Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barflys, what kind of atmosphere do you prefer?

Flicka

One Too Many
Never encountered either. If it has anything of that bitter, beer taste, I won't like it. I did once find something called "Cola Beer" (it also came as "Lemon Beer") in Poland which was quite palatable. I think ,however, that was along the lines of a shandy, which is not so much girly as for children.

It's Belgian, and no, it doesn't have the traditional 'beer taste' at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gueuze

(kriek is basically geueze made with cherries)

I'm personally a fan of Mort Subite and I think that's one of the least 'ale like' brands, but there are plenty of Belgian breweries that make it (Lindemans is pretty common to find here). There are some micro breweries that make superb versions, but of course I can't remember any of them now. You should be able to find it in London in plenty of places. Otherwise, if you pass through Belgium, they have it in every bar, usually a selection of brands (both on tap and bottle). I've even heard it referred to as 'Brussels Champagne'!

And it comes in plenty of fruit versions besides kriek if you're adventurous (and feel secure enough in your masculinity not to be put off by the 'girliness') like 'pêcheresse' with peach, 'framboise' with raspberries...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
As far as bar atmosphere goes, I prefer a quiet lounge in a hotel sort of atmosphere. There is a great bar in the Baranoff Hotel in Juneau that was built in the 1930s, so the bar has a wonderful deco vibe.

An interesting bar here as well is The Imperial Saloon, the bar is almost 100 years old and most nights is a nice, quiet place to have a beer and a game of darts... but after 10pm on Friday and Saturday it becomes the only real dance club in town and thus I normally don't stay long, unless I run into friends.

So long story short, quiet, and old styled.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Flicka,

I think you and I have the same problem, our tastes are not tangent to those of our friends.

Beautiful bar by the way.

Flicka

One Too Many
I was once proposed to in Kelly's by an unknown man who interrupted his sweet talking, stood up and did the metal horn sign and roared: 'ME-shu-GAH!' straight in my face.

He was surprised I wouldn't give him my phone number...

Edward

Bartender
Link to a bar I really like:

http://www.grandhotel.se/en/explore/restaurants-and-bar/the-cadier-bar

And to where my friends usually drag me:

http://kellysbar.se/

See the difference?

Heh. Had that experience once or twice. In my undergraduate years - long pre-vintage, but certainly well into the underlying punk rock philosophy that led me in this direction - I was once taken to the Crescent nightclub/ bar n Belfast. Dreadful place, couldn't wait to get out. Very similar to the club in Trainspotting. A girl winked at me in there. Only time that's ever happened in a club. I assumed she was taking the pee pee - I still believe I was right. One of very, very few (maybe three?) experiences I've ever had of mainstream nightclubs. Hated them all.

I've never given my phone number to a stranger in a club or a bar. Nor would I ever.

Flicka

One Too Many
Heh. Had that experience once or twice. In my undergraduate years - long pre-vintage, but certainly well into the underlying punk rock philosophy that led me in this direction - I was once taken to the Crescent nightclub/ bar n Belfast. Dreadful place, couldn't wait to get out. Very similar to the club in Trainspotting. A girl winked at me in there. Only time that's ever happened in a club. I assumed she was taking the pee pee - I still believe I was right. One of very, very few (maybe three?) experiences I've ever had of mainstream nightclubs. Hated them all.

I've never given my phone number to a stranger in a club or a bar. Nor would I ever.

Me neither. I always assume all strangers are Ted Bundy. All info is on a need-to-know basis only (and they don't need to know).

I've never been winked at though. Maybe that poor girl had finally gathered enough courage to wink at a man and then you ignored her. She might have been scarred for life. Maybe she's still single because of it; living in a dreary flat with only a gold fish for company, pacing the eerily silent rooms and wondering where it all went wrong! ;)

I've actually been to the pub (the one in two storeys) in Trainspotting. Had a friend in Glasgow who lived right next to it.

I've always hated nightclubs too. Don't see the point with them. I almost only go to clubs to watch live music but not even that very often anymore. And I'm not much of a drinker. I like the taste just fine, but I hate being intoxicated.

Edward

Bartender
I've never been winked at though. Maybe that poor girl had finally gathered enough courage to wink at a man and then you ignored her. She might have been scarred for life. Maybe she's still single because of it; living in a dreary flat with only a gold fish for company, pacing the eerily silent rooms and wondering where it all went wrong! ;)

Ha..... somehow I doubt it. That's eerily close to how I ended up.... though I've never regretted not pursuing any of the options I turned down, only the relationships I did have. Ha....

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The kind of bars I love are the old ones that still have their original interior and tons of atmosphere - I loathe modern chi chi bars with too loud music and garish decor.

Here are my favourite pubs in Dublin - The Horseshoe Bar (the main bar is good too) in The Shelbourne Hotel, The Stag's Head and The Long Hall (the only problem is they are so popular they are jammers usually by 7.30, so you better be ok with standing!):

06Horseshoe-Bar.jpg

2163157075_daaf33c8c4.jpg

DublinLongHall.jpg

I think Raymond Chandler said it best.

"I like bars just after they open for the evening. When the air inside is still cool and clean and everything is shiny and the barkeep is giving himself that last look in the mirror to see if his tie is straight and his hair is smooth. I like the neat bottles on the bar back and the lovely shining glasses and the anticipation. I like to watch the man mix the first one of the evening and put it down on a crisp mat and put the little folded napkin beside it. I like to taste it slowly. The first quiet drink of the evening in a quiet bar -- that's wonderful."

...Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye

Flicka

One Too Many
The Crown looks spectacular!

OK, so the place where I used to hang out a lot a few years ago (the 'good' bands always play there):

slusseninnetouse_new-296x160.jpg

slussenrestaurangen_new1-296x160.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I like all sorts of atmospheres but one of the biggest things for me is what kind--if any--of music is playing. I was recently in the bar of a celebrity chef's restaurant in Las Vegas. Despite all of that, it was actually a beautiful room--great decor, fantastic bartender, wonderful choice of spirits. I had a really spectacular Manhattan made with a small batch rye, Amer Picon and hand marinated cherries. In short, the kind of place you could settle into and stay the whole night.... Except for the music. Completely out of synch with the ambiance, the music was LOUD techno/rap/house/lounge crap. Guaranteed to drive away discerning drinkers--even in Vegas. When I asked about the music, the bartender apologised but said that they cannot turn it down (it goes to eleven) and cannot change it as it is the celebrity chef's own iPod mix. Just because you can cook does mean you have an ear for music! Left after one drink, which was probably for the best, anyway! The wood panelled bar was calling out for Dgango, in my opinion.

Wild Bill's is long gone! It's Saj's now, just re-opened a few months ago, as a sports bar.

I discussed buying Wild Bill's, as it was for sale cheap, but the repairs would have bankrupted me fast. It would have been nice, though, and close. Don't get much closer than across the street lol

Come to think of it, how did you know about Wild Bill's? lol

If you ever win the lottery you could buy out Wild Bill's and turn it into Tommy's Main Street Tavern: Pardeeville's Unique Dining & Dancing Experience, ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner