Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bargins and favorite pieces!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
H&M is Swedish clothing chain that sells lower priced clothing. Think a European Forever 21.

I was in there last month when in Chicago, and they have adorable stuff. Like linen pants for $25. They had some really 40's looking pinafore dresses as well.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
VintageJess said:
Lolita,

Is that you in that photo next to the original of your grandmother? If so, that is really fantastic. What a special thing! How did you go about doing that?

Jessica

Jessica... Thank you. For my Mom's Christmas present, I thought it would be fun to recreate this photo of my Grandma. It was the last thing I wanted to do before I went back to blonde. I had a photoshoot sheduled with a friend of mine Josh Curtis (he pops in here in a blue moon) and I asked him if he would help me recreate the original. All I had was the braclet, hair and makeup. He supplied the dress (which I was amazed had the same neckline and color) and the pearls (unfortunately they weren't the same color) and a bowtie that I jimmied as a hair ribbon. Oddly enough, I wasn't wearing eyeliner in this photo so I don't know why my eyes look lined. :( I figured this would take the longest of all the photos, just because I wanted it so right. We got this shot in less than 5 mins! All he did was use a bedroom wall as the backdrop and I sat in an office chair that was turned sideways.

A bit of a tidbit... My Grandmother died a little over a month before I was born and people remark on the family resemblence... My Mommie was adopted, so I have no blood relation to this lady! :D

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
H&M is Swedish clothing chain that sells lower priced clothing. Think a European Forever 21.

I was in there last month when in Chicago, and they have adorable stuff. Like linen pants for $25. They had some really 40's looking pinafore dresses as well.

Really? Every time I pass one of the stores in SF it just looks like it is full of boho chic and that's it. And sadly their Website looks very boho chic.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Etienne said:
Hate to sound dumb, but what is H and M? BTW, Daisy, you look adorable in that suit!!
Thanks so much Etienne, I appreciate the kind sentiments.

Lolita, that picture is incredible. The likeness between you and your Grandmother is amazing, I got goose bumps when I read that she is not a blood relative. What a nice gesture to do for your mom, very thoughtful.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Daisy... Thank you. This is the gift that keeps on giving because other people are snagging the idea and doing it for their folks and that makes me quite happy! :) Even weirder, my mother's brother (also adopted and not blood related to my Mom) looks like my Grandma's father! All this adopted family resemblence is crazy!

Daisy Buchanan said:
Lolita, that picture is incredible. The likeness between you and your Grandmother is amazing, I got goose bumps when I read that she is not a blood relative. What a nice gesture to do for your mom, very thoughtful.

KAT

A-List Customer
Lauren Henline said:

HENNES AND MAURITZ
I think they Do have one in San Diego! I saw a girl once with a H&M bag running around...???maybe Im wrong!
I used to shop there a lot but not anymore
1- cause im in CA :eusa_doh:
2- everybody used to run around with that stuff

every once ina while its good for underwear, purses, nick nack...you have to get very creative ...[huh] ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Their clothes to me all look like they are dressing extras in Beyond Thunderdome

ferals.jpg

LD

maisie

Practically Family
This has got to be a favorite suit of mine, its brown and kelly green (those colours go so well together!!:eusa_clap ) and it has a green skirt with a brown pleat that you can see when you move (but not in the picture unfotunatly!:( ) It has a big collar as well, buut i don't have a clue what to wear under it, maybe a scarf??

0e_12.jpg
0e_122.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
one of the best cheap items ive found was a gorgeous gunmetal 1950's cocktail dress with an atomic print for $9. it has a deep v-neck and a really small waist and fits me like a glove! i havent seen anything like it before.

another excellent deal ive gotten is a mint condition old stock pink satin girdle (with garters) from the 1940's. i got it (including shipping from the netherlands) for $90, which i think is definitely a deal! it still had tags and everything on it. its absolutely beautiful. the only problem is that its a smidge too loose at the waist. its still a great collector's piece though.

heres a picture of it!

zzn%20153.jpg
zzn%20158.jpg

unfortunately, it doenst look so great on the mannequin, but its a beauty in real life.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Here is my lovely brown suit!

Detail:
BrownSuitdetailphoto01.jpg

This was my great-aunt's suit from way back, I'm not sure on the date (any ideas?). She made it herself, and did a beautiful job. Lucky me... apparently I am her exact size!

I do need to find or make a nice dickey or two, now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner