• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

BARBISIO Brothers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by daizawaguy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Call Me a Cab

Post your Barbisio hats here>

Let me start...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nice....

I like that little accent/logo on the bow. :eusa_clap

3. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

My only B'sio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the softest felt around though I know nothing about the hat or the brand. Any ideas as to age?

4. EVEN-STEVEN

EVEN-STEVEN One of the Regulars

SoCal
    One Furry, One Not

Furry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not
    [​IMG]

5. My first and (so far) only Barbisio. It's currently my #1 favorite hat. I lightened the photos a bit to show the detail - it's actually midnight blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Does anyone know if they are all predominantly nutria?

7. Mine is definitely male.

8. Interesting, does the back of your neck itch?

9. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

More Barbisios

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black Fedora/Robin Hood Hybrid Moderately Hare-y
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Light Gray Satin Hare w/Dk Brown Ribbon recently shown in new hats

10. besdor

besdor Vendor/Sponsor

Barbisio hats

When looking for Barbisio's , you need to make sure which one you are getting especially if they are modern made. There are two companies that have the license today. one is in Biella Italy, the other in Columbia SA. The easiest way to tell on the modern ones is on the leather sweatband. The Columbian ones cant print made in Ialy . Their quality is very good but they dont have the finese of the Cervo made ones.

Steven
    www.bencrafthats.com

11. My lone Barbisio.
    [​IMG]

12. Max Grody

Max Grody New in Town

I purchased this hat in 1996 in Burbank at a hatter on Burbank Blvd. The owner/keeper said the hat was old-old stock, and it was my first real hat. The color did nothing for me and I packed it way until last year. When I found it, I realized it was quite good and fits my suits and face these days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll take a stab--it was made in the early 80's before Barbisio closed or was sold off. It's a very good hat, and I'm extremely happy with it.

13. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. besdor

besdor Vendor/Sponsor

Hi Max,
    Your Barbisio was made in Columbia SA . The easiest way to tell the difference between the Italian and the south American hats is on the leather. The hats made in Columbia do not say "Made in Italy" . Not that they arent good hats, the quality on them is quite good. We sell them still in our stores .

Steven
    www.bencrafthats.com

15. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

Only One I Have.......

"So far".......:D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. besdor

besdor Vendor/Sponsor

Hi Bolthead,
    Your hat was made in the USA by Bollman about 20 years ago . They had the license to make Barbisio hats here for a while.

Steven
    www.bencrafthats.com

17. Visigoth

Visigoth A-List Customer

Italian or South American?

Okay, I've inherited Rick's Barbisio (photo above); it's really lovely. The felt is certainly as nice as the Bulgarian Borsalinos. My first thought was that it's a later-period Barbisio from the Sagliano Micca factory; having read this, however, I'm wondering whether it's one of the South American hats.

The liner and sweatband are precisely the same as Max Grody's hat, above: it doesn't say "made in Italy," but below the logo it say "Sagliano - 1862 - Italia." The sweatband doesn't seem to be the same quality as the Italian hats I've owned: the black leather is soft, but the stamp is poorly applied, and the sewing is a notch less refined. Also, the bow in the ribbon is sewn a bit haphazardly.

HOWEVER: inside the sweatband is a paper sticker that looks exactly the same as the ones in the Italian hats. It says "Sagliano Micca Italia," and the color of the hat -- hand-written -- is "tritone." Which is an *Italian* word (meaning triton). The size is given on a fabric tag as 7 1/4, but a paper tag under the sweatband also says 58 and 5 1/2. (I've never seen that last designation on anything but vintage European hats.)

Thoughts?

(I can't find any information about the Colombian factory on the web -- it's never mentioned. Barbisio is said to have *exported* lots of hats to South America, but they've hidden the fact that they make them there.)

18. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

I have seen a Colombian website for hats...maybe they make them too?[huh]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Parabuntal or Balibuntal? More Pix needed of this beauty IMHO.

19. Mislabled on e-bay

[​IMG]

$9.99. Listed as 24+". Turned out to be a 7 1/8 mint. My wife looks great in it. The quest for mine continues.

[​IMG]

20. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Italian made, bulgarian sold, french language, nutria felt barbisio.

Barbisio- casa fondata nel 1862 - Sagliano Micca Italia

Rat-Gondin (Nutria)

Importe d'Italie

Franz Cervenka - Maitre Chapellier - Sofia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]