Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baron California Hats?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Anybody familiar with these guys? They claim to do custom reproductions from movies and such. I stumbled onto their website, and while the prices are high for me, I can dream. Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Bebop

Practically Family
I have heard about them. They have been around for a long time but I have never experienced them first hand. They are in Burbank Ca. and supposedly have a very well stocked store. Their name has been tossed around as being hatters to some movies but I really don't know how much weight to put into it. It might be just because they are the only hat store in proximity to the studios. While in Los Angeles, I called to get a street address and they are closed on Sundays which was the day I was there.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I go to the shop now and again... Mark is the owner and they make hats for lots of movies. If you do a search on the lounge you will find many refference to www.baronhats.com.

I have had rouble with them in the past and don't really trust them to clean or block a dress hat. i think of them more as a cowboy hatter with costuming tendencies for the movie industy.

They supplied alot of the hats for Seabiscuit.

shamus

Suspended
I've been in there a time or two also, and got the feeling that they really didn't care for me being there. But maybe it was a bad day or something. They are not a gentleman's hat shop but more a we sell hats... some gentleman, some cowboy, some for movies...

Hondo

One Too Many
How much would you pay for a custom made hat? Most I ever paid was $175 (plus s/h) The No Name hats are expensive, no worth my time.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Hondo said:
How much would you pay for a custom made hat? Most I ever paid was $175 (plus s/h) The No Name hats are expensive, no worth my time.

I really have trouble justifying an expenditure of more than $200 for any custom hat. The fact is that you can get a pretty decent custom hat for around $150-$175 from some of the vendors that are members of The Lounge.

Just my $0.02, but I find it very difficult to believe that there is much difference between a $175 Steve Delk custom and a $300-$500 Baron or Brown hat. Of course preferences being what they are, your milage may vary.

As far as I know custom hatters get their felt bodies from only a few felters. Hatmaker 'A' may get the same body that his competitor, Hatmaker 'B', gets to make his hat. The bodies probably cost about $50. Sweat, ribbon and liner probably cost another $6 to $10 total. Time and equipment adds to the cost, for sure. But I don't think that I'm really getting more hat from one of the big guns.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Some of the Custom Hatters make you pay for the mystique...
...like we don't know what goes into the process- as if there's some mystical alchemy- 'base metal into Gold ' process. Some just charge you for the materials and their labour.
Some of the 'cheaper' bench hats are definitely better than some of the 'dearer' ones.

There are apparently different markets for hats and various vendors plying their trade to these markets- we here, are aware of both- and some of us are resistant to the higher cost hats-

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I agree!

BellyTank said:
Some of the Custom Hatters make you pay for the mystique...
...like we don't know what goes into the process- as if there's some mystical alchemy- 'base metal into Gold ' process. Some just charge you for the materials and their labour.
Some of the 'cheaper' bench hats are definitely better than some of the 'dearer' ones.

There are apparently different markets for hats and various vendors plying their trade to these markets- we here, are aware of both- and some of us are resistant to the higher cost hats-

B
T

I agree the informed and uninformed . Or those people thant think the more you pay it must be better. Not!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think it's settled

Sounds to me like "steer clear" is the collective wisdom. If I feel like spending $200 plus on a new hat, I think I'll just go with an Adventurebilt.

By the way, Hondo! Cool avatar.

Thanks everybody!

Doh!

One Too Many
New guy here...

I was just there last week and was most UN-impressed by the stock they have on hand. Mostly wool felts that could be acquired by any tourist-y shop in the mall. Their display cases showed some really cool movie hats (military and cowboy stuff for the most part) but if you're looking for a traditional hat shop -- like I was -- I think you'll be disappointed.

World Hat Mart in Pasadena has more of a traditional feel about it, but only seem to carry Stetons in fur felt. However, they do have a LOT more stock to browse through.

Hondo

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
I really have trouble justifying an expenditure of more than $200 for any custom hat. The fact is that you can get a pretty decent custom hat for around $150-$175 from some of the vendors that are members of The Lounge.

Just my $0.02, but I find it very difficult to believe that there is much difference between a $175 Steve Delk custom and a $300-$500 Baron or Brown hat. Of course preferences being what they are, your milage may vary.

As far as I know custom hatters get their felt bodies from only a few felters. Hatmaker 'A' may get the same body that his competitor, Hatmaker 'B', gets to make his hat. The bodies probably cost about $50. Sweat, ribbon and liner probably cost another $6 to $10 total. Time and equipment adds to the cost, for sure. But I don't think that I'm really getting more hat from one of the big guns.

You have my exact sentiments when it comes to a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHat?¢‚Ǩ? I intend to wear the sucker not keep it under glass or in some case or cabinet. $200 is enough.
I like a hat thats well weathered :cheers1:

Hondo

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Sounds to me like "steer clear" is the collective wisdom. If I feel like spending $200 plus on a new hat, I think I'll just go with an Adventurebilt.

By the way, Hondo! Cool avatar.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks :cool: I like a woman with a little animal in her ;) Werewolf in this case:p

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I think Belly Tank said it best when he talked about the customer paying for mystique when he buys a big name like Baron. I like a hat or cap that is reasonably priced. I can remember there was a time when people would only buy Stetson or Dobbs, and they were the big names. I will continue to buy Stetson because I really don't see anything wrong with them. But what the hell do I know. I've been wearing eight panel caps now for awhile and my fedoras only come out for church or special ocassions. So now I really can't see spending alot of money for a hat that only comes out of the box for a few hours a week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff