Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bargins and favorite pieces!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WOW WOW WOW! That is stunning!! What a steal! I have such a big 20's hat addiction... but they're usually so expensive I just admire them from afar ;)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Three 30s day dresses from an antique store in my mother's hometown in the Midwest. They needed cleaning, but got all three for $25! Also, found two pairs of men's deadstock 30s white wool trousers for $5 (two for one sale on trousers) at Goodwill, sold one pair for a very decent profit!

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
My best finds were: a striped 40's evening gown, with the stripes on the bias and matching perfectly in the front, in my size, for $8 in an antique store in Ohio about 4 years ago, and a molded, beautiful pristine white 30s cloche, seen here-
000_1592.jpg

for free. I work with antique furniture dealers, and whenever clothing is come across stored inside, I get it free. Before me it used to be thrown away, :-( , which makes me very sad.

Rosie

One Too Many
I have to add to this because, just last week, I got two NOS early '50s evening clutch purses for one dollar!!!! WOW!!! One Buck!! There is a Salvation Army not too far from me and I've never ventured in because it just didn't look as though it had anything to offer (I know, I know) but, I sure will be going back.:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is by far my favorite piece of vintage. It is in perfect conditon, not a tear or a bead missing. It has a built in corset. To top it all off I bought it from a store that rarely sells vintage earlier than 1960, so the seller didn't really have any idea of it's worth, so I got it cheap. Just ignore the hat in the photos, I was having a horrible hair day, and just threw it on to cover up a messy doo!

Novella

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
This is by far my favorite piece of vintage. It is in perfect conditon, not a tear or a bead missing. It has a built in corset. To top it all off I bought it from a store that rarely sells vintage earlier than 1960, so the seller didn't really have any idea of it's worth, so I got it cheap. Just ignore the hat in the photos, I was having a horrible hair day, and just threw it on to cover up a messy doo!

Wow! That's a really beautiful dress - the color, the details, everything.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
One of the best finds I had within the last 6 months was an early early 30's light purple satin dress with the matching belt for $15 at an estate sale.
Here's a link

BTW, Daisy, most dresses pre-1920 (and even some afterward) had the construction inside you speak of. It's not actually a built in corset, but rather a structure to hold the garment in the correct shape. The hard bits are called boning, and most often inside these early gowns the inside fabric is a cotton type fabric in the shape of a vest that hooks and eyes (often with alternating directions of hook and eyes to prevent them coming undone during movement). The corset, chemise, etc would still be worn underneath this.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Two of my favourite pieces are actually not finds at all, but family pieces. I have my Grandma's charm braclet from the 40's and her ration book from WWII.
momschristmasgift.jpg

Now if it is an a bought piece, I would have to say it was this hat. I think I got it for 12 or 19$ I can't remember. I need to clean it up a bit as it was still a work in process when I bought it. :)
mac2f.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

I totally forgot about this suit. It's not vintage, but it does the job. I got it at H&M about 3 years ago, don't remember how much I paid, but I do know that it was very inexpensive. It's such a great suit, so versatile. I wear the skirt with a blouse or tight sweater, and the jacket looks cute with wide leg trousers or jeans if I dare to wear them. I've never gotten so much use out of a few articles of clothing, and I rarely hold onto something modern for such a long period of time. This is me in Newport, at the mansion they filmed "The Great Gatsby".

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I would say my best buy is my vintage wedding dress--$120 off of eBay. I took it to a tailor to do some work on it and she said it would sell at a vintage clothing store for $2,500. I'll post pictures after November 18th.

I also bought this gorgeous REGISTERED maroon formal dress from the 1930s in perfect condition for about $25 and wore it out to several dances. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
About 10 years ago I flew back to my hometown in Ohio and went antiquing with my sis. We stumbled upon a store on a country road that had enough Bakelite to make anyone weak in the knees! I walked out of there with a big paper bag full of chunky bracelets and necklaces for only $100! They had 1940s platforms, clothing, fabric, jewelry, etc!!! Unfortunately, the folks that ran that store have since retired, but I still have the jewelry.

What is it about Ohio and great bargains? I saw two posts noting Ohio as the place where they snatched up their best bargains. When I lived there I picked up some great furniture there! The estate sales were insane! Nothing like them in the Bay Area. Sigh!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Two of my favourite pieces are actually not finds at all, but family pieces. I have my Grandma's charm braclet from the 40's and her ration book from WWII.
momschristmasgift.jpg
QUOTE]

Lolita,

Is that you in that photo next to the original of your grandmother? If so, that is really fantastic. What a special thing! How did you go about doing that?

Jessica

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Daisy, I saw a similar jacket at H&M yesterday but it wasn´t as cute as yours! After all they have loads of 40s inspired stuff there right now. I have to stop by there today or tommorow again :D

Daisy Buchanan

Hey Sari and Lauren,
I haven't been to H&M in a while. I'll have to check them out. I got that suit at least 3 years ago, and it sat in my closet for about a year, before I started wearing the heck out of it. It's so comfortable. It's a shame, I don't think that H&M sells on-line. That would be better than trying to get through the traffic in LA. I'll have to look them up again. I checked out their website a few months ago, and it was just an advertisement for them, they didn't actually offer any product. We have three near us, a really nice one in downtown Boston, but I'd rather drive to the one in the suburbs or Cambridge, than take the T downtown in this heat and humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24