Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic make-up

Gabi

New in Town
Hey

I have broken right arm and I can't put on my make up. Of course I can't go out without it. Any suggestion?

rue

I'm so sorry you broke your arm!

I would suggest trying to put on concealer, blush and mascara if you can manage it with your left hand. I broke my fingers on my right hand once and that's about all I could do.

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Welcome Gabi, sorry to hear about your arm.

I would agree with the girls, powder, blusher, mineral makeup if you need some coverage and mascara can be done with one hand quite well. Perhaps a lip tint or gloss. I can curl my eyelashes with my left hand too. Like Rue i broke some fingers on my right hand and managed quite well. Some neutral shimmery eyeshadow could be ok too as it wouldn't need to be too precise.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge! Sorry to hear about your broken arm.

Honestly, I can't go without foundation. I have good skin that's very even and I don't really need coverage, but powder just will not stay on me without something good to "stick" to. At the very least I need a tinted moisturizer. I also never curl my lashes. I'm a beauty anomaly. :lol:

In your situation, I'd try to do powder or a powder foundation that you could buff on with a brush, and maybe lip gloss and mascara. Nude or light eyeshadow would be easy, too.

Perhaps you can find some willing siblings or friends to apply makeup for you! :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have often wondered what I would do about my make-up if I couldn't use my right hand. Everybody's suggestions are great - But if you're like me and simply won't be seen without precise touches (eyeliner, brow pencil, etc.) then I would sit down in front of the mirror and train myself to use my left hand.

My reasoning: you had to practice doing your make-up with your dominant hand to get it looking perfect, you can do the same with your other hand. The only difference is this time, you know how you want it to come out! :)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
The other ladies have great advice! Now, I'm not sure what your favorite eras are, but perhaps you could go for a '20s/'30s look while your hand recovers... that is, smudgy eyeshadow that requires little precision.

Also, I suppose this is technically "wrong", but I've always used my fingers to apply liquid foundation, and I quite often use my left hand for that (...as I can't be bothered to wash the liquid eyeliner smears from my right hand lol). Same goes for slapping on powder with a puff.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I agree with C-Dot but then again I am pretty good with my left hand. That being said in the summer if I am not doing much of anything I just use concealer to cover redness and under eye circles (I use a triangle sponge). Then I have to put my eyebrows on since they hair is so light naturally. then blush and mascara and if I am feeling really ambitious I might powder the entire thing to keep shine down. But the left hand idea is great, and what I would probably do. I hope your arms recovers nicely and fast.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have often wondered what I would do about my make-up if I couldn't use my right hand. Everybody's suggestions are great - But if you're like me and simply won't be seen without precise touches (eyeliner, brow pencil, etc.) then I would sit down in front of the mirror and train myself to use my left hand.

My reasoning: you had to practice doing your make-up with your dominant hand to get it looking perfect, you can do the same with your other hand. The only difference is this time, you know how you want it to come out! :)

Funnily enough, after i read your post i just had to go see if i could do a reasonable eyebrow. I have to add some definition to my eyebrows too, or else i just look very wan. I managed to pencil in a passable eyebrow with my left hand, holding the pencil nearly at the tip and using very small strokes!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Funnily enough, after i read your post i just had to go see if i could do a reasonable eyebrow. I have to add some definition to my eyebrows too, or else i just look very wan. I managed to pencil in a passable eyebrow with my left hand, holding the pencil nearly at the tip and using very small strokes!

I tried it this morning, too. The eyebrow came out okay, but the eyeliner was a hopeless failure! I'm sure if my arm were broken, though, I would be driven to do it perfectly. Can't be going out without my cats eyes. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Exactly!! Perhaps semi-permanent eyeliner would start to look appealing, or as you said, you would driven to do it for sure. Perhaps you need to get the BF practising, that would be an option :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps you need to get the BF practising, that would be an option :D

About 9 years ago I was in a serious accident and my right arm was in pretty bad shape, and I sometimes still have issues. My husband has volunteered to flat iron my hair or help me with my makeup several times when I've complained about my arms getting tired. It kind of scares me. :lol: I always think of that episode of Friends where Ross did Rachel's makeup before an event and she looked awful.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Exactly!! Perhaps semi-permanent eyeliner would start to look appealing, or as you said, you would driven to do it for sure. Perhaps you need to get the BF practising, that would be an option :D

That's an idea lol But like FWGal says, I shudder to think of how it would look (if I could even persuade him to do it!)

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if this makes any sense or not, but one time I hurt my one hand and I'd just kind of hold my brushes in place and kind of move my face instead of my hand. I found that I had absolutely no control with my left hand, but that I could usually move my face around the brush to get the right sort of effect.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's an idea lol But like FWGal says, I shudder to think of how it would look (if I could even persuade him to do it!)

True! Actually it would be my son who would have to help me, which doesn't bear thinking about,:eeek: (although he is great at brushing hair and does a mean pony-tail).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo