Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Darhling said:
lol lol lol sorry for the mistake, but when english isn't my native tongue, I do tend to make a few mistakes. As long as you understood what I meant then it's all good!

M'dear, that's no mistake. You've simply coined a new term that I as well as a prior poster have adopted as a wondrous new term!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
A trip to The Pit in Raleigh over the weekend (where the Boston Derby Dames took down Carolina Rollergirls on their own turf at the Eastern Regional Tournament) proved to me that while Carolina may not be superior in the derby world, it sure is in the barbeque world. Good lord, I don't think I could ever get enough of that vinegar-based barbeque! It is most definitely FAR superior!

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I marinate my steaks for a week before a planned event. They are usually a pretty big hit. :D
I use an old Big Boy Marinade recipe with salad oil, garlic, soy, red wine(they say vinegar---I say wine), lemon juice, hickory smoke, dry mustard and a few other ingredients that I can't remember. [huh] :D
Share your cocktail recipes but not your marinade??? :p ;)

Some of my cocktail recipes have been marinades...:eek:

Boodles

A-List Customer
Another place in NC

Another good (to me) BBQ house in NC, which is probably off the regular beat of Mr Finch, but kind of headed in the direction of Mr. Big's the neck-o-the-wood, is Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC, right on US 74. Like Wilbur's, down east, this place still uses wood smoked. Most excellent.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
KittyT said:
A trip to The Pit in Raleigh over the weekend (where the Boston Derby Dames took down Carolina Rollergirls on their own turf at the Eastern Regional Tournament) proved to me that while Carolina may not be superior in the derby world, it sure is in the barbeque world. Good lord, I don't think I could ever get enough of that vinegar-based barbeque! It is most definitely FAR superior!

We share the same tastes: I, too, went to NC, but for a different reason: as a member of the 5th New-Hampshire Vols., a reenactment company. We were on our way to....well, all I'll say is "we beat the locals, too." But...that's the one time I was in the state; it was a good 20 years ago; I can STILL taste how good that barbecue was; and I SURE WISH I HAD SOME OF IT RIGHT NOW.

BTW: :eek:fftopic: How's your shooting coming?

"Skeet"

geckoheart

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]We share the same tastes: I, too, went to NC, but for a different reason: as a member of the 5th New-Hampshire Vols., a reenactment company. We were on our way to....well, all I'll say is "we beat the locals, too." But...that's the one time I was in the state; it was a good 20 years ago; I can STILL taste how good that barbecue was; and I SURE WISH I HAD SOME OF IT RIGHT NOW.

BTW: :eek:fftopic: How's your shooting coming?

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

I had the opportunity to eat at The Pit a few weeks ago. The BBQ is good, but the ribs and fried chicken are incredible. Had the 3 meat combo with Mac n' cheese....I'm hungry again.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
An American mate who lives here cooked bbq ribs for the first time for us a month or so back. Absolutely beautiful, they had this thing called a mop sauce with it and had apparently taken over 6 hours to prepare. The meat was falling off the bone and had a stunning flavour. He served them with mash and this US style baked beans thing. Very different from the traditional Kiwi or Aussie barbie but absolutely delicious.

cptjeff

Practically Family
If you're interested in trying NC barbecue, here's a site to take a look at.

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

If you're ever in Greensboro, stop by Stameys. They started out in 1930, still make their own charcoal, so on and so forth. Their prices are still stuck in an older time too- a little under $5 for a standard plate, $5.50 for a large one. Some of the best Barbecue anywhere. Mix the slaw in with the pork, add a little of the table sauce (they have one sauce for the kitchen and one to add to taste at the table), and you're in heaven.

Come to think of it, I need to have some sent up. The stuff up here just doesn't cut it.

geckoheart

Familiar Face
Here's a whole hog I did for a competition on Oct 3rd. We finished in 9th place...very happy for my 3rd competition. A lot more to learn.
Pigson09.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
This past weekend we hosted an annual gathering of our friends. I made the side dishes and breads (3 loaves of sourdough, 1 loaf beer & butter bread, and 1 loaf sweet potato cornbread) and my husband smoked two large beef briskets, a ham, and several pounds of sausage. We make our own dry rub and barbecue sauce, smoked everything with mesquite. Delicious is not the word... lol

HatRak

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
I didn't have them over there but I've had lamb sweetbreads back home. I've had "mountain oysters" as well :eek:

Best way to serve "mountain oysters" is in a little recipe we call "bull in a hot tub." Grind like hamburger, stuff into half a jalapeno, grill over medium coals until done.

HatRak

Familiar Face
rkwilker said:
As a native North Carolina Q consumer from way back I can vouch that there is none better than NC eastern style vinegar based Q found in places like Wilber's (Goldsboro), or Parker's (Wilson), or any other number of small out of the way Q shacks around the eastern part of our state. Wood smoked pork shoulders chopped and infused with that vinegar Q sauce. Unique Q that is only found in a certain part of our state. Yummo!

Here's another vote for Parkers! Especially their original site off 301 in Wilson. You roll in, sit down, and the first words out of the waiters mouth are: "Ya'll need a men-you?" Of course not, I'll take the large barbeque plate--a pile of pulled pork, slaw on the side, and corn sticks that alone are worth the trip. (The BBQ dinner adds fried chicken). In less than three minutes, you're eating!

I'm kinda new around here, and I joined the FL for the hats, but I find myself spending way more time talking about food! Ya'll are killing my diet!

hookhandlady

New in Town
Mmmm....

so good to hear people talk about real smoked bbq. Out in here in SoCal there seems to be a very small amount of decent real bbq. In fact, I have been so starved for bbq that my fiance got my a smoker for my birthday a couple of years back! I've been following the Prof Wiviott instructions and they work tremendously well:
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/
Has anyone else tried them?
Also, that whole hog looks amazing, I wish I could eat it!!!!

At home I like to do Texas style beef ribs using the method I saw on Americas Test Kitchen.

In the Southern California area we have a good number of BBQ places and each of the medium cities as well as some backwater areas have either an established joint or a recent addition. In the San Fernando Valley, Doctor Hoggly Woggly's (Spelling) is awesome. Down in the Torrance area Duck's or is it Doc's, is really good. The chain Lucille's is ok but all of their sauces are too sweet for my tastes. Here in Covina the place A Taste of Texas has really good brisket.

A good friend has a smoker and his stuff is really good. It's fun to discuss the smoke ring in the meat while chowing down!

jwalls

Vendor
Young's Barbeque Carrollton,Ga. Closed since Mr. Arttie passed away I think. I miss the place every time I want a plate of chopped pork.:( :( :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo