Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Exchange Rate

rrog

A-List Customer
I haven't bought an Akubra in a while, so I was looking at HD's and EA's web sites for comparisons and pricing. Wow. The exchange rate that was once really favorable for the U.S. has taken a nose dive. I got my last Akubra in December '08, but if I recall the prices correctly, there's been about a $25 shift in the wrong direction. Wonder if there will be a shift back in our favor anytime soon?

rrog

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
rrog said:
Wonder if there will be a shift back in our favor anytime soon?

shakeshead

graph120.png

Goose.

Practically Family
Hi rrog...

The exchange rate was a significant reason I went nuts buying my Akubra hats from Hats Direct back in Q1'09. Gettin' 'em while they were hot.

Now, it's so close 0.81:1 that there's no significant advanatge once you tack on internationa shipping. Still a decent value, but nothing like just a few months ago where it has been as low as 0.60:1. Heck, that was almost fifty cents to the dollar.

Lot of sites on the web where folks speculate on exchange rates. But that's just what it is; "speculate".

Anyway, here's a chart with the trend:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AUDUSD=X

EDIT Note: Tomaso was posting when I was typing...so now you can see his cahrt in the post (obviously).
Went back to check the 5 year trend...the best was indeed Q1'09: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AUDUSD=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Exchange rates good for customer, good for Akubra, good for Australia, BAD for USA. Remember a strong economy depends on people outside of your country buying your stuff. This is why I think USA lifting the embargo on Cuba would help the US economy. They are stuck in 1962, I am sure they are all dying to get there hands on a brand new Chevy and a i-pod.

My two cents worth.

Johnny

Duper

Practically Family
I just noticed Noggintops has a sale on on some Akubra models. Not sure if it helps, but I thought I would pass it along. The shipping costs sure would be cheaper.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The `financial crisis` of late last year hit the `commodity currencies` like the AUD very hard. It has bounced back quite a lot. That was a very unusual event due to panic etc. and it is unlikely you will see the AUD return to those levels. The Aussie economy is holding in well, and may benefit from an upturn in commodity demend again. Press `add to cart` and check out before it gets more expensive...;)

dr greg

One Too Many
oh boo hoo

So what about the other point of view? A high AUD means it's now more affordable for us here to buy USA products which I for one virtually stopped doing since the Wall Street moneyrapers dumped our currency a while back and it hurtled south even though there were very few structural deficiencies here to deserve such a sellout, but as we all know, logic and commonsense are in short supply in speculative marketplaces.
As the ozbuck goes up again I can consider looking at buying stuff from the US once more, and I think that's what you need over there at the moment if I'm not mistaken?:)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
ditto!

I'm with dr greg (for obvious reasons) but you guys are still getting the best of it. With the AUD at around .80 USD you're still getting a 20% discount right!

At this level it does take the sting out of buying online for us but is not so high as to drastically effect our own exports. .75-.80 USD seems to be a pretty happy medium.

Although the lower it is, the more of your movies we get to make! ;)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Even during the period where it was very favorable, I was still buying Akubras and all other hats from retailers here in the US of A! [huh]

I'm cool like that. lol

High Pockets

Practically Family
I just ordered another one from Hats Direct. The rate might not be as good as it once was,....(what is?), but for a little over a hundred bucks I just got a really decent hat.:)

Akubra

Familiar Face
Exchange rate or not I have found Akubra hats to be of exceptional value.

I will continue to buy them.

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep. Sure, it's been a opportunity for US buyers. Still, regardless of the exchange rate, I will still buy Akubra. That Campdraft Silverbelly is on my bucket list.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing to consider ...If you are going to use your credit card to purchase from the Europe or Austarlia or actually any overseas locale there may be a 3% exchange rate charge. :eek: I use PayPal for that reason. :p

Call your credit card issuer to check their policy. :beer:

High Pockets

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Yep. Sure, it's been a opportunity for US buyers. Still, regardless of the exchange rate, I will still buy Akubra. That Campdraft Silverbelly is on my bucket list.
Hi Goose,......that's the one I just pulled the trigger on,...been looking at photos of it posted by everyone here and couldn't stand it anymore!!lol

babs

A-List Customer
In terms of pricing.
If you're following the ebay (in my case "defeats") thread... I'm now very sick.. I thought I had that squatter as good as done. Got the 5-second-till-close beat down. :(
I can only hope I'll be over the agony of defeat in the morning.
Woe is me.. I thought I could actually budget for a nice one.
Oh the pain!
hehehe Dang it! #$%#$%@^&!!!

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
I'm with dr greg (for obvious reasons) but you guys are still getting the best of it.
Yep, about time the exchange rate evened out!

I buy a lot of stuff in from the states, but haven't been able to for the last year or so due to how weak the NZ dollar had become. 50c to the US dollar is a complete rip off, here's hoping it gets back up to .81c! :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
So this change in exchange rates makes dealing with Everything Australian even more of a great buy:

They have held their base prices down (popular hats like the Snowy River and Cattleman are still only $90 Australian, which doesn't seem to be the case with the other dealers) and their shipping is a bargain. Sure, they don't carry all the fedora styles, and you have to wait three months for many models that are in stock elsewhere - but you can still get a Campdraft or Stylemaster (or Stockman, Cattleman, etc.) for $73 + $17 shipping... $90 US!

(Hey, order now and get one in time for the colder weather!)

Sure, this is about $20-30 more than I paid for my Akubras over the last few years, but with domestic Stetsons like the Temple running around $150, there's hardly cause to complain yet!

High Pockets

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
but you can still get a Campdraft or Stylemaster (or Stockman, Cattleman, etc.) for $73 + $17 shipping... $90 US!

I ordered a Campdraft just last night, (in stock:) ), and with shipping I think it came to $102 US.

Still a bargain!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace