamins. I've found the diet to be about as effective as prescription treatments I've used.

Although a person cannot always control it, stress is a big factor in getting pimples.

I also use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle anti blemish cream, Neutrogena green concealer stick (it has salicylic acid) and Queen Helene mint julep mask (it's made of clay) to apply to big pimples.

If you are a popper, get a tool that is a small bar with loops on the end. It does less damage than your fingernails.

Several weeks ago, I had a pimple inside my nose. The concealer stick helped it go away.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Use plain toothpaste, not gel. The idea is to draw the moisture out of the pimple. A dab of clay mask will do the same thing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Drink lots of water! You need to flush yourself out.
I've been using proactive solution and have had really great results with it. But using it alone doesn't help me that much since I have food allergies as well. Since getting off gluten (which is anything containing wheat, barely and rye), I have noticed dramatic results.
Something else you may want to try is this: get a hot damp washcloth and put it on the pimple for a few minutes...the pimple should become a whitehead after a bit...pop it.
I find masks work great as well.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I second the witch hazel tip, and I also occasionally use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask as a spot treatment. It has sulfur in it along with the clay, which helps heal any skin troubles.

However, I also second the "less is more" approach. I suffered with terrible skin for years until I discontinued nearly every product I was using in favor of cold cream. I do find that, for me at least, cold cream helps heal any blemishes fairly quickly.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroModelSari said:
I use honey that I put on my face for 10-15 minutes and the pimples improve in a positive way rather quick. I feel they are better the moment I take the honey off.

Honey?!
The delicious kind?

LD

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Hi ladies,

This is my first post in the Powder Room. It's nice to join you.

I agree with the sulfur mask tip, insofar as the active ingredient is sulfur. I had moderate acne throughout my late teens, and the only thing I've found that works reliably as a preventive measure is sulfur soap. Unsurprisingly it smells a bit of sulfur, but it doesn't linger on the skin.

For a stubborn pimple, I use benzoyl peroxide cream to spot treat. Drinking plenty of water is also essential.

I hope you find something that works!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I second the witch hazel tip, and I also occasionally use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask as a spot treatment. It has sulfur in it along with the clay, which helps heal any skin troubles.

However, I also second the "less is more" approach. I suffered with terrible skin for years until I discontinued nearly every product I was using in favor of cold cream. I do find that, for me at least, cold cream helps heal any blemishes fairly quickly.

What do you use to take your makeup off?
And this cold cream, I have seen a few posts about it. What is it and wear do you get it from? Is it like the besame face cream or something else?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
You can buy cold cream from Boots - it'll be near the Nivea creme and Astral. You can get Ponds or Boots own brand, which comes in a very cute tub. I have found it's been really good for my skin, which is naturally pretty oily.

I broke out horrendously about 2 years ago when I tried to come off the pill. My skin has never really been the same since. I finally completely got rid of all the niggling little patches using the www.acne.org regime (though not as hardcore as he recommends). I actually came off the pill again just this weekend, and I am using the stuff I bought for the regime again, but only once a day, and so far, nothing *fingers crossed*. I use "Panoxyl", which cost about 2 quid! It's great! I got it from Superdrug, behind the counter. I do use it sparingly as I find it can be stingy and make my face red if I use too much. But it works wonders for spots!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Cheers Fleur!

I have such sensitive skin that I think that acne regime would dry me out too much. I have a funny skin really, super sensitive but I get spots as well. They are mainly localised on my chin at the moment :(
I have tried so many products, from Dermalogical to Clinque and now I am using something called Akmicare which leaves my skin too dry. I am going to get some of that Boots Cold Cream - I since found the old thread on here about Cold Cream and saw the photo of it that you submitted so I am going to get some - and also some distilled Witch Hazel and Rose Water - hopefully that will help too.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi Landgirl!
It depends how sensitive your skin is as to what you can get away with using, I personally find over the counter or prescription spot preparations way too harsh as most of them will remove several layers of your skin!!!
The best thing is to eat well, get plenty of fresh air etc.
Your skin sounds a bit like mine, I use Khiel's Gentle Foaming Face Wash that doesn't dry out your skin and is just wonderful!

I had bad spots (not acne) when I was a teenager and I have to say, like the other ladies here that the more I used the worse it got.

One Avon product I used that was marketed as a mild antibacterial face wash actually removed all the skin on my face!! It went bright red and tight then peeled off over the next week (puts me in mind of the kind of chemical peels that people pay hundreds of pounds for these days!!!!)

Nowadays I rarely suffer at all, I get the occasional pimple here and there and I always do the same thing.......eat lots of greens, drink lots of water and use some witch hazel.

If I ever get a painful spot I rub a small piece of cut garlic on it and it vanishes overnight!!! (that's a tip I learned from a friend a while back, have to make sure that you do it at night though otherwise you may be a bit whiffy!!;))

By the way we have Crest toothpaste here in the UK just incase you were wanting to give that a try.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
AllaboutEve said:
If I ever get a painful spot I rub a small piece of cut garlic on it and it vanishes overnight!!! (that's a tip I learned from a friend a while back, have to make sure that you do it at night though otherwise you may be a bit whiffy!!;))

Thanks for that tip AllaboutEve!

I called my other half earlier and asked him to nip into Boots on the way home for some Cold Cream and Witch Hazel - I think I will give that a go for a week and see what happens. My nan once told me that she didn't know anyone that had spots when she was a young women, I guess if that is true then it just goes to show that none of the modern day products are worth it - I know diet has changed massively also. Maybe I should get my pinny on and buy a WWII cook book - may be I will loose a little bit of weight too!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
landgirl said:
Thanks for that tip AllaboutEve!

I called my other half earlier and asked him to nip into Boots on the way home for some Cold Cream and Witch Hazel - I think I will give that a go for a week and see what happens. My nan once told me that she didn't know anyone that had spots when she was a young women, I guess if that is true then it just goes to show that none of the modern day products are worth it - I know diet has changed massively also. Maybe I should get my pinny on and buy a WWII cook book - may be I will loose a little bit of weight too!

You know I have been thinking of buying a vintage pinny and trying out the WWII cook book thing recently, I don't know what my other half would say to coming home to powdered egg but I bet it would be a lot of fun! Good luck with the Cold Cream and do let us know how you get along with it. I have never tried it and would greatly appreciate a review. I didn't know that Boots did their own version.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
AllaboutEve said:
You know I have been thinking of buying a vintage pinny and trying out the WWII cook book thing recently, I don't know what my other half would say to coming home to powdered egg but I bet it would be a lot of fun! Good luck with the Cold Cream and do let us know how you get along with it. I have never tried it and would greatly appreciate a review. I didn't know that Boots did their own version.

Search 'Cold Cream' in the Powder Room and there is a thread about How To Use it - have a read (if you haven't already) as there are lots of good reviews on Cold Cream! I am currently spending £20 for a dermalogica cleanser, so if the Cold Cream works - I am going to make a mint! ;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
The Boots traditional skin care range does a rose water and glycerin toner, should be in the same place if you want to try that as well. I use it only in conjucntion with the harsh spot stuff as I find it leaves a slight layer of something on there, which makes me greasier normally, but counteracts the harsh stuff. I use witch hazel to get the rest of the cold cream off, it's super cheap and smells lovely!

On the subject of toothpaste for spots, the thing that does the drying out is called Triclosan. It's not in all toothpastes, so it might not work unless you have one containing it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany