Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman Begins

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anybody seen it?????? It's without a doubt the best movie of the year. Makes "Sith" look amatuer. Virtually flawless.
flat-top

Feraud

Bartender
Loved it!

Sith who??
I saw Batman Begins this weekend. It is an incredible comic book movie!

I have been waiting for this movie for a couple of years, since I heard Christoper Nolan was set to direct. Nolan, whose past films include Insomnia with Al Pacino and the incredibly 'noir-ish' Memento starring Guy Pearce is headed for greatness! Dare I say he is a storyteller on par with the greats like Kurosawa, Ford, and Hitchcock?

The movie chose to do an origin and crimefighting story combined. It is over two hours so there was enough time to develop the story. Thanks to some good directing, the film does not lag. Nolan in his usual style, chooses to tell large parts of the story in flashback. It is not hard to follow the flashbacks and fits well with the character being influenced by his past.

This film is more about the character of the Batman rather than an 'out and out' action film. There is enough fighting, driving and gadgets to satisfy the aficionado of the comic.

I will not go too far into the story and let any spoilers slip. I will say that Gotham is in peril from corrupt politicans and those who think the city's time has come to an end. Bruce Wayne/Batman is a man whose family name and fortune stems from what made Gotham great. He is not going to stand by and let it be destroyed....

Dalexs

Practically Family
Unfortunately, I've only seen it twice now, but I am definately impressed.
This is the best telling of Batman story so far.
And while I was a fan of Michael Keatons Batman/Bruce Wayne,
Bale nailed both characters 100%.

Dalexs

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I find it funny that we can have different actors to play Batman or Bond, but for me, I just can't see anyone playing Indy besides Ford. But yes, Bale definitely pulled it off quite well.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Maybe that's because Batman and James Bond existed on the printed page (and in the minds of readers) before they were made into movies, but Harrison Ford *defines* Indiana Jones?

I totally agree, nobody else can be Indy!

flat-top

I think Christian Bale has made it hard anyone ELSE to play Batman/ Bruce Wayne now. He really became the character(s), like Toby Maguire as Spidey/ Peter Parker. I don't think the previous "Batmen" really owned the role like Bale does.
flat-top

Feraud

Bartender
flat-top said:
I don't think the previous "Batmen" really owned the role like Bale does.
flat-top
Wha?! No way!! Michael Keaton was great in the role(IMHO :) ;) )! Bale did a very good job too.

ITG started me thinking about actors playing characters when she compared the Batman, James Bond, and Indiana Jones characters. As movie goers we seem to have embraced multiple actors playing James Bond, Batman, Philip Marlowe. I would not want to see anyone but Ford play Indiana Jones yet am indifferent to the number of actors who have played James Bond. I am torn between the performances of Philip Marlowe by Bogie and Powell. I like 'em both!

Makes you wonder how/why we identify an actor with their screen character...

flat-top

"Wha?! No way!! Michael Keaton was great in the role(IMHO )! Bale did a very good job too."
Agreed! Keaton was good, but I think Bale really fleshed out the character like we haven't seen before. Props to Chris Nolan for creating such a fully realized Batman!
flat-top

flat-top

"Christian Bale reminded me of the charcterter in American Psycho in several scenes where he was dressed in a lounge suit."
Bateman/ Batman........hmmmm.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I'm betting on Mark Hamill, he is the most popular fan choice.

I mean, the fan community basically picked Bale for the role of Batman anyway.

Hopefully the Execs at Warner and Nolan will listen to the community yet again and ask Hamill to do it.

Which he probably would if only for love of the character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21