Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad repro looks

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Which elements from this photo do you see that postdate the late 1950s?

While ht shirt might be period, it probably isn't. But to my eye, no man of his station would have ever worn one so oversized and baggy. Strictly 90s 50s "daddyo" look.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
the wethead is dead

LizzieMaine said:
M*A*S*H, both the TV and movie versions. I realize it was all a Vietnam analogy, but seriously -- did anyone in the cast *ever* try to look even remotely of-the-period? Maybe Col. Potter's horse.

It seems to me a lot of that was the culture of the `70s. No one wanted short buzzcut greased hair anymore. So many of the actors were resistant to maintaining that look in period tv shows.
There was a commercial slogan back then: The Wethead is DEAD, long live the Dry Look.
A good example is the cast of Happy Days. When the show initially aired, they had authentic short haircuts...& hated them. As the show went on, they drifted to blowdried hairstyles.

Does anyone remember this Pre-Happy Days movie aboutthe `50s?
3150389825_7411956b42.jpg

Stallone & Winkler in The Lords of Flatbush

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Does anyone remember this Pre-Happy Days movie aboutthe `50s?
3150389825_7411956b42.jpg

Stallone & Winkler in The Lords of Flatbush

I don't remember that one - But I do seem to remember American Graffiti, which wasn't a very good repro either, aside from the music and cars lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Grease

this is the one that always made me laugh. Olivia Newton John's bad girl costume for the final scenes of GREASE.
3347674035_864476e3aa.jpg

2902396792_5160f1c849.jpg

I recall within a year or saw, the girls attending highschool dances stopped wearing dresses & showed up in spandex.

Its hardly period, but it sure did work up the crowds!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I recently read (or maybe heard it on the DVD special features) that Ginger Rogers reportedly refused to have her hair bobbed [correctly] for "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle"...

Torpedo said:
Hi,

At least in some cases, a given actor will not allow for his hair to get the proper cut.

I read that Robert Redford did such a thing when asked to have his hair cut in a minimally credible WW2 style, for his role of Maj. Julian Cook in A Bridge Too Far. This is probably common, and surely more in the past, when such standards were not much enforced.

Of course, as mentioned, many cinematographers are not specially keen with such details anyway, and will not bother. Hey, it has been plenty demonstrated that this (and dress accuracy, or historical accuracy, in general) is not a point that will really, significantly, influence audiences, and may well be ignored even by supposedly more knowledgeable people. Braveheart was immensely lousy in that respect, but this did not prevent the film from winning an Oscar for the wardrobe... :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
MrBern said:
this is the one that always made me laugh. Olivia Newton John's bad girl costume for the final scenes of GREASE.
3347674035_864476e3aa.jpg

2902396792_5160f1c849.jpg

I recall within a year or saw, the girls attending highschool dances stopped wearing dresses & showed up in spandex.

Its hardly period, but it sure did work up the crowds!

Those leggings were so tight as they had seed her into them - she wasn't able to go to the toilet for the duration of that shoot!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I think you must have meant SEWED her into them, not SEED her into them dear Edward..

Anywhoo, she looked dumb in this outfit...

Edward said:
Those leggings were so tight as they had seed her into them - she wasn't able to go to the toilet for the duration of that shoot!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Is that meant to be a 1920s suit Robert Redford is wearing? Yeah right.

This from the movie The Great Gatsby" 1974

Was it too hard to copy a 1925 suit?

Yes, it was! Why? Who knows why.... [huh]

gatsby.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is nothing worse than Harrison Ford's hair in 'Hanover Street'.
He refused to cut his hair and it looked ridiculous in both the U.S.A.A.F.
uniform and hat as well at the later German uniform and hat he donned.
I'll try and find a photo! (Photo found!) And besides, the 8th didn't fly
Mitchell's out of England in the ETO!...so there!

hanover09.jpg

-dixon cannon

Edward

Bartender
chanteuseCarey said:
I think you must have meant SEWED her into them, not SEED her into them dear Edward..

oops.....! :eusa_doh:

Anywhoo, she looked dumb in this outfit...

It was a bit..... Kylie. Pre-Kylie, obviously. But still.....

I always preferred Rizzo, myself. ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
Allthough one of my alltime favourits - there was something deffinately 60's over Michael Cain's hairstyle.
Who cares?! Its Michael Caine! :D

This one really belongs in another thread, called Bad, Bad Repros:

More-American-Graffiti.jpg

Check out Cunningham's side part!

SwingKid7

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
M*A*S*H, both the TV and movie versions. I realize it was all a Vietnam analogy, but seriously -- did anyone in the cast *ever* try to look even remotely of-the-period? Maybe Col. Potter's horse.

I think MASH was set during the Korean War, regardless......yeh Major
Houlihan (no idea how to spell that) was definately sportin 70s hair

Edward

Bartender
SwingKid7 said:
I think MASH was set during the Korean War, regardless......yeh Major
Houlihan (no idea how to spell that) was definately sportin 70s hair

To quote Mr Duck, in Alex Garland's The Beach:

"It was set in Korea, but it was about Vietnam."

klind65

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Good News, based in 1927 though the dresses and womens' hair is right out of 1947
2.jpg
Yep, this was the one I was thinking of. I saw it recently and kept wondering why the producers had not taken the trouble to be period accurate in representing the 20's! It took away from my enjoyment of it, I daresay. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace