Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bash." Not a hatter's term?

Artie

Suspended
The truth is I don't mind Dissecting minutia, it can be both fun and enlightening. and the heavens know I have learned tons of stuff that I would have not have had access to any where else but here. But I do think some times we do have to be reminded that it really is all for fun. And Bartender warning I'm on my second martini so I might start posting old Bukowski poems at any time! ( I almost got my keester suspended last week)!:D

JimWagner

Practically Family
JimWagner said:
I have to admit that I didn't know that bashing a hat was a good thing before stumbling onto this site. I know that when my car gets bashed it's a bad thing.

And apparently I disturbed the force. A woman driving without a license slammed into me as I was backing my pickup into my driveway this evening. Her excuse was that her accelerator got stuck. Wasn't even a Toyota. :rage:

So now my pickup has been bashed. Lucky I wasn't injured. Badly. She missed the front half of the truck. Probably totaled this time. Bent frame.

TomS

One Too Many
I think it's a matter of perspective. I'm new to both the forum /hats, and I figured it was a common expression understood the world over. I've been using the term like *everybody* would know what I was talking about...lol

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
My problem with "bash" is that it seems crude and inelegant, as opposed to "creasing" or "styling." Makes it sound like one has no respect for the hat.lol

I'll stick with the terms the "Gentlemen Hatters" used. :)

Brad

Agree. Who wants to smash/punch their hats into shape?
I dislike the word bash when applied to hats and though I cringe at times:p when I hear it/read it I can tolerate. Tolerance, that's all.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wear your lid to a party, a bash if you will, preferably one where there will be a lot of extremely intoxicated people ... hence the term bash...

...and don't call me in the morning. ;)

James71

A-List Customer
The term "bash" for shaping the hat is certainly not a Floungism. (although I am certain "Floungism" is)

Its common terminology around my neck of the woods, and Ive never heard of that process being called anything else.

You take it to the Milliner for "blocking", or you bash the damn thing yourself. I was always under the impression that it was a WWI colloquialism.

The hats my parents gave me when I was growing up were unissued slouch hats and came open.

I was in the hattery yesterday looking at the Fed IV and asked the Milliner if they would bash it for me. She said they usually charge $20 for that, but my friends and I buy a lot of hats, (and coffees.... and lunches....) there so Im sure she will do it for me if I ask nicely. They are lovely gals in there.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I like the term bash, whatever its origin. Crease and block sound nice, but they are both inappropriate to describe the action I take.

I try as hard as possible to avoid creasing, because it makes it difficult to change the hat again later. Blocking is likewise incorrect, as I do not have a block.

I guess shaping would also work, but it is so much less interesting than bashing.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Yeps said:
I try as hard as possible to avoid creasing, because it makes it difficult to change the hat again later.

But I believe that implies a too-narrow meaning of "crease" .

For example, "cattleman's crease" is the standard crown shape of western hats these days. That doesn't mean it has any sharp edges, it's just not round. I doubt anyone would say "bowler crease", but it goes for just about any other style of hat, and it is precisely the word for it, outside of Australia and this web forum.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Buler recently illustrated the difference between bashed and shaped.

bashed
buler said:
borso_box.jpg

borsos_1.jpg

shaped
buler said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails